Bachmann FFA/FGA early container flats

Andy Y

WolfofBadenoch,

Very nice FGA and FFA  - the detailing of the wagon frames is truly superb.  I was going to pass on these due to price, but seeing your video has made me think again!

OT, but I loved the Hornby 87 too!  Whose sound project have you used please, and how did you get on fitting it?

Thanks for posting.

Edit - tried to "reply quoting your post" by clicking button - but didn't work! The site is playing up tonight!

Edited by cravensdmufan

• RMweb Gold

Received FGA pair and FFA today from Rails. Here's a quick video i shot of them and the DBSO which also arrived. The threesome reversed well through points, before running fine. Containers were just placed directly onto wagons without using any of the supplied 'pins' - i was in a hurry to get them tested and have a shot of them before the children got home from school - as you can hear in the last clip i didn't make it!

https://youtu.be/j6DBU35SG-M

Both seem to ride very nicely - no trace of a wobble!

Phil

Read the big yellow banner across the top of every page.

Perhaps cravensdmufan was using the mobile version as ‘Users may experience some slow response times whilst server maintenance work is underway’ banner seems to only be on the Full Version and not on the mobile one.

Perhaps cravensdmufan was using the mobile version as ‘Users may experience some slow response times whilst server maintenance work is underway’ banner seems to only be on the Full Version and not on the mobile one.

My reply does read rather more curt than intended, I assumed the banner would appear on all versions, I only use a laptop for reading forums.

Thanks. Yes, I was using iPhone!

Anyway, back to the wagons. Having watched Wolf's video again, I'm really keen to get a small set of the outer pair and one inner even though I know they ran in sets of 5. Mrs CDF normally asks what I'd like for Christmas around this time, so for once this year I'll have an answer!

Edited by cravensdmufan

Thanks. Yes, I was using iPhone!

Anyway, back to the wagons. Having watched Wolf's video again, I'm really keen to get a small set of the outer pair and one inner even though I know they ran in sets of 5. Mrs CDF normally asks what I'd like for Christmas around this time, so for once this year I'll have an answer!

They may have been built as sets of five, but various shorter permutations soon came into existence; this may have been when the Paris service started, as the train ferry decks couldn't accommodate full 5-car sets. Alternatively, it might have been when wagons got stopped for repair. Out of interest, how was maintenance and repairs organised in earlier times. I have seen photos of FFAs and FGAs in the works at Stratford, but how would wagons with faults that prevented them reaching there be dealt with?

They may have been built as sets of five, but various shorter permutations soon came into existence; this may have been when the Paris service started, as the train ferry decks couldn't accommodate full 5-car sets. Alternatively, it might have been when wagons got stopped for repair. Out of interest, how was maintenance and repairs organised in earlier times. I have seen photos of FFAs and FGAs in the works at Stratford, but how would wagons with faults that prevented them reaching there be dealt with?

The Ferry sets for Paris were purpose built sets of 4 as that was the maximum the train ferry could take, the ferry fittings are visible on the wagons!

I can't justify these whatsoever, but I will not be able to resist a rake.  They look absolutely filigree and they are central to the Modern Image according to the Doctor's prescription, so even as a posed static rake, they are signature rolling stock, like early builds of blue and grey Mk2s.

• Like 2

WolfofBadenoch,

Very nice FGA and FFA  - the detailing of the wagon frames is truly superb.  I was going to pass on these due to price, but seeing your video has made me think again!

OT, but I loved the Hornby 87 too!  Whose sound project have you used please, and how did you get on fitting it?

Thanks for posting.

Sound in the 87 is Legomanbiffo - Loksound v4 micro with a small sugarcube speaker. Even the micro decoder is a tight fit in the decoder space - i glued a couple of pieces of plasticard above the driveshaft and have put the decoder on these under the PCB. The speaker is placed between the chassis and driving cab details as shown in photo. I think LMB reckons it's quite quiet with just this speaker but i'm quite happy.

As i'd taken off the PCB to investigate possible placings of speaker etc, on refitting it i altered the wiring slightly so that the headlight comes on with the marker lights in 'day mode'. From others comments a consistently on headlight while the loco is stopped isn't prototypical but i feel it's a better solution than the driver's cab light being on during motion!

