3D Printed 'OO' Modern Image Lineside Details

Hi,

Yes, I'm sorry I didn't spot that offer earlier David, otherwise I would of said!

I'm also working on a Banner Repeator. This will not be made to show both 'on' and 'off', only one or the other, but they will be capable of being illuminated. Now I'm interested in what people think, would you be interested in a 'stationary' banner repeater, if so, which aspect would you prefer; 'On' or 'Off'? Also would you be interested in myself doing a Spliting Banner?

If any of that takes your fancy, what about a Preliminary Route Indicator? Although I could make this show more than one 'route'.

Regards,

Simon

Hi,

Yes, I'm sorry I didn't spot that offer earlier David, otherwise I would of said!

I'm also working on a Banner Repeator. This will not be made to show both 'on' and 'off', only one or the other, but they will be capable of being illuminated. Now I'm interested in what people think, would you be interested in a 'stationary' banner repeater, if so, which aspect would you prefer; 'On' or 'Off'? Also would you be interested in myself doing a Spliting Banner?

If any of that takes your fancy, what about a Preliminary Route Indicator? Although I could make this show more than one 'route'.

Regards,

Simon

Simon - I am not so sure this would be a good move? Viessmann already make a working banner repeater, both ground level and standard height, at about 30 sovs. It is continental outline but very easily modified to look British. By route indicators, do you mean the "feather" type or the "theatre" type? Both are already available from the likes of Absolute Aspects, and others for the feathers. Your prices would have to be extremely keen to match them, especially if not working, and the cost of Shapeways postage at present (bar the odd freepost week) gives you a pricing difficulty.

Maybe it would be better to look for real gaps in the market. One suggestion is an illuminated version of the Southern concrete platform lamp. These are already available non-illuminated, but my bodge attempts to illuminate one does not look good. Needs someone like you to produce. This has already made it to the current survey list. Demand would be huge I think.

Simon - I am not so sure this would be a good move? Viessmann already make a working banner repeater, both ground level and standard height, at about 30 sovs. It is continental outline but very easily modified to look British. By route indicators, do you mean the "feather" type or the "theatre" type? Both are already available from the likes of Absolute Aspects, and others for the feathers. Your prices would have to be extremely keen to match them, especially if not working, and the cost of Shapeways postage at present (bar the odd freepost week) gives you a pricing difficulty.

Maybe it would be better to look for real gaps in the market. One suggestion is an illuminated version of the Southern concrete platform lamp. These are already available non-illuminated, but my bodge attempts to illuminate one does not look good. Needs someone like you to produce. This has already made it to the current survey list. Demand would be huge I think.

Hi Mike,

I understand your reservations completely, but the Veissmann product is very expensive (£31 from Kernow),  and requires a special operating unit from Veissmann, sold seperately (according to the instructions). Yes, it can be made to look British, however, it is too tall, over-scale and doesn't include the hood that is required (apart from the VMS Lightweight Ones), the version I'm doing is based on the Uni part Dorman Product and will be to scale (hence the reasons for not making it move at the moment), plus it will incorporate a British Style Signal Post and Safety Cage.

I also believe that in some cases, it isn't necessary to have a moving banner repeater, if the signal that it is repeating is off scene, then you can have one permanently 'ON' without looking odd, it may also look fine with a permanently 'OFF' Repeater. All mine would require is a connection to a standard 3mm LED. I haven't finished it yet, so I can't tell you the price, but it shouldn't be too much, either way, I'm making one for myself and I'll put it up for sale, if no one buys one, I don't really mind.

The Route Indicators I'm thinking of are Preliminary Route Indicators, these are used on approach to junctions to give drivers information on the route they are taking in advance to avoid mis-routing, there are several on Western Route and in other places, but I'm not on whether there is a market, or whether I can use a miniature dot matrix to produce it.

Hope this helps,

Simon

Hi Mike,

I understand your reservations completely, but the Veissmann product is very expensive (£31 from Kernow),  and requires a special operating unit from Veissmann, sold seperately (according to the instructions). Yes, it can be made to look British, however, it is too tall, over-scale and doesn't include the hood that is required (apart from the VMS Lightweight Ones), the version I'm doing is based on the Uni part Dorman Product and will be to scale (hence the reasons for not making it move at the moment), plus it will incorporate a British Style Signal Post and Safety Cage.

