3D Printed 'OO' Modern Image Lineside Details

Hi Simon,

Also... what about workshop eqipment ?

Pillar drill, band saw, lathe, etc.

Stu

Hi Stu,

This guy does all sorts of Metal and Woodwork Tools:

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/http://www.shapeways.com/shops/dcyale

They are in HO Scale, but they might suit what you want.

Simon

Edited by St. Simon

Hi,

On Thursday I received the test prints of the Point Heating Transformers, Mechanical Flange Lubricators and Stored Wheelchair ramps, unfortunately, Shapeways decided that the Half Platform Shelter was too fragile to be produced (despite it being the exact some model as the full version, only cut in half), so I haven't received that, but I'll be altering it slightly to allow it to be produced.

I have managed to paint them, but as all my photography stuff has been packed away for a house move tomorrow, I haven't been able to photography them, and the chances are I won't be able to until RMweb Live next weekend, so you'll have to wait until then (or even come along) to see them. Remember, I'll have samples of most of the products on this thread with me at Coventry, just come along to Loughborough Road and ask to see them!

Also, if you have the digital version of the October Issue of BRM, you may have noticed a mention of my 3D Printed stuff in the 'What's New?' section of the magazine. (it will also be in the printed version of it as well!)

Simon 

• Like 1

Whilst I realise there will be more and more of this 3D stuff, but the finish needs to be so much better, surely, before it is acceptable.  It looks like you painted the parts and then dipped them in caster sugar!

Why is anyone taking this stuff seriously?  If even Skaledale gave you that finish on lineside or any other items you'd never buy them.  

I know it can be done, but is "ruinously expensive", to quote one of the best kit manufacturers out there, who had one fantastic cylinder of a 5 cylinder radial done in 1/32nd scale.  He then repeated it in resin.

The yellow stuff looks marginally better, but still uneven.

Whilst I can see you are a skilful and prolific CAD practitioner, I just can't see why the final print is considered acceptable. I think there is a tendency to being fashion victims, instead of discerning customers, led by the techie press.

Once HD is cheaper by a country mile than it is now, I'll retire!

Regards,

Boatman

Hi,

They look much better in the flesh, I'm using an High Quality Camera to photograph small parts close up, so it does show up faults in the Nylon material. Plus my dodgy painting doesn't help that much (I do apologise)

The Polished stuff has a good surface finish, as does the Frosted Ultra detail. They are materials out there that have an extremely good finish, take a look at Andy Y's blog post from the 3D print show (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/1535/entry-14722-3d-printshow-a-peek-into-the-future/), however this quality comes at a price.

Also, the parts I make are small, so the finish is good enough when viewed from the normal viewing distances, and I have seen some Skaledale and Scenecraft models that have a worse finish than some of mine. So far On the orders I've had, I haven't had them come back and complain about either the surface finish or price. In fact if you read post #61, it's quite the opposite.

I agree that it can be expensive, but for small parts like these, it isn't to bad, the example that you give is going to expensive as it's a large scale, this is due to the price being based on volume and when you double the dimensions of the model, you increase the volume by a factor of 8, thus substancially increase the price.

Simon

Edited by St. Simon

Looking good! Yes, there are complaints about the quality, but we need a new mindset here. These products are just a stand-in for the time being until new printers come out with better quality. Think of it as the dot matrix printers of 3d printing versus inkjet. When the time comes , one can simply throw out the old and substitute one of a better and cheaper quality . Most importantly , the design has already been done and can just be fed to any printer now or in the future. 

• Like 3

Whilst I realise there will be more and more of this 3D stuff, but the finish needs to be so much better, surely, before it is acceptable.  It looks like you painted the parts and then dipped them in caster sugar!

Why is anyone taking this stuff seriously?  If even Skaledale gave you that finish on lineside or any other items you'd never buy them.  

I know it can be done, but is "ruinously expensive", to quote one of the best kit manufacturers out there, who had one fantastic cylinder of a 5 cylinder radial done in 1/32nd scale.  He then repeated it in resin.

The yellow stuff looks marginally better, but still uneven.

Regards,

Boatman

I have no connection to Simon other than being a customer of his through this forum. I must say that the models are first class in their moulding and even if they weren't the distances from which you may look at them from make the issue slightly less important. I've seen many a model spoilt by poor finishing whether that be a locomotive, building or signal.

