Bachmann announce Narrow Gauge range led by Baldwin 4-6-0T

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

From what I see and understand the dimensions for the sound decoder are 20 x 9.5 x 3.5 mm. The smaller dimensions are for a standard decoder?

Correct , sorry I looked at the wrong pic, I blame the grainy image.

MX659N18 (20 x 9,5 x 4 mm)

Correct , sorry I looked at the wrong pic, I blame the grainy image.

MX659N18 (20 x 9,5 x 4 mm)

No need to apologise - I had to look three or four times to make sense of it!

Would it still fit I wonder??

Thanks for the link anyway as it is very useful

• RMweb Gold

Would it still fit I wonder??

Always nice when someone helps :)

According to the dimensions Roy Link posted on NGRM yes it should be a snug fit. Might have to trim the heat shrink sleeve with it being so tight though.

Living and working where you do, the Press would have us believe you are lucky to be upright and alert!

Fortunately as 'Spoons' wasn't affected the Salisbury emergency plan wasn't activated. Just lots of bored coppers and it looks like a Police national convention at the Premier Inn ;)

The Magazine reviews are being published in   most of  the  mags  around  now  so far  I have  only seen  the  RM (may issue),, some  nice  pics   of  a  weathered  Hummy, one  thing  noted  is  the  loco weight is given as 59gm  which seems a little on  the  light side,  given  some  of  the  loco's construction  is in  metal (  quoted from review smokebox, front part of  the  boiler, tanks & Frame)

As a  comparison a Roco H0e 0-6-0T Feldbahnloco  weighs  98gm  and  the  Heljan MW weighs 138gm

If you wish to know what  59gm feels  like  7 x £1 coins  weigh just  over  at  62gm

I am  quite  looking  forward  to  receiving  mine  though :locomotive:

Edited by Stevelewis
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A quick look at the all new Bachmann Narrow Gauge - 009 Scale - Baldwin Class 10-12-D 4-6-0T, in Weathered WDLR Black Livery. For a first in 009, Bachmann have done a superb job in capturing the overall look of these iconic Narrow Gauge Locomotives.

The model throughout features a high level of detail, including extensively detailed cab interior, directional headlamps, as well characteristic daylight under the boiler, as well as wealth of separately fitted parts, such as pipe work and turned brass whistle.

Straight from the box, performance is smooth and quite, thanks to their powerful Coreless Motors.

In this video, we take a look at the Baldwin in action on my WW1 Trench Railway, hauling a Troop/Supply Train to the Front Line.

Full Review Coming Soon!

Hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVTV82MR9YE

• Like 7

For  info  ARCADIA RAIL  01706882900  has  just  4  Locos remaining for  sale from  the  initial  delivery    No 778  weathered version  a phone  call is  suggested  should you require  one!

Edited by Stevelewis

Is  that  a  sound  decoder?

If  so  I need  3!

Steve,

Yes it is.

The speaker is fitted as standard, just remove a coupe of moulded items (not glued - intended for removal), release two screws from below, lift the smoke box/ side tanks/moulding clear, remove the blanking plate and plug the ZIMO MX659N18 sound decoder in the NexT18 socket in the loco. Test all working then replace removed items (not the blanking plate obviously) and have some fun.

Best regards,

Paul

• Like 1

Thanks Paul

,  It  looks  pretty  straight  forward,  I  like  Next  18  decoders,  I have  used quite  few  of  them  in Continental Outline  N  gauge  locos over  the last  couple of  years  and  they certainly do the  job  without  problems.

My First Baldwin is in the post as we speak  and  2 more  should  arrive  as  and  when so to speak!

Am I correct  in thinking  that  The  decoder fitted  in  the  SLW class 24  is  ZIMO?,  If  the  Baldwin  one  is  half  as  good  as  the  24  then  it  will be  brilliant, who  would  have  thought 20 years  ago  we  would  have  a  sound  decoder with  FoG Signal/Detonator  sounds  included?  Mind  you  20 years  ago  we  did not even  have  digital ready locos,  just  soldering iron burnt  fingertips!

Thanks Paul

,  It  looks  pretty  straight  forward,  I  like  Next  18  decoders,  I have  used quite  few  of  them  in Continental Outline  N  gauge  locos over  the last  couple of  years  and  they certainly do the  job  without  problems.

My First Baldwin is in the post as we speak  and  2 more  should  arrive  as  and  when so to speak!

Am I correct  in thinking  that  The  decoder fitted  in  the  SLW class 24  is  ZIMO?,  If  the  Baldwin  one  is  half  as  good  as  the  24  then  it  will be  brilliant, who  would  have  thought 20 years  ago  we  would  have  a  sound  decoder with  FoG Signal/Detonator  sounds  included?  Mind  you  20 years  ago  we  did not even  have  digital ready locos,  just  soldering iron burnt  fingertips!

Yes, the sound decoder in the SLW Class 24 is a ZIMO, but a different model. More importantly, there's only a single small speaker in the Baldwin, whereas the Class 24 has a pair of 'Dumbo' speakers in specially designed enclosures.

Best regards,

Paul

• Like 1

The  SLW class  24  sound  ranks  amongst  the  best if not the  best  loco sound  I have experienced,  I actually  enjoy simply letting one of them sit on the  layout  and ticking  over  whilst  I do something  else!