Bachmann announce Narrow Gauge range led by Baldwin 4-6-0T

Andy Y

Got mine today, it ran smoothly in both directions straight out the box. It’s a beautiful model, so much detail and the daylight under the boiler is amazing in such a tiny loco.

I want to fit sound to it in future, I looked at both the Loksound and Zimo next18 sound decoders, both were bigger than the size suggested in the manual. Are there any plans for a dedicated decoder for it or will a slightly bigger one fit?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I looked at both the Loksound and Zimo next18 sound decoders, both were bigger than the size suggested in the manual. Are there any plans for a dedicated decoder for it or will a slightly bigger one fit?

See Pauliebangers post two pages back, photos of the loco with top off, and it will be available in the next couple of weeks through Digitrains ;)

• Like 1

Got mine today, it ran smoothly in both directions straight out the box. It’s a beautiful model, so much detail and the daylight under the boiler is amazing in such a tiny loco.

I want to fit sound to it in future, I looked at both the Loksound and Zimo next18 sound decoders, both were bigger than the size suggested in the manual. Are there any plans for a dedicated decoder for it or will a slightly bigger one fit?

Have a look at this post http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/87702-Bachmann-announce-narrow-gauge-range-led-by-baldwin-4-6-0t/?p=3149887

This shows a ZIMO sound decoder fitted to the model. It's a new decoder, ZIMO MX659N18, specially designed to fit this and other small models.

Best regards,

Paul

• Like 1

i cranked mine round 6 inch  roundy type curves  and it is on the edge but works and pulls and pushes assorted rolling stock like Bachmann  weighted Peco 4 wheelers  and Roco vans .It needs a good oiling (dont we all ducky) when I can find the lube .

Have a look at this post http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/87702-Bachmann-announce-narrow-gauge-range-led-by-baldwin-4-6-0t/?p=3149887

This shows a ZIMO sound decoder fitted to the model. It's a new decoder, ZIMO MX659N18, specially designed to fit this and other small models.

Best regards,

Paul

Thank you for that. Putting one of the kids on eBay now.

Does it come from Digitrains with the sonunds on or do they charge extra for that? I couldn’t see a window at checkout for adding a choice of sound. If not where did you get the Baldwin sounds and how much extra was it?

Edited by devondynosoar118
  • Like 3

Thank you for that. Putting one of the kids on eBay now.

Does it come from Digitrains with the sonunds on or do they charge extra for that? I couldn’t see a window at checkout for adding a choice of sound. If not where did you get the Baldwin sounds and how much extra was it?

Digitrains do not charge extra for loading the sound project of your choice.

It's not yet available, all initial supply of decoders have gone, but when it is, the price you see will be the price of the decoder including the Baldwin sound project loaded.

The model comes with a speaker fitted as standard so that will be the total cost. (plus postage unless you collect from store or or a show).

Go to the Digitrainssound (ZIMO) pages rather than the decoder pages*, and select the project from there. Normally you would need to specify the decoder type but in this instance there's only one which will fit so they'll know which to send.

If you can't see the project you need, an email or phone call will often turn up something not yet listed, so that's worth a try.

*Pages start here, but Baldwin not yet listed: http://digitrains.co.uk/ecommerce/search.aspx?loc=1&q=&c=1&m=51&pg=1&s=ProductNameAsc&ppp=10

Best regards,

Paul

Edited by pauliebanger
  • Like 1

Thank you. Once I collect the money from sale of children I will give them a ring. Glad they are sold out/not ready yet or the credit card would have taken the hit instead.

I like this new style of plug in decoder, so much easier than soldering tiny decoder wires.

• Like 1

For  information  I  have been  testing  the  haulage capacity  of  my 2  Baldwins  today,  this  was  done   on a continuous run layout  in a  shed  approx. 8 x 6'  the minimum radius  is  around 14"  and    it is level with no gradients.

Both locos  performed  almost  exactly the  same,  hauling   easily  5 Bachmann  bogie wagons* ( 2 vans & 3 opens)  plus  4 Peco 4 wheel opens  with resin 'coal' loads and 3  Peco 4 whl  vans which have additional weighting added.  that is  a  total of  34 axles .

When  I  added  a  Peco  L& B  coach  wheel slip occurred on  the  curves with one  loco  whilst the  other  loco stalled on  curves!