I also believe that in some cases, it isn't necessary to have a moving banner repeater, if the signal that it is repeating is off scene, then you can have one permanently 'ON' without looking odd, it may also look fine with a permanently 'OFF' Repeater. All mine would require is a connection to a standard 3mm LED. I haven't finished it yet, so I can't tell you the price, but it shouldn't be too much, either way, I'm making one for myself and I'll put it up for sale, if no one buys one, I don't really mind.

The Route Indicators I'm thinking of are Preliminary Route Indicators, these are used on approach to junctions to give drivers information on the route they are taking in advance to avoid mis-routing, there are several on Western Route and in other places, but I'm not on whether there is a market, or whether I can use a miniature dot matrix to produce it.

Hope this helps,

Simon

On the Banner Repeater, I accept what you say, but personally I would not bother buying one that didn't work. Maybe a compromise would be for it to light up in the off position only, and be wired so that an on-off switch could be used to turn it off when it needed to show "on"? Alternatively, two sets of miniature LED's to show each position?

I have never come across a Preliminary Route Indicator so I have learnt something there. (incidentally, I am very familiar with EY8 at Faversham, having flagged it several times during track circuit and points failures back in the '80's!). On the size of  a miniature dot matrix, even AbsAsp have not yet found one to scale, and their current offering is noticeably too large, but effective nonetheless.

Good luck with those. Do you think the SR platform lamp has any legs?

For information only.

Those of you who may ponder,    should I, or should I not order, items'. because you maybe put off by the postage price.

I ordered, a recent bespoke item from Simons shop,@ Shapeways,      2200hrs, last Friday night.

The order was made with the free shipping offer and code,for Nov. (now expired).

Just to shew you,the order does not go by snail mail, nor is it sent east,to circumnavigate the globe,exiting the Panama canal, to cross the Atlantic,to arrive in the UK.

Read delivery progress,in reverse order, from the bottom up.

Shipment Progress    (not the BBC Shipping Forecast, ok)

Location Date Local Time Activity
Dartford, United Kingdom 11/11/2015 5:02 A.M. Out For Delivery
Dartford, United Kingdom 11/10/2015 11:42 P.M. Arrival Scan
Barking, United Kingdom 11/10/2015 11:24 P.M. Departure Scan
11/10/2015 9:23 A.M. Arrival Scan
Eindhoven, Netherlands 11/10/2015 3:15 A.M. Departure Scan
Eindhoven, Netherlands 11/09/2015 5:40 P.M. Origin Scan

Netherlands 11/09/2015 4:51 A.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS

Edited by David Todd
  • Like 2

Good luck with those. Do you think the SR platform lamp has any legs?

Hi Mike,

I've had a look at these and having thought about it a little, I personally thing that it would be better to constructed from Brass Section etc, Even though the WSF would provide the perfect surface finish, you couldn't draw it with internal channels for wires without making it horribly overscale. You could do it in the FUD, but it would be quit fragile and I suspect trying to force wires through the post would snap it. The best I could do is print the post, but I don't think that would have such a good market!

Sorry.

Simon

Hi Mike,

I've had a look at these and having thought about it a little, I personally thing that it would be better to constructed from Brass Section etc, Even though the WSF would provide the perfect surface finish, you couldn't draw it with internal channels for wires without making it horribly overscale. You could do it in the FUD, but it would be quit fragile and I suspect trying to force wires through the post would snap it. The best I could do is print the post, but I don't think that would have such a good market!

Sorry.

Simon

Thanks Simon - I can see your point. I will continue to try to bodge the Ratio versions! Incidentally, I see Bachmann has brought out a non-working banner repeater, with ladders, for around £13. It is not particularly refined but I guess could easily be bashed to look more realistic. That would be, I guess. your primary competitor.

Thanks Simon - I can see your point. I will continue to try to bodge the Ratio versions! Incidentally, I see Bachmann has brought out a non-working banner repeater, with ladders, for around £13. It is not particularly refined but I guess could easily be bashed to look more realistic. That would be, I guess. your primary competitor.

Hi Mike,

Yes, I saw that, but that is a Steam Age Version, so its not a huge competitor. Whether mine sells or not I don't really mind, I need on for my layout!