Back to the wagons - i plan to add at least one more Inner. I know the Intermodals  wouldn't have run with the FGA / FFA (and they're outwith my time zone) but i think i can get away with the KFAs?

post-8724-0-23046300-1542798465.jpgpost-8724-0-54337500-1542798471.jpg

Sorry if this has already been posted, but the container owner codes can identified here: https://www.bic-code.org/

Peterfgf

There are several sites where you can look up the current owner of the code.

But in the context of my post - none of those sites* will tell you when that code was first registered to help you date the usage of marks, and none of them will tell you what the company that registered that code called itself at the time the code was first registered, they will only show you the name of the current owner of the marks.

The sites are logically there for somebody with a container to look up who owns it now, not for researching the history of the marks.

For example - P&O/Nedlloyd used PONU - but if you search for that it says "Maersk Line A/S" just as the others do, as they were merged into the present day Maersk.

*If anyone knows of a site that does do this - I'd love to know!

Sound in the 87 is Legomanbiffo - Loksound v4 micro with a small sugarcube speaker. Even the micro decoder is a tight fit in the decoder space - i glued a couple of pieces of plasticard above the driveshaft and have put the decoder on these under the PCB. The speaker is placed between the chassis and driving cab details as shown in photo. I think LMB reckons it's quite quiet with just this speaker but i'm quite happy.

As i'd taken off the PCB to investigate possible placings of speaker etc, on refitting it i altered the wiring slightly so that the headlight comes on with the marker lights in 'day mode'. From others comments a consistently on headlight while the loco is stopped isn't prototypical but i feel it's a better solution than the driver's cab light being on during motion!

Back to the wagons - i plan to add at least one more Inner. I know the Intermodals  wouldn't have run with the FGA / FFA (and they're outwith my time zone) but i think i can get away with the KFAs?

attachicon.gifIMG_6126 (Custom).JPGattachicon.gifIMG_6124 (Custom).JPG

Thanks for the 87 info, Wolf. Very helpful. (Apologies folks for taking thread OT!).

Great reference photos of the ferry sets Paul.  Thanks.

• RMweb Premium

Do the doors on the containers open like the old Hornby ones? Some years ago I found mine, not having been used since I was a child. The containers felt heavy and inside were some Matchbox cars. Can't think why I put them in there...wrong scale too...

• Like 2

I just ordered the early versions from Kernow - I had sufficient credit with them it isn't costing me anything this time! :)

I ordered one FGA pair, and one FFA, but would really like to get more of the 20' BR Freightliner containers, so have refrained from ordering more FFAs for now. Hopefully Bachmann will do FFAs with three 20' containers in the future.

In the meantime, does anyone want some of the old Triang/Hornby wagons? I was going to upgrade these but when the Bachmann wagons were announced I stopped any further work.

Has anyone worked out a way of stopping the (not) NEM pocket on the intermediate couplers moving sideways when part of a heavy train?

Andi

A piece of black plasticard with a 3mm hole glued underneath to prevent the pivot pin moving sideways works, it will still negotiate 2nd radius ok.

The attached photo shows a white version so you can see where it is.

post-1535-0-55204000-1542982941_thumb.jpg

post-1535-0-23140300-1542982968_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Anybody else NOT had their pre-order (or delivery notification) of the modern containered ones from Hattons yet ?

Yes,I am still patiently waiting.Seems a bit odd to me,a lot of retailers appeared to receive stock about a week ago but Hattons as yet do not .Maybe someone in the know can shed some light.I did ‘chat’ with Hattons on Wednesday and the reply was expecting ‘any day’.

• RMweb Gold

A piece of black plasticard with a 3mm hole glued underneath to prevent the pivot pin moving sideways works, it will still negotiate 2nd radius ok.

The attached photo shows a white version so you can see where it is.

Perfect, that was exactly the kind of thing I was looking for, quick and easy. 

Thank you 

Andi

• RMweb Gold

Yes,I am still patiently waiting.Seems a bit odd to me,a lot of retailers appeared to receive stock about a week ago but Hattons as yet do not .Maybe someone in the know can shed some light.I did ‘chat’ with Hattons on Wednesday and the reply was expecting ‘any day’.

I don’t have this as gospel truth, so don’t hang me if I am wrong, but I heard it suggested that retailers at Warley may be fulfilled first, to give those attending all an even shot on the weekend.

Edited by adb968008