Bachmann FFA/FGA early container flats

Andy Y

Mid-1960s to early 70s (the earliest ones date from around 1965). After that, they were rebranded 'Freightliners Limited' as part of the privatisation of the container traffic. I'm not sure of the exact date where the change commenced, but it would have taken some time to rebrand the containers themselves, so you could probably safely say they would have lasted with the original branding until at least the mid-70s.

I think very few of the containers were rebranded, most just had the BR arrow logo painted out leaving Freightliner as the branding. New containers got the new branding but by then they were of the vertical ribbed type.

• Like 1

I think very few of the containers were rebranded, most just had the BR arrow logo painted out leaving Freightliner as the branding. New containers got the new branding but by then they were of the vertical ribbed type.

Which is exactly what I did in reverse with some of my Triang/Hornby Freightliners Limited containers, painting out the "Limited", taking them back to the earlier branding incorrectly until I could do something better with them ... something that never happened! :D

Edited by SRman

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

Still no sign of the earlier version from Hattons as yet. Seems strange to me that one of the largest dealers in the country has not received them but a lot of the smaller retailers have had them for a couple of weeks now.

But then patience is a virtue so I will have to wait.

Cheers

George

• RMweb Premium

Hello

Still no sign of the earlier version from Hattons as yet. Seems strange to me that one of the largest dealers in the country has not received them but a lot of the smaller retailers have had them for a couple of weeks now.

But then patience is a virtue so I will have to wait.

Cheers

George

Hatton's non-receipt applies to other models not just these FFA/FGAs. Have a read of the Hatton's thread starting around here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/62714-hattons-model-railways-of-widnes-formerly-liverpool/?p=3381901

Hello

Thank-you for the link , I have now cancelled the order and gone elsewhere.

Cheers

George

Didn’t get round to checking over my recently arrived FGAs until Friday, when I discovered that I had two 20ft freightliner containers with the same fleet number. A quick phone call to my chosen supplier (Kernow) & now arrived in the post today is a replacement. So possibly worth checking to see if you’ve got two identical containers, but then again, perhaps most people aren’t bothered about such things & possibly I was just unlucky.

Mike C

Well, don't post on a wednesday and confuse everybody then!

Mike.

TIC

My apologies if you found my posts confusing? I have them in stock and will still have them in stock when I reopen tomorrow. If anyone checks the website, the opening times are made clear. I don’t usually have time to browse RMWeb when I am in the shop so I usually up date on my day off. My apologies if you or anyone else were confused.

Andy

• RMweb Gold

My apologies if you found my posts confusing? I have them in stock and will still have them in stock when I reopen tomorrow. If anyone checks the website, the opening times are made clear. I don’t usually have time to browse RMWeb when I am in the shop so I usually up date on my day off. My apologies if you or anyone else were confused.

Andy

Don't worry, I'm easily confused!

Just as an aside, have you tried your website on a mobile phone, doesn't work for me, but maybe it's ok for others. I can't get the sidebars and headers to reference any stock.

Mike.

Don't worry, I'm easily confused!

Just as an aside, have you tried your website on a mobile phone, doesn't work for me, but maybe it's ok for others. I can't get the sidebars and headers to reference any stock.

Mike.

Thanks for the heads up. I know the mobile site is not quite up to the standard of the main site. The menu should be accessible by clicking on the box in the top right corner of the front page. When I tested it worked ok, but only after the front page products had loaded up.

Andy

Apologies if this has been asked before but if I buy 2 or more of the 38-626 inners will they all have the same numbers on the containers and the vehicles? 

I have three inners (38-626), about six months ago I bought some Railtec Transfers to ready to renumber two of them.

4mm-6503 & 6504 for container numbers and 4mm-6056 & 6057 for FFA/FGA wagon numbers.

Keith

Edited by 75B

unless you're doing ex-works ones, would the numbers often have been visible on these wagons anyway? I dont ever remember seeing them clean and were generally absolutely covered in track grot

might be better just 'heavily weathering' them if the duplicate numbers are a problem

• RMweb Gold

unless you're doing ex-works ones, would the numbers often have been visible on these wagons anyway? I dont ever remember seeing them clean and were generally absolutely covered in track grot

might be better just 'heavily weathering' them if the duplicate numbers are a problem

https://gingespotting.smugmug.com/Wagons/F-TOPSCode/FFAFGA/i-pw9mvrZ would suggest that the numbers were cleaned, they'd need to be so TOPS could be updated

Andi

• Like 1

Does anyone know what metal the chassis are cast from?  Hopefully not Mazak!!

JF

Mazak can be OK if metallurgical quality control is good.  I understand "Mazak rot" is caused by impurities in the material which settle out on the grain boundaries during cooling after casting which then leads to brittleness.

Peterfgf

Couldn't it be pewter for example?  I would think lost wax brass would be completely OTT for a moderately priced production model...

JF

What do they use?

JF

Mazac? The problem only arises when the mazac is contaminated by lead. Lead and zinc are often found in association, and should be separated out during the smelting and refining process; I wonder if quality control is as exacting as it might be?