Simon

• Like 2

Hi,

I've finished my Illuminated Banner Repeater, fixed in the 'ON' Position:

post-7271-0-58554400-1447541090.jpg

It is designed to take a pair of 3014 Surface Mounted LED's, with a slot in the back for them to be sat in. The Signal itself is based on T30BR, a Unipart Dorman at the Country end of West Croydon, however it won't be much of a problem to lower the head to the safety cage floor to represent a slightly more common arrangement. Another thing to note is that the modeller would have to cut a back cover for the head, this is only square door, and I thought that this part will get easily lost either in the printer or on a workbench!

The Cost of one of these Banners is just £7 + Postage + £0.14 for the LEDs, but of course you can cover Postage by ordering more things at the same time ;)

I've got to order this to be test printed and then I've got to test the LED's work as intended, but once this is done in the next couple of weeks, I will release it for sale.

Next things to draw up tomorrow:

• Western Region Style Location Cases (thanks to Mike The Stationmaster for supplying dimensions!)
  • Tramway Signalling Units (and possibly Traffic Signals)
  • Train Activated Treadles

Simon

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Last night I worked on some Modern UK Traffic Lights for Norwood Road, seen as I can't find scale UK traffic lights anywhere!

post-7271-0-35808500-1453160371.jpg

At the moment, they are costumised  for the roads on Norwood Road, but it doesn't take long to produce the various other common types of light seen in the UK.

If you want to have a set, with what you would want in a set and I'll take a look!

Simon

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

These are way outside my time frame, but you might consider some with longer full circle cowls and ones with square filters - both for use where strong low-level sun can be a problem.

Also, there are the pedestrian lights & button units at pelican crossings.

Stu

Edited by Stubby47

Hi,

Thebritfarmer - Yes, I can certainly do that, how many do you think should be in a pack?

Stu - Yes, I can look at those, the ones I've drawn up are only the ones I need for Norwood Road, thus there's no pedestrian ones, but I will look into them if there is enough demand.

The pack shown there also has Tram Signals (the large Rectangular things), if people want those in a pack, then I can supply those as well!

Simon

Stu - Yes, I can look at those, the ones I've drawn up are only the ones I need for Norwood Road

...you hinted at an update, Simon. No pressure, though! :P

Those traffic lights are perfect! I have a real one at school for my final graphic communication project so if you need any sizes i can help. Maybe a crossing set and a crossroads set would be good. You could maybe also have heads seperate to the poles so that they can be positioned anywhere.

Hi simon i wuod have 2 standard ones for a pedestrian crossing - would you be able to do a standsrd set up. Eg:

2X single post with double headed (either end) with stop/go man light.

Would you be also tempted to add a small box half way down for where pedestrians press the button at all?

Here is a picture of the set i mean as its a little confusing to explain...

http://cheam.mycouncillor.org.uk/files/2014/12/Malden-Road-Pelican-Crossing-1.jpg

An up close shot of what i mean by the stop go man Light. The second and third photos show it the best.

https://www.trafficchoices.co.uk/traffic-schemes/pelican-crossing.shtml

And the small yellow box for operating by pedestrians.

http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/index.php?title=File:IOM_Airport_Mellors_Pelican_Crossing_-_Coppermine_-_13282.JPG

Would this be possible?

Thanks, Peter

Hi simon i wuod have 2 standard ones for a pedestrian crossing - would you be able to do a standsrd set up. Eg:

2X single post with double headed (either end) with stop/go man light.

Would you be also tempted to add a small box half way down for where pedestrians press the button at all?

Here is a picture of the set i mean as its a little confusing to explain...

http://cheam.mycouncillor.org.uk/files/2014/12/Malden-Road-Pelican-Crossing-1.jpg

An up close shot of what i mean by the stop go man Light. The second and third photos show it the best.

https://www.trafficchoices.co.uk/traffic-schemes/pelican-crossing.shtml

And the small yellow box for operating by pedestrians.

http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/index.php?title=File:IOM_Airport_Mellors_Pelican_Crossing_-_Coppermine_-_13282.JPG

Would this be possible?

Thanks, Peter

Hi,

Yes, this would be possible, give me time to order and test print my ones and then I'll start working on other types. I have got dimensions etc for the the pedestrian light, but I didn't need any for my layout, so didn't CAD any up.

i would think between 8-12 per pack? 

Okay, my pack has 12 in (8 traffic signals and 4 tram signals) and its going to be around £20.

Simon

• Like 2