3D Printed 'OO' Modern Image Lineside Details

• RMweb Gold

Another point heating gismo following on from your point heating transformers. A vital piece and one that I would like. David

I would have thought the heater strips are so thin in section they could best be modelled by cutting very narrow strips of ordinary printer paper - but that does in any case rely on having a rail foot which which is wide enough to fix them to.  te fixing clips would be no more than a dab of paint.

Or are you actually referring to the enclosed back drive units mounted in the four foot?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Latest model off the laptop:

post-7271-0-53792100-1454970678_thumb.jpeg

A Freelance 'OO' Tram, based closely on the Stadler Variobahn vehicles used on the Croydon Tramlink. There are only three vehicles, a driving car, a trailer car and a centre car (two of the driver and trailer cars would be needed), 

This is just the first shots as it were, although the driving car bodies I think are done, but the other bodies need tweaking. I'm still thinking about the chassis' at the moment.

Current indications are that it will be £120 for the bodies only, at this price I'm not sure as to whether it is worth selling, particularly as there are some nice european trams from Halling (Albeit 'HO')

Simon

• Like 3

Another point heating gismo following on from your point heating transformers. A vital piece and one that I would like. David

Hi,

If I'm honest, they are not to hard to knock up from plasticard / strip, plus there are so many variations depending on the point set up I wouldn't be able to cover all of them and wouldn't be able to do it as cheap as some plastic rod!

Simon

Sorry for the delay. You are correct regarding the heaters, not a item to waste time on.  The back drive units? I have been unable to find a description on the web, is that an item in the offing?

Hi Max,

Its quite, my last post referred to both the point heating strips and the backdrive covers.

A point back drive is a mechanical device to ensure that the rear of the switch on a point is driven all the way across to it's required position, it works off the stretcher bar at the toes of the point and drives the rear of the switch that is connected to further stretcher bars via either cranks, or a torsion tube.

Simon

Any updates on the test prints for your traffic lights?

urm, no, I'm afraid I haven't got around to ordering them, I'm going to make some adjustments to my set after I consulted with my 'Roads' expert and he informed me that I need to have a lightly different combinations of lights, I'll do it this weekend I hope and get them printed next week.

Simon 

• 3 weeks later...

urm, no, I'm afraid I haven't got around to ordering them, I'm going to make some adjustments to my set after I consulted with my 'Roads' expert and he informed me that I need to have a lightly different combinations of lights, I'll do it this weekend I hope and get them printed next week.

Simon

Further to the above, I have received the test prints and they have come out well, so, over the next week or so, I'll get together some packs of traffic lights for sale, what are people's preferences?

Simon

Edited by St. Simon
  • Like 1

Hi simon i wuod have 2 standard ones for a pedestrian crossing - would you be able to do a standsrd set up. Eg:

2X single post with double headed (either end) with stop/go man light.

Would you be also tempted to add a small box half way down for where pedestrians press the button at all?

Here is a picture of the set i mean as its a little confusing to explain...

http://cheam.mycouncillor.org.uk/files/2014/12/Malden-Road-Pelican-Crossing-1.jpg

An up close shot of what i mean by the stop go man Light. The second and third photos show it the best.

https://www.trafficchoices.co.uk/traffic-schemes/pelican-crossing.shtml

And the small yellow box for operating by pedestrians.

http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/index.php?title=File:IOM_Airport_Mellors_Pelican_Crossing_-_Coppermine_-_13282.JPG

Would this be possible?

Thanks, Peter

Hi,

Yes, this would be possible, give me time to order and test print my ones and then I'll start working on other types. I have got dimensions etc for the the pedestrian light, but I didn't need any for my layout, so didn't CAD any up.

Okay, my pack has 12 in (8 traffic signals and 4 tram signals) and its going to be around £20.

Simon

Preferences was as mentioned before lol - thanks again!!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Sorry I've been so late replying to the thread, been busy with work, college and building my layout to reply.

The Traffic lights have been printed fine and are on my layout. But a combination of factors including my laptop breaking down has meant I haven't been able to CAD up a 'public sales' pack. I might be able to do this on Thursday of I'm lucky, but if not, it could be another week.

Simon

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Right, after a long wait (I do apologise, I've been so busy!), two packs of traffic lights are available for purchase, both packs contain four traffic lights, all four have pedestrian control units, while two of them (opposing) have the red / green walking man signals attached to them. One pack are 'old style' which have a single part pedestrian control unit, whilst the other pack is 'New Style', with a two part control unit:

Old Style:

post-7271-0-20421000-1465847122.jpg

New Style:

post-7271-0-44451000-1465847147.jpg

These are up for sale, but they the specific packs have not been test printed, although the the CAD files have been printed successfully.

Also, Shapeways have an offer of 20% off strong and flexible products, I have quite a few things in strong flexible, so order all those things you where wanting to order now :)

Simon

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi,

After a break, I have managed to get the Tram bodies finished:

post-7271-0-29622300-1469016122.jpg

post-7271-0-34259800-1469016126_thumb.jpg

The sad thing is that when I uploaded them to Shapeways, the cost to print just the two driving cars (with cab inserts) and the two trailer cars will be around £130  in WSF (it'll be £250 in FXD) including shipping, this is before I include the centre car, a Pantograph, any chassis or interior, so I think its a no go for me, unless I find someone who can print with a wall thickness of 0.7mm and down to a detail level of 0.2mm

In other, more positive news, I have released some N-Gauge items, having been requested to, these include the Southern PID's (The regular whens are still in development), the DOO Mirrors, Lift Entrances and Help Points:

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/sjpmodels?section=N+Gauge+Models&s=0

Simon

• Like 2

Hi,

After a break, I have managed to get the Tram bodies finished:

attachicon.gifTram 1.JPG

attachicon.gifTram 2.JPG

The sad thing is that when I uploaded them to Shapeways, the cost to print just the two driving cars (with cab inserts) and the two trailer cars will be around £130  in WSF (it'll be £250 in FXD) including shipping, this is before I include the centre car, a Pantograph, any chassis or interior, so I think its a no go for me, unless I find someone who can print with a wall thickness of 0.7mm and down to a detail level of 0.2mm

In other, more positive news, I have released some N-Gauge items, having been requested to, these include the Southern PID's (The regular whens are still in development), the DOO Mirrors, Lift Entrances and Help Points:

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/sjpmodels?section=N+Gauge+Models&s=0

Simon

Is it worth approaching a UK printer? For example CW railways. I only mention this as I know Chris reasonably although he has since sold the business.

I have no business or financial connection with either, just trying to help (Would consider a model myself)

Is it worth approaching a UK printer? For example CW railways. I only mention this as I know Chris reasonably although he has since sold the business.

I have no business or financial connection with either, just trying to help (Would consider a model myself)

It would be, but as far as I'm aware there aren't any model raliway printers that have the printers required to print to the same specification as Shapeways.

The thing is that if I was to go to someone else, it would probably be a one off print for my use, having a full time job means I can't manage a full model business with the costumer service it deserves, and I wouldn't be comfortable handing my designs over for someone else to sell.

I would love to have them to sell, but I think at the moment it's just uneconomical

Simon