Graham Farish N announcements July 2014 - SECR birdcage stock and some monster Scenecraft!

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Graham Farish cements its position at the forefront of British N scale with the arrival of the N Class steam locomotive newly adorned in SECR Dark Grey livery and the replicating of the SECR Birdcage coaching stock previously introduced in OO. These introductions allow an authentic representation of a pre-grouping train, further expanding possibilities for the N scale modeller. 

Bachmann's words, not Andy's...

The question here - obviously in the realms of those who know better - is would an SECR liveried N Class and a rake of Birdcage stock constitute an 'authentic representation of a pre-grouping train'? My immediate association with fixed rake stock such as this would be something more akin to the H class 0-4-4.

Edited by Claude_Dreyfus

A bit of a damp squib. Lots of hype running up to the announcements, but N certainly does not appear to be the focus for now.

This must be the first year in a very long time that there have been no newly announced Farish locos, be they steam, diesel or whatever. That I was not expecting, I had believed a Class 40 at the very least was nailed on..

Some may see the "Birdcage" sets as an inspired choice, but as the only newly tooled release for 2014, I am simply astonished! I really struggle to see where there will be an adequate market for something so "niche" unless it is amongst "collectors". There are so few pre-Grouping models available and it really defies logic that this single rake of coaches with a re-liveried "N" Class will make any difference or forge any growth in people modelling that timeframe. By any measure Steam/Diesel transition is where the biggest market still is and I would have thought Thompson coaches to go with existing B1/A1/A2 and early Diesels a much more logical choice if only coaches it is to be.

On the plus side the GW railcar reappears and it would seem (assuming the announcement is accurate and no reason to think otherwise) it will now be DCC ready, so an upgraded chassis. It is a popular model so a bit of good news.

Two further Duchess liveries announced before the first run has even hit the shops!

Biggest surprise to me though is that the Castle and 64xx are not even off the "Drawing board" yet.

We will all have our own views as to what this lack of new releases means. Without question there are still a fair few items in the pipeline, and this does give them a "window" to catch up. I would also speculate that there may have been a refocus of resources into the other newly announced products in other scales.

What I personally hope is that this is not a precedent for future years, but just a one-off, even if the level of releases does not quite return to the levels we saw just a couple of years ago.

The wallet is happy though and I am also now tempted to place further orders for stuff we already know about like the Johnson tendered 4F since there is nothing new or amongst the "re-liveries" that interests me, and suspect I am not alone.

Never mind in the grand scheme of things it is not the end of the world.

Roy

P.S. just a thought, might we see something more announced at TINGS I wonder??

Edited by Roy L S

Well I was trying to advise against getting carried away with bandying around expected lists of locos (some people even saying the wise money was on particular ones due for upgrading) and the like, but got shouted down. It looks like I was right to not go with expecting three new locos or similar - as basically the 'all new' stuff is just new packs of three coaches of one range (SERC birdcage) from Farish and some RTP buildings for Scenecraft.

But then it was to be expected. With a lot of previously announced stuff still outstanding it's sensible to have some consolidation time and allow catch-up. However, there are some interesting new liveries announced for existing (and previously announced but not yet arrived) models. I especially like the news of NSE liveries on the class 47/7, 101 and Mk2a coaches so I'm more than happy with the announcements.

Plus I understand that the class 25 review samples have already arrived so the main batch won't be long behind. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The question here - obviously in the realms of those who know better - is would an SECR liveried N Class and a rake of Birdcage stock constitute an 'authentic representation of a pre-grouping train'? My immediate association with fixed rake stock such as this would be something more akin to the H class 0-4-4.

C Class in N anyone?

David

• RMweb Gold

Indeed, as to build the complete Power Station it is going to cost close to £300! I don't doubt that it will be impressive to look at, but I bet you could get a professional model maker to build one at that price.

You must be joking, think hours multiplied by a sensible hourly rate. Put a 0 on the end of that figure and you'd be a bit closer.

Jerry, a professional model maker

I'm a tad annoyed to see the GC signalbox now released in N, 6 months after I paid to have 2 GC boxes made as etches, and still waiting for me to pluck up the courage to attempt to build them! Farish need to get a move on and release the GC goods shed in N too! And maybe some GC locos too? A5 tank, Sir Sam Fay or Lord Faringdon anybody?

Chris

• Like 3

I'm not so sure that they are released and available yet. But at least you now have a choice; either wait for the Scenecraft RTP version or build the etched versions you already have.

Personally I'd get on with building the kits. If they turn out well you'll have them well in advance of the RTP resin version and have the satisfaction of making them yourself. If they turn out bad or go wrong you've fortunately got a fall back position. 

Edited by grahame

I'm disappointed they didn't focus on my personal wants.

But more realistically I am puzzled that there aren't more reliveried items.

Surely a class 150 in Northern Rail livery would sell well, or FGW, or how about a Colas 60?

John P

Third photo down:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69174-farish-announcements-20134/#

Not a 'pre-grouping train', but within the realms of possibility...

Edited by talisman56

• RMweb Premium

Third photo down:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69174-farish-announcements-20134/#

Not a 'pre-grouping train', but within the realms of possibility...

Thanks. I did have SECR specifically in mind with my comment (I'm not convinced the N class ran with this stock in SECR days, but would love to be proved wrong); however I am after a BR version of the N Class (to run with some Bullied and Mk 1 carriages) and this photo - for better or for worse - indicates I could get hold of some birdcage stuff as well.

I wonder how much work is being done on the GWR railcar to make it DCC ready? hopefully all new chassis and other body refinements, current one the motor fills the body. so no see through glazing. Long over due a revamp to modern standards. 3 new items all one type of coaching stock is a little disappointing, also no additional liveries for the Hawksworth.

I am strangely pleased although only because I'm not going to be rushing for any new stuff. I may have got excited for a duchess with the cut down smoke box door. I still intend to pick up at least an n class and a pannier and I have time to save plus work on my layout. All in all I suppose if it is to celebrate a birthday it's not a massive party more a quiet evening in!

But that a BR picture, his point was for an SECR liveried locomotive.

A point I did concede with my comment, but as the Birdcage stock and 'N' class were around concurrently in SECR days it was possible for such a train to exist in that formation at that time.

Oh wait a moment would the birdcage stock be seen with my terrier and or M7?

More likely with a 'P' or an 'H' (SECR versions of those locos)...

Strangely the SEMG 'Sets' spreadsheet doesn't seem to include the Birdcage trios (just the P-P sets converted from some of them), unless I've missed them somehow. If Birdcage sets were transferred to the Central or South-West sections under SR or BR then it would be possible that an 'M7' might have hauled them. A Terrier is more unlikely as by SR days the receeding quantity of them still in SR service were more Pull-Push or shunting locos.

Note that they're doing the BSO and TSO in NSE, but no sign of the FK.  Did any Mk2a FKs carry NSE livery?

I don't think so. In NSE days, I think that it was more BFKs that were used rather than FKs. Either way, I'm very pleased to see NSE liveried models coming from the Farish stable.

David

So-  "three new tooling items in N" appears to be the three coaches of a birdcage set.

As an NE Region modeller my wallet is ecstatic!

All the very best

Les

(at least it means I will be able to afford the track for "layout 3"...)