I will try  them  on  the  layout  with  gradients  at  a  later  date

*The  Bachmann open  bogie  wagons are  loaded  with resin ballast  loads 

Edited by Stevelewis

• RMweb Gold

After the recommeded running in on a circuit I popped it on my WW1 module to compare it to the Minitrains loco. The detail really does show but they look good together so now to do a bit to the Minitrains one to bring it up a bit :)

41277283054_971986fdf3_h.jpgBachmann 009 Baldwin by -salisburyASC-

then I put it with the Bachmann stock :)

41096571595_e2de7b1994_h.jpgBachmann 009 Baldwin by -salisburyASC-

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Gold

Well that's a little annoying, a bit of a lost opportunity if you asked me.

Minitrains is a German manufacturer so no real surprise there. The scale of their models varies between 3.5-4mm to match size wise. Much like LGB the rubber ruler is used so all their products look good together. It's been discussed many times and Andreas, Mr Minitrains, says that's how he likes to do it so feel free to have a go yourself ;)

Both locos run superbly and it's only when right next to each other it's so obvious. At least we have two of the WW1 locos with the 4-6-0 & 2-6-2, just need the Hunslet 4-6-0 next ;)

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 2

Minitrains is a German manufacturer so no real surprise there. The scale of their models varies between 3.5-4mm to match size wise. Much like LGB the rubber ruler is used so all their products look good together. It's been discussed many times and Andreas, Mr Minitrains, says that's how he likes to do it so feel free to have a go yourself ;)

Both locos run superbly and it's only when right next to each other it's so obvious. At least we have two of the WW1 locos with the 4-6-0 & 2-6-2, just need the Hunslet 4-6-0 next ;)

Fair enough, if your wanting a Hunslet the Langley kit is available on eBay for around £46, sans chassis.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hunslet-W4D-4-6-0-tank-loco-OO-OO9-Scale-UNPAINTED-Railway-Model-Kit/302691329780?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

• RMweb Gold

Fair enough, if your wanting a Hunslet the Langley kit is available on eBay for around £46, sans chassis.

[]

It's the chassis that needs an upgrade most, now Bachmann have a very sweet running 4-6-0 (ish before anyone starts on the pony), ;) Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

Just  wonderin'  whose  is  the  lost  opportunity?   

It was just if you wanted an Alco and a Baldwin together, it would look odd. Looking through my book on the war department light railways it would seem that the two weren't used together very often, not surprising given the proclivity of the Baldwin, near 500 examples, so many that quite a few never saw France. I did find one photo of a Hunslet, Baldwin and an Alco on shed together, though whats far more interesting is that seemed to be a practice of removing the side tanks and towing them behind on a flat wagon. There must have been some logic for this field conversion as photo show no less that six of these modifications. I would hypothesis that it was done to improve stability on the lightest sections of track. 

ScR. 

• Like 1

Out of interest, does anyone know when the Quarry Hunslets might be released? They're cute little engines, just saying.... :)

If its anything like the baldwins a few years from now. But Bachmann seem to be catching up on announced items so hopefully sooner rather than later..

• RMweb Premium

It was just if you wanted an Alco and a Baldwin together, it would look odd. Looking through my book on the war department light railways it would seem that the two weren't used together very often, not surprising given the proclivity of the Baldwin, near 500 examples, so many that quite a few never saw France. I did find one photo of a Hunslet, Baldwin and an Alco on shed together, though whats far more interesting is that seemed to be a practice of removing the side tanks and towing them behind on a flat wagon. There must have been some logic for this field conversion as photo show no less that six of these modifications. I would hypothesis that it was done to improve stability on the lightest sections of track. 

ScR. 

They did tend to roll over, also the ground on which the track was laid could be unstable and limited axle weight.

It was just if you wanted an Alco and a Baldwin together, it would look odd.

Nobody's made the Alco yet.  The Mintrains loco is the US Army Baldwin which was different to the ALCOs built for the British Army. 

It's the chassis that needs an upgrade most, now Bachmann have a very sweet running 4-6-0 (ish before anyone starts on the pony), ;)

Unfortunately, the coupled wheelbase of the Hunslet is shorter than the Baldwin and is even spaced, not the noticeable uneven spacing of the Baldwin.