Bachmann FFA/FGA early container flats

Andy Y

2 minutes ago, russ p said:

On one of your pictures Paul,  it shows the headstock with twin pipes but there is also something which looks like a jumper socket.  Was this something to do with the locking system from the pre ISO system. 

There was a set a few years ago at Parkestone which still had some remnants of this system. 

I suppose there must have been batteries and dynamos involved on the original ones? 

Hi Russ,

Early Freightliner flats certainly were fitted with battery boxes similar, although possibly smaller, to those fitted to coaching stock. I don't know of any sort of dynamo or charging system though.

Gibbo.

• Informative/Useful 1

28 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Paul,

It seems to me that the original Freightliner trains mostly carried Freightliner boxes as they were the most widely available boxes at the time being provided especially for the service. In the following years the ratio of Freightliner to private owner boxes changed along with more trains being run thereby giving the impression that there were fewer Freightliner boxes in service by the 1980's.

It would also tally that with the increase in private owner boxes and also the huge growth of international companies leasing boxes Freightliner would have not replaced boxes once due for renewal, the originals being built in the mid to late 1960's. In more recent times Freightliner seem to have concentrated upon running just the trains rather than leasing boxes.

Perhaps someone may be able to confirm or correct me on my thoughts.

Gibbo.

That is what I said. The maritime became increasingly important. But Fords for example had many containers worked in block trains, as did Sainsburys and others discussed here - as has been noted Tri-ang did a good job of reflecting some of the variety of private containers. However Freightliner went on having new build containers until the late 1980s. My link shows some of these, and See Roger Silsbury chapter 8 in Collins, Michael J (1991) Freightliner (Life & Times series) pub Foulis-OPC 128 pages, ISBN 0-88093-455-1

Paul

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Michael Delamar said:

Can anyone identify the type of coach behind the 47?

My Bachmann wagons have arrived, they are very nice.

Just a casual interest but has anyone modelled any 27ft containers?

Hi Michael,

The coach behind the 47 looks to be an LMS Stanier period three of some sort, the coaches used were in the main brake third coaches of various although that particular one does not appear to be. There were BR Mk1 suburban brakes used for guards riding vans also and latterly such coaches were painted plain rail grey and some also had the windows plated over.

8467376109_62c8a230a6_o.jpg.ce15a127cc066cdf31c899af3bf62db6.jpg.020a00a76ce3b329e46fd144c59395a2.jpg

9278810451_24f7f51554_o.jpg.e0c361a7e1424abf87893f04be8c16b0.jpg.b397ce097a46d51bdd720657dd0eece8.jpg

Some early boxes:

Page two onwards has some container box activity starting with a caboose that the coaches replaced on page two and also various other boxes starting on page eleven.

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, Michael Delamar said:

Can just make out the white “through piped” Air pipe which these coaches will have had to have had added. So they cant have just used any old coach there must have been some dedicated ones.

There were 60 converted for this use, details of old and new numbers are in Table 5 of chapter 7 of the previously mentioned Collins book, and also get a mention in the various more recent books by Longworth.

Paul

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Michael Delamar said:

Flickr link, some Interesting early containers.

Rail Freight Liner Drott crane

Hi Michael,

Interesting photograph you have found there. The box in the foreground is 003C York Trailers, lot 3510, 27', The 27' open is either 001J, 002J or 003J more research required for that one.

The background container boxes are from right to left:

• 002A Shildon, 1964, lot 3486, 10'.
  • 002C Duralumin, 1964, lot 3504, 27'.
  • 001C Shildon, 1964, lot 3488, 27'.
  • 001A Shildon, 1964, lot 3486, 10'.

The flat wagons that the boxes in the background are mounted on are the prototype 40' wagons built at Shildon in 1964 numbers B601001/2 Outers and B602001/2 Inners, see below:

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Forward to first principles and The great highway.

My Michael Collins book arrived today and it reminded me of a shot which I had forgotten about and that was the new Ford containers for the Belgium service at Brunswick Liverpool.

One train I may recreate in the future.