Bachmann FFA/FGA early container flats

Andy Y

There were two builds of flats for them, separated by about 4 years. 6 inners and 4 outers were built in 1967, then 2 outers and 10 inners in 1971. They also had some 50' Stanier full-brakes in their livery.

Brian you have missed lots 3638 and 3639 for 1 inner and 5 outers also in 1967, which implies there were initially 4 sets of 4 which was increased to 5 sets of 5 in 1971.

Has anyone posted pictures of the Bachmann models next to the original Tri-ang models in a side by side comparison, on the track?  I would love to get a train to replace my Tri-ang units but the price is putting me off!

JF

I'm sure it could be arranged, although it feels a bit, well, irrelevant to be honest.  We're comparing a 50 year old toy-like impression of a wagon to a contemporary, detailed, faithful scale representation designed and constructed using modern methods.

hornby-triang-x-freightliner_360_126fd10post-1-0-59826000-1499330057-1499344503.

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone posted pictures of the Bachmann models next to the original Tri-ang models in a side by side comparison, on the track?  I would love to get a train to replace my Tri-ang units but the price is putting me off!

JF

I started doing a detailing job on a rake of Tri-ang models a few years ago, as posted on here a few months ago. Here's a typical wagon, after using the S-kits parts and cutting away and rebuilding the underframe:

post-6720-0-57484300-1522165252.jpg

If you're budget-conscious and can still get hold if the S-Kits conversion pack, it's one way to go but I doubt I'd start over again now as the work in adding the container attachment points is quite involved and needs to be done very accurately. Still, in the words of Magnus Magnussen....

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Got mine from bure valley today, lovely models but fitting those twist locks that hold the containers is a pig of a job.

I know its prototypical but I wish there was a better was of locating them. I'm hoping blue tac will hold them

• Like 2

Got mine from bure valley today, lovely models but fitting those twist locks that hold the containers is a pig of a job.

I know its prototypical but I wish there was a better was of locating them. I'm hoping blue tac will hold them

It's good to hear that they really exist. The major box shifter formally in Liverpool is still showing not available so I'll have to wait a little longer. 

Back to the topic what sort of metal are these made from some light alloy, I thought they were plastic at first due to the low weight,

pity the containers are solid as you could have added some weight.

Edited by paul 27

Back to the topic what sort of metal are these made from some light alloy, I thought they were plastic at first due to the low weight,

pity the containers are solid as you could have added some weight.

They are not solid.

post-1535-0-83313300-1543670478_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Gave up with the twist locks as just too fiddly and don't look that great.

I've located the containers with double sided tape and they seem fine.

Glad to report running quality is excellent been through quite complex pointwork.

I chose to mix the containers up a bit for variety

Been trying to post pictures but I can not get them to upload the right way up, even if I edit them and turn them upside down they still come out wrong in here

• Like 1

Bit of a long shot, has anyone re-gauged a set to EM or P4 and if so, was it straightforward?  I'm a bit reluctant to spend over £200 on spec.

Douglas

Middling.

I picked up my pre-order from Model Junction in Slough earlier and have just spent a bit of time on the first one this evening converting to EM.

The wheels as supplied are 11mm diameter on 25mm axles. They flanges look too deep to just pull out on the current axles. So I've used some DCC concepts 10.5mm wheels, which come on 26mm axles - you can see the differences in the first picture (also in the first picture is an AG axle just to see whether one might be easier than the other to change). 

post-1260-0-79857200-1543711452.jpg

I tried to fit in a new axle without any adjustment, and you can see how far it deflected the sides of the bogie in this picture - so it needs some fettling.

post-1260-0-52843900-1543711469.jpg

The axles come with the brake discs on them - and for this first one I've not bothered to put them on the new wheels just to see that it works mechanically. But in fact it's the brake pads themselves that are a bit fiddly - they make it more difficult to open out the plastic bearing to get the extra length for the 26mm axles to run freely. I've used the Micro-Mark truck tuner to do the opening out - but with the rubber removed so it fits by the brake pads which makes it more difficult to turn. But it did the job, and then a couple of strokes with a small file on the inside of the axle boxes and the new wheels slot into place.

post-1260-0-74364200-1543711496.jpg

Runs freely on the test track. So yes it's much easier than some other recent models, but does need some time and effort. I'd go for it Douglas, they are nice models.

Mid-1960s to early 70s (the earliest ones date from around 1965). After that, they were rebranded 'Freightliners Limited' as part of the privatisation of the container traffic. I'm not sure of the exact date where the change commenced, but it would have taken some time to rebrand the containers themselves, so you could probably safely say they would have lasted with the original branding until at least the mid-70s.

Edited by SRman

Mid-1960s to early 70s (the earliest ones date from around 1965). After that, they were rebranded 'Freightliners Limited' as part of the privatisation of the container traffic. I'm not sure of the exact date where the change commenced, but it would have taken some time to rebrand the containers themselves, so you could probably safely say they would have lasted with the original branding until at least the mid-70s.

Great, thanks Jeff - well that’s saved me a few bob! Jim

Not Privatisation as it was only a controlling stake transferred to the National Freight Corporation, the nationalised road haulier.

Hence why at one time Freightliner trains were ran as company trains!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Freight_Corporation

• Like 1

JF

Comparison picture of Tri-any/Hornby and Bachmann, as others have said very toylike.

The Tri-any/Hornby containers on the other hand were very good apart from the opening door feature.

post-1535-0-12641300-1543754527_thumb.jpg

post-1535-0-02061300-1543754543_thumb.jpg

post-1535-0-22283300-1543754559_thumb.jpg

• Like 9