We are at the start of a massive change in manufacturing so obviously as the technology is refined we will get better quality products. The comparison between dot matrix and inkjet printers is a good one. I urge you look at Simon's products in the flesh if you're at RMWeb Live next weekend and then make your mind up.

• Like 2

No doubt they will improve, but for the moment, I really can't see the standards being acceptable, especially on such spindly components, which would be difficult to clean up.

The material (at least that rather gooey nylon-ish stuff) can't be cleaned up.

The cylinder I spoke of was by no means big, it was only about 12mm tall and 3.5mm diameter max.  It WAS a stunning piece of 3D printing, but for something that small to be considered "ruinously expensive" by a seasoned modelmaker, I think, says it all.

Regards,

Martin

As technology moves on smoothness will follow soon enough. See here http://www.3dprinterworld.com/article/smooth-like-butter-mass-finishing-for-abs-and-pla-prints-magicbox

Small components are not that expensive, if you add as many components in to one batch the price will come down if you sell parts on like Simon does, better to sell yourself than let people buy from a shapeways shop.

There are companies who offer better quality than shapeways too.

Swings and roundabouts, there's plenty of rubbish resin details out there!

As technology moves on smoothness will follow soon enough. See here http://www.3dprinterworld.com/article/smooth-like-butter-mass-finishing-for-abs-and-pla-prints-magicbox

Small components are not that expensive, if you add as many components in to one batch the price will come down if you sell parts on like Simon does, better to sell yourself than let people buy from a shapeways shop.

There are companies who offer better quality than shapeways too.

Swings and roundabouts, there's plenty of rubbish resin details out there!

Hi,

I understand, and agree, with your comments there, but as I have a full time job, I like Shapeways' Store working arrangement whereby I design, upload and market products, while Shapeways take care of printing, packaging and shipping of them. As of yet I haven't found another company that does this.

Don't forget that I'll be at RMWeb Live this weekend, although I actually haven't worked out how to get the stuff to Coventry!

Simon

Hi,

Well, we had a lot of interest in the products at RMWeb Live over the weekend, I gave out most of the catalogues and Business Cards that I had prepared, and a lot of people asked questions.

But in between I did manage to take pictures of the latest stuff to come out of Shapeways. The Point heating Transformers:

post-7271-0-66857200-1410811775.jpg

The Mechanical Flange Lubricators:

post-7271-0-92807800-1410812246.jpg

The picture I took of the Stored Wheelchair ramp didn't come out so well so I do apologise.

Again, they are all available through my Shapeways store: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/sjpmodels

I hope that the first picture of the Transformers has shown that the polished WSF has a much better surface finish. I also had several people comment that the price was reasonable, so I hope that has cleared up some of the issues above.

I hope you like them!

Simon

• Like 5

Was good to see the items in person on Sunday at the Ricoh. Was particularly impressed with the shelter.

R u at any other shows this year?

Phil

Hi,

I might be at Wycrail this year with a stand, but at the moment it's unconfirmed, but unfortunately, that's probably it.

Simon

Hi David,

Some interesting items there, but I do have a philosophy about what I'm doing, I will produce items which are hard, or expensive to make through other means (and aren't available elsewhere). Items which can be produced through modelling, I.e. Through the easy use of Plasticard, I won't do. So things such as the stopping boards, structure plates and bike racks I won't do, plus the signs would be way to thick when printed.

I hope this isn't to harsh, but I want people to model and use my bits as extras.

However, I do like the water hoses, so I will look into those, I also will be looking into the help points. The Portable wheelchair ramp, I already do ( http://www.shapeways.com/model/2379015/a-05-stored-wheelchair-ramp.html?materialId=61 ), as well as the Passenger Information Displays ( http://www.shapeways.com/model/2160695/a-04s-southern-passenger-infomation-displays.html?materialId=6 ).

I must also say that I'm sorry for the lack of new products over the recent weeks, but I have started a new job and moved house, plus I'm in need of a laptop, but hopefully I should get I be this weekend, so I may get back into this soon, I hope you understand! At the moment, these are the next products to be developed in priority order:

Costumer Help Points

AWS Ramps ( different versions for OO & EM/P4)

Solar Power Units

Poster boards

Water hoses.

