BRER Restaurant Cafeteria cars circa 1954

• RMweb Premium

Good morning. I am interested in any facts about the above Gresley conversions. The only information I have to hand is that in Harris and a pic on Flicker; both coaches are different and yet shown from the same side (I believe), so other information would be very helpful indeed.

The intention is to 'build' one in 4mm, converting a suitable Hornby donor and using (if at all possible) available sides and parts. 

many thanks,

Phil @36E

The cafeteria car were mostly rebuilds from pre grouping stock. The prototype was converted from LNER Dia.186 TO, and the there were 6 ex-GE 54' RFs, 4 ex-GN 52'6" RFs and 2 ex GN 65', sheffield stock  RCs. I have etches for the ex-GE conversions but haven't attempted the others as, as you have found information about these coaches is limited. I have etches for the ex-GN coaches, and the Dia.168, as built, so would need only a good set of photos to redraw them as cafeteria cars. 

• RMweb Premium

Which Cafeteria Cars are we talking about here?

I took the OP to mean the vehicles described in Michael Harris's book, and depicted by a picture of S9211E, as being wartime conversions of third class sleeping cars, to provide cafeterias for ambulance trains.  These ended up on the Southern as per the photo mentioned above.

It sounds as though the other posters above are thinking of the earliest LNER Buffet Cars, which were converted from pre-grouping vehicles.

Sorry, I don't have any info to add but just thought it might be worth getting clarification before the discussion went too far off at a tangent!

It sounds as though the other posters above are thinking of the earliest LNER Buffet Cars, which were converted from pre-grouping vehicles.

I was talking about the 1953 conversions to cafeteria cars, not the 1932/3 conversions to buffet cars.

• RMweb Premium

Should have made it clear that I was talking about the 1953/4 conversions from ex 'Ambulance' coaches (ex Sleeeprs themselves) and some Kitchen cars and yes the one illustrated in Harris.

Thanks anyway Bill.

Apologies.

P

• RMweb Premium

I was talking about the 1953 conversions to cafeteria cars, not the 1932/3 conversions to buffet cars.

Sorry, didn't think of those ones!

Thanks, but not the conversion from a Gresley to a Greslleid :scratchhead:

Phil

Phil

Sorry, completely the wrong link. I have now corrected, although I still doubt this is what you want - but just referring to Harris (he did 3 books including Gresley coaches) is n't helpful.

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Phil

Sorry, completely the wrong link. I have now corrected, although I still doubt this is what you want - but just referring to Harris (he did 3 books including Gresley coaches) is n't helpful.

Paul

Thanks Paul. Oooohhh that's an interesting beasty.

Apologies about reference vagueness. OK the Ref to Harris is:

Harris, Michael

LNER Carriages ISBN 0-946537-98-4. Page 88 .

The conversions " ......nine vehicles comprised six former 3rd Class sleeping cars to Dia 95 and three Dia 11 restaurant/kitchen firsts. The design work on these conversions was the responsibility of the Southern Region at Eastleigh Works....."

My Copy is from 1994 and I think I got it from Mr Wealleans a couple of years back but I can't remember exactly.

Phil

P

If you can get hold of a copy of the September 1954 Trains Illustrated magazine, there is an article by Geoffrey Freeman-Allen called Bristish Railways new Cafeteria - Restaurant Cars. Includes a photo of M9212E and a couple of interior shots of the dining saloon and the cafeteria section.

Mark

If you can get hold of a copy of the September 1954 Trains Illustrated magazine, there is an article by Geoffrey Freeman-Allen called Bristish Railways new Cafeteria - Restaurant Cars. Includes a photo of M9212E and a couple of interior shots of the dining saloon and the cafeteria section.

Mark

Not a personal comment but a general one.

I am wondering about this. Surely the copywright has run out by now? It would be nice to share this (and other) info. I have some stuff from way back that people would like to see and this info would interest me.

Not a personal comment but a general one.

I am wondering about this. Surely the copywright has run out by now? It would be nice to share this (and other) info. I have some stuff from way back that people would like to see and this info would interest me.

Copyright lasts for 70 years after the death of the author.

• RMweb Premium

I am pleased to say that Mr Bedford has the etched sides for this job ; star man. Watch this space (but don't hold yer breath) as you may know how slow I am to do anything. However, with Mr Wright cracking the whip and Mr Barnatt wielding the rule I should get something done!!

P

• RMweb Premium

Here is a not very good shot of the very nice Bill Bedford etches that will be the starting point for this conversion.

post-2326-0-23148600-1405934803_thumb.jpg

I have no plans to start any of this until the weather cools down somewhat.

P

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I realise that I have not placed anything on here since July 2014. That is awful.

I had actually got the coach, with TW's initial assistance, to what I considered a very reasonable top coat painting stage some weeks ago and having chosen a Carplan No 15 Green this week, decided to do that on Thursday to distract me from activities nationwide!

Well that went well until I started using the green! I had practised on an old Hornby Dublo coach and the finish looked good. I then decided to mask off the inside of this coach by blanking the windows as the interior  needs 'good painting' as it will be seen. (Restaurant area walls e.g. are lime green!

I used masking tape as I have done with other coaches, using Halfords paint and that has worked well. This time all seemed fine, with what looked like a good finish, however as I turned the hairdryer onto the second side to 'bake the finish' a blob of 'pooled' paint overflowed out of one of the window voids. Huge amount of swearing and I couldn't rescue the job.

After a bit of faffing I made the decision to strip the thing back and ended up doing the whole body and roof! It is now cleaned up and ready for another coating of primer. I shall do that when the weather brightens up and I've regained my sense of humour!

I shall try to remember to post some info this time. Apologies. It will be in the Modifying and Detailing RTR thread.

Phil

• 2 months later...

Archived