Bachmann announce Narrow Gauge range led by Baldwin 4-6-0T

Andy Y

The  SLW class  24  sound  ranks  amongst  the  best if not the  best  loco sound  I have experienced,  I actually  enjoy simply letting one of them sit on the  layout  and ticking  over  whilst  I do something  else!  

I’d agree with that. It makes me think of the line, “I don’t suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.” Ever full of the milk of human kindness, I once observed to someone recovering from depression that it was quite common amongst people who don’t model railways. I think the rest of the world needs me to go on a course about tact.  :fool:

You know where I can get one from? :) Very tempted... 

Digitrains.

Where else for Narrow Gauge and Industrial loco sound projects?

You've probably got a week or so to save up before the decoders are available again.

Best regards,

Paul

Edited by pauliebanger

Digitrains.

Where else for Narrow Gauge and Industrial loco sound projects?

You've probably got a week or so to save up before the decoders are available again.

Best regards,

Paul

Got any footage of one in action?  :locomotive:

post-10539-0-78189300-1525364511.jpgMy 778 arrived  from  Arcadia  today excellent  price  same as  the  big  boys,  stunning  model  smooth  runner

I fitted  a  decoder  it  takes  about  10 mins  probably less when  you  have done  the  first  one!

Arcadia advised me  that 778 is no longer  available to order from Bachmann  all sold  out,  so  I  bought  another  one, which  I will alter  the  number of.

Arcadia   have  just a couple  left  for  sale now

Edited by Stevelewis
  • Like 2

My pair arrived today. Really impressed.  Run very well and once run in, they can start a 10 bogie wagon train up a 1 in 30 gradient (which is 2 more than my loops can cope with). 

Photos are often unkind in high magnification, but this just seems to get better, the closer you get... I’m very impressed indeed.

Also demonstrates that there is no insoluble problem in making functional, indicative motion in a 009 rtr model...

Photos are often unkind in high magnification, but this just seems to get better, the closer you get... I’m very impressed indeed.

Also demonstrates that there is no insoluble problem in making functional, indicative motion in a 009 rtr model...

Yes  the  valve  gear  seems  superb on my  2,  after  suffering  the  great  disappointment  and  frustration  with failed gear on 3 x MWs I am  very  pleased.

I also note  that  the  slow running  is also  slow  and  superb,  these 2  have decoders  fitted  and  slow  does  really  mean  slow! Imperceptable  movement  probably much slower  than would ever be required in normal use

It is  good  to  note  also  that  Bachmann have  taken  the  extra  step in providing 4 axle power collection,   thus increasing  the  length of  the power collecting wheelbase.

(The  'fixed. front bogie  wheelset  being  the one  collecting  power,  and  it  does really work, I tested this on the  track by standing all 6 driving wheels on a piece of paper to  insulate them from the  rails)

Edited by Stevelewis
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Comparison with a GEM/RT kit built one. You can just about see the daylight under the boiler, something that would be very difficult to achieve with the GEM kit.

post-6821-0-77350600-1525515264_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

I’m prepared to wait a year for the unweathered version. Am I the only one to think that this looks like an engineering prototype?

Reports of the running are welcome and very encouraging.

I  have  to  agree the finish is  a  little 'bland' perhaps for 'weathered' a little  bit  too uniform,  so I think a little  more weathering  will be  applied to mine eventually.

Another little 'discovery' I made  when  fitting  the  decoder to one of mine  I found the  steam  dome  was loose  ( the other loco was  fine)  it  was  no  problem as it  just clips into place on the boiler, I did notice  that  there  was  what appeared to be a small metal weight in  the steam dome, no doubt Bachmann have  made the  effort to make the loco as  heavy as poss,.

The  addition of a couple  of  white metal loco crew will increase the  weight  by around 6 grams  , and I shall be on the  lookout  for  some  white metal detail parts  ( Buckets  toolboxes etc) to help further. 

Edited by Stevelewis

I  have  to  agree the finish is  a  little 'bland' perhaps for 'weathered' a little  bit  too uniform,  so I think a little  more weathering  will be  applied to mine eventually.

The  addition of a couple  of  white metal loco crew will increase the  weight  by around 6 grams  , and I shall be on the  lookout  for  some  white metal detail parts  ( Buckets  toolboxes etc) to help further. 

Jacks and re-railing bars would be prototypical, I believe.

Agree about the finish - it does look a little uniform for what is supposed to be weathered black paint.

Works photographic grey.

It says black weathered on the box. There are water stains on the front the front near the filler caps but otherwise it seems fairly plain.

Runs well generally but doesn't like uneven bits of track - probably due to small wheels and light weight.

• RMweb Premium

Would American modellers be that bothered if it was to 7mm scale? It would be good if they also made the chassis narrow enough for 014 modellers. But I'm wandering off topic, time to play with my newly acquired 778 from Invicta (all sold now).

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I found my Baldwin to be a bit hesitant at times, I reckoned not all the pick-ups were working. So I took the keeper plate off to have a look.

post-6821-0-35400500-1525807299_thumb.jpg

Note the sprung axle.

post-6821-0-98483600-1525807297_thumb.jpg

One pick-up definitely not right.

post-6821-0-66631400-1525807296_thumb.jpg

After adjustment all was ok.

• Like 1