I'm also looking into Signal Gantries for people to build onto, are people interested and what form would you like them to take (i.e. Portal or Cantilever)

Simon

Edited by St. Simon

How are the Post boxes and water hydrant posts coming on ?

:)

Stu

Hi Stu,

Done, and on sale:

Fire Hydrants - http://www.shapeways.com/model/2499073/uk-fire-hydrants-pack-of-4.html?materialId=62

Post Boxes - http://www.shapeways.com/model/2462096/b-04-wall-mounted-post-boxes-pair.html?materialId=61

Although they haven't been test printed, there's nothing to cause concern, so I've released them for sale straight away. :)

Simon

Thank you for the order Stubby, I hope you are happy with them when they arrive.

If you have any issues, don't hesitate to contact me (although I will be notified if anything is wrong at Shapeways)

Simon

Edited by St. Simon

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for the order Stubby, I hope you are happy with them when they arrive.

If you have any issues, don't hesitate to contact me (although I will be notified if anything is wrong at Shapeways)

Simon

The dimensions for the post boxes are 0.736 w x 0.782 h (cm) - I'm guessing the two come with a connecting sprue ? and the actual width of each is about 0.35 cm ?

The prototype I'm basing the house on for Shepherds has both a wall mounted post box and a water hydrant post -spooky because I found the house after I suggested them !

The dimensions for the post boxes are 0.736 w x 0.782 h (cm) - I'm guessing the two come with a connecting sprue ? and the actual width of each is about 0.35 cm ?

The prototype I'm basing the house on for Shepherds has both a wall mounted post box and a water hydrant post -spooky because I found the house after I suggested them !

Hi Stu,

They don't come on a sprue, they come as two separate boxes, they dimension you're quote is both boxes place the air in between, I haven't got access to the CAD's at the moment, so I'm afraid I can't give you the exact size of them.

Simon

Hi David,

Some interesting items there, but I do have a philosophy about what I'm doing, I will produce items which are hard, or expensive to make through other means (and aren't available elsewhere). Items which can be produced through modelling, I.e. Through the easy use of Plasticard, I won't do. So things such as the stopping boards, structure plates and bike racks I won't do, plus the signs would be way to thick when printed.

I hope this isn't to harsh, but I want people to model and use my bits as extras.

However, I do like the water hoses, so I will look into those, I also will be looking into the help points. The Portable wheelchair ramp, I already do ( http://www.shapeways.com/model/2379015/a-05-stored-wheelchair-ramp.html?materialId=61 ), as well as the Passenger Information Displays ( http://www.shapeways.com/model/2160695/a-04s-southern-passenger-infomation-displays.html?materialId=6 ).

I must also say that I'm sorry for the lack of new products over the recent weeks, but I have started a new job and moved house, plus I'm in need of a laptop, but hopefully I should get I be this weekend, so I may get back into this soon, I hope you understand! At the moment, these are the next products to be developed in priority order:

Costumer Help Points

AWS Ramps ( different versions for OO & EM/P4)

Solar Power Units

Poster boards

Water hoses.

I'm also looking into Signal Gantries for people to build onto, are people interested and what form would you like them to take (i.e. Portal or Cantilever)

Simon

Thank's for your reply Simon......

Not harsh at all.......you know the limitation 's,        

I for one, am please to see someone taking on the sort's of items'            that most of us modern imager's are trying to depict......

The pics were only for ideas, whether, possible or not,............. thanks for feedback..........

Wonder,if you were going to do these with out the posts', as a lot are just hung from hangers, if I bought them, I would cut and discard the post.

208x156_2160695_3639067_1405852424.jpgpost-13585-0-03745100-1411060260_thumb.j

Edited by David Todd
  • Like 1

Hi David,

I will look at some of you're items, and possibly in the future, if there's demand, I'll look at the items I won't currently do.

It's not that the products aren't possible, it's that they are just as easily made from Plasticard and a printer, which is cheaper and easier.

The Displays come as a set of four post mounted ones and four hung ones. The Hung Ones come as hung from a 'bar' of plastic which you can glue to a canopy. If you want I can supply a sprue of just Hung Displays, although you may have to wait a few days.

Hope this helps.

Simon

Edited by St. Simon
  • Like 1