Bachmann FFA/FGA early container flats

Andy Y

When the original Freightliner containers were built, the longest were 27' long, due to restrictions on the length of articulated vehicles for carrying the 'boxes. By the end of the 1960s, the rules had changed to allow 30' boxes.

40' boxes are comparatively recent, perhaps late 1980s, coincident with the massive expansion of trade with the Far East. The development of wagons to carry these containers in the most efficient way is very recently, ironically using a platform length close to that of the original wagons.

I wonder what became of the pioneers?

• Informative/Useful 2

On 18/08/2019 at 18:15, markw said:

The Life & Times Freightliner book quotes the first of the coach conversions as being done 6/66 at the freightliner terminals which suggests the caboose lasted just over six months.

All of the basic information about the coach conversions is in

Longworth, Hugh (2013) B R Mark 1 and mark 2 coaching stock. Publ. OPC (Ian Allan) Herhsam Surrey ISBN 978 0 86093 650 3.  page 272

and Longworth, Hugh (2019) British Railways Pre-nationalisation coaching stock. Volume 2 SR & LMS Publ. Crecy Publishing Ltd. Manchester.  ISBN 978 0 86093 695 4. pages127  & 487

Paul

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Apologies if I'm misunderstanding, but it looks fully loaded to me?

Mike.

Perhaps only five loaded containers ? In the early days, many containers carried lengths of old rail, to simulate fully-laden trains for test purposes; there is a comment in 'Life and Times- Freightliner' to this effect.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Apologies if I'm misunderstanding, but it looks fully loaded to me?

Mike.

I think that is referring to only five in the grey and red freightliner livery, the others are in experimental liveries with possibly some of the long Speedfreight containers as well.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, markw said:

I think that is referring to only five in the grey and red freightliner livery, the others are in experimental liveries with possibly some of the long Speedfreight containers as well.

It's the Mk1 Test train using the first built flats with only two FGA's being used as outers. The rear of the rake is loaded with the original prototype containers to different designs submitted to BR from various invited manufacturers. I have a phot of the same train taken from the mid point looking forward towards the ingine.

P

• Informative/Useful 1

On ‎21‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 10:50, Porcy Mane said:

It's the Mk1 Test train using the first built flats with only two FGA's being used as outers. The rear of the rake is loaded with the original prototype containers to different designs submitted to BR from various invited manufacturers. I have a phot of the same train taken from the mid point looking forward towards the ingine.

P

Yes I was referring to the livery that explains it,  is this the very first test train is it early 65

any more pictures of this never seen this before.

Edited by paul 27

On 23/08/2019 at 17:48, paul 27 said:

can you please show your photo

Apologies. I've just read this. (bank holiday weekend and all of that stuff)

Sorry. Not my copyright. If it's any help, readable container numbers going towards the Freightliner liveried boxes are:

Container No

30C02

003J

30C10

55J00

30C0?

05???

05B04???

?????

On 23/08/2019 at 17:48, paul 27 said:

is it the same location.

No. It's Basford Hall.

P

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Couldn't resist ordering an early set of 5.

The resent British transport release The road ahead, has a nice film called Speed the payload from 1967 with a nice shot I think of Glasgow Gushetfalds and a nice run past of a full set with 2 containers per wagon.

There is a noticeable gap between these 2 containers. I take it these will be 27ft ones?

Damn silly Q - it may have already been answered but 24 pages !!

When did the classic Freightliner containers give way to the newer / PO versions ?  (1975 ish ??) and I'm googling other stuff - would just like to know form someone who knows.

Edited by Southernman46

On 09/05/2020 at 13:38, Southernman46 said:

Damn silly Q - it may have already been answered but 24 pages !!

When did the classic Freightliner containers give way to the newer / PO versions ?  (1975 ish ??) and I'm googling other stuff - would just like to know form someone who knows.

Err... there were always some privately owned containers on the freightliner trains. However this grew as there was more and more maritime traffic and less domestic. Freightliner itself had their own containers for many more years. Interesting question, I've always assumed it ended with privatisation.

Paul

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brfreightlinercontainer

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, hmrspaul said:

Err... there were always some privately owned containers on the freightliner trains. However this grew as there was more and more marine traffic and less domestic. Freightliner itself had their own containers for many more years. Interesting question, I've always assumed it ended with privatisation.

Paul

On one of your pictures Paul,  it shows the headstock with twin pipes but there is also something which looks like a jumper socket.  Was this something to do with the locking system from the pre ISO system. 

There was a set a few years ago at Parkestone which still had some remnants of this system. 

I suppose there must have been batteries and dynamos involved on the original ones? 

• Informative/Useful 1

17 minutes ago, hmrspaul said:

Err... there were always some privately owned containers on the freightliner trains. However this grew as there was more and more marine traffic and less domestic. Freightliner itself had their own containers for many more years. Interesting question, I've always assumed it ended with privatisation.

Paul

Hi Paul,

It seems to me that the original Freightliner trains mostly carried Freightliner boxes as they were the most widely available boxes at the time being provided especially for the service. In the following years the ratio of Freightliner to private owner boxes changed along with more trains being run thereby giving the impression that there were fewer Freightliner boxes in service by the 1980's.

It would also tally that with the increase in private owner boxes and also the huge growth of international companies leasing boxes Freightliner would have not replaced boxes once due for renewal, the originals being built in the mid to late 1960's. In more recent times Freightliner seem to have concentrated upon running just the trains rather than leasing boxes.

Perhaps someone may be able to confirm or correct me on my thoughts.

Gibbo.