3D Printed 'OO' Modern Image Lineside Details

Hi,

The next product that has been requested is Western Region Location Cabinets, after a request by The Stationmaster, and members of Network Rail SDG! 

I need some drawings for them, to get some dimensions, or side on Photos and overall dimensions, so i can scale them. So if you have either of these things, please get in touch!

Simon

No, I think you have got the wrong end of the stick. They are a bit behind with the route upgrades. They need a few thousand full size ones......

No, I think you have got the wrong end of the stick. They are a bit behind with the route upgrades. They need a few thousand full size ones......

Yes, you could be correct, but luckily, they are for the modelling members of the team! :)

Also, I have just scaled up the Poster Boards, after a request by a friend of mine and are now ready to order :)

Simon

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

So I can finish a project on Newgate Lane, I have redesigned my Indicator Bracket to specifically accommodate the Eckon Station 'OFF Board' Kit:

post-7271-0-74874600-1417205937.jpg

This makes it easier to mount the Indicator than trying to scratch build a bracket, all it needs is a 5mm hole through the Platform and a smaller hole through the baseboard to accommodate the wiring.

It's now on sale in Frosted Ultra Detail.

Speaking of Sales, you may have noticed that Shapeways has a sale on, with $10 store credit if you buy stuff from stores, so if you want to get any of the products on this thread, now's the time :)

Simon 

Edited by St. Simon
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I've recently been looking at Signalling Gantries and have thought about printing them, as a 'modular' range of products, so far I've produced the Legs for a gantry, such as the ones that can be seen at Reading:

post-7271-0-81587300-1418247933.jpg

These, which are designed for signals to be placed 'on the deck' rather than slung under the deck, will slot into a deck of the size wanted, to which Signal Heads from various manufacturers can be fitted, I'm looking at created frames for the signal out of FUD, but more thought needs to be put to this.

The Legs are designed with holes through them down through which the signal wires can be threaded:

post-7271-0-88981500-1418247876_thumb.jpg

Some people have pointed out that the White Strong and Flexible material might not be suitable for this application, but having felt the weight on a recent commission, I feel that it would be suitable, but just to sure, I've added a cavity at the bottom of the legs into which Liquid Lead can be poured to add extra weight.

What do people think about it?

Simon

• Like 4

They look promising Simon but my fear is that they will be prohibitively expensive in comparison to making your own from brass. I do however appreciate that not everyone will have the desire to build their own and may view your proposals as worth the purchase price. Any idea of the potential cost of a complete gantry?

They look promising Simon but my fear is that they will be prohibitively expensive in comparison to making your own from brass. I do however appreciate that not everyone will have the desire to build their own and may view your proposals as worth the purchase price. Any idea of the potential cost of a complete gantry?

Hi,

The pair of legs you see there are around 10 Euros and will probably be the most expensive bit, as the way of building modern gantries is using I Beam construction, so are mostly air.

I will look at ways of reducing the amount of material on the model, as this is will save cost.

I feel that building you're own gantries can be time consuming (if not rewarding) and certainly my skills aren't up to it yet, plus, this (Hopefully) will be a very flexible system, I can even get the Deck to be come in the standard black colour, and the nylon plastic will prevent shorts occurring.

Simon

• 3 weeks later...

I'm putting my station entrance area together so I've just placed an order for some ticket barriers (A-04) and some UK Fire Hydrants (also some stairs from a different seller).  Some very useful items.

Edited by BR(S)
  • Like 1

I'm putting my station entrance area together so I've just placed an order for some ticket barriers (A-04) and some UK Fire Hydrants (also some stairs from a different seller).  Some very useful items.

Hi,

Yes, I got the email this morning, I hope that you like the items and please do share pictures of the finished items on High gate wood!

Simon

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Simon

having printed 90% of a gantry (see the last page of my layout thread), the following comments are from experience. Depending on design you risk warping simlar to what you get with plasticard. A printed version is going to be lot more delicate (easy to break) and signals are probably the most vunerable bits on a layout after lamp posts! Just be prepared to have to replace them every so often. Would I do it again? Not the complete unit but use it for parts that not easy to scratch build.

Simon

having printed 90% of a gantry (see the last page of my layout thread), the following comments are from experience. Depending on design you risk warping simlar to what you get with plasticard. A printed version is going to be lot more delicate (easy to break) and signals are probably the most vunerable bits on a layout after lamp posts! Just be prepared to have to replace them every so often. Would I do it again? Not the complete unit but use it for parts that not easy to scratch build.

The idea for one is that I will only print the legs and deck, then the ladders, handrails and bits can be added as desired by the modeller, the signals themselves would be commercial models, such as Eckon or Traintronics, I will include channels in the deck for the cables. So it will be more of a scratch building aid. 

I will use the heavier nylon material and make the newer 'chunkier' style of gantries. I've started on the deck, I just need to work out how long it'll be for various track layouts.

Simon 

Hi,

Well, just to say thank you to everyone who has contributed to the thread since it's been started, and have placed orders for the products, I hope that everyone is pleased with their models:)

I hope that next year that the orders continue, I hope that early in the new year, I will have the signalling gantry ready for sale, and as ever, if you need anything, just say and I'll have a look at it :)

Have a good 2015, regards,

Simon

• Like 2

Could go for some Pullman table lamps for the Hornby northern belle and WCRC Pullman mk2E coaches if your looking for ideas ;) just need to get the track to a stage where I can use your products.

Hi,

I'm sure I can knock up something!

Simon

Could you do a sprig of non-signal post telephones? the types that were/are separately mounted adjacent to point handle boxes, ground frames and so on, where an SPT was not available or appropriate. I have found that trying to carve the phone box curved shape by hand, from plastic rod etc, is really difficult. If you can model them on to a waist high post, great, but the post is not the problem!

Could you do a sprig of non-signal post telephones? the types that were/are separately mounted adjacent to point handle boxes, ground frames and so on, where an SPT was not available or appropriate. I have found that trying to carve the phone box curved shape by hand, from plastic rod etc, is really difficult. If you can model them on to a waist high post, great, but the post is not the problem!

Hi,

Sure can, I need to find some dimensions for some and I'll knock them up. If I draw them with a 4ft post, would that be okay? Then you can cut them down as needed.

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Sure can, I need to find some dimensions for some and I'll knock them up. If I draw them with a 4ft post, would that be okay? Then you can cut them down as needed.

Simon

Will be cool to see these once done I must admit I wouldn't mind some too.

Will be cool to see these once done I must admit I wouldn't mind some too.

Hi,

You're wish is my command:

post-7271-0-19732700-1420410646.jpg

They are based on the Titan Telephones, with on a scale 1.4 metre post, they come in a pack of 5 and only available in Frosted Ultra Detail

These are now for sale, but these HAVE NOT been test printed, if you want to be the first to order, go ahead, but be aware that they could be rejected, in which case, you'll get a refund.

Simon

• Like 2

Blimey - you don't hang about!!! Very nice. Will wait for you to confirm test print ok and then bang in an order - next week?

Hi Mike,

No worries, it telephones are a simple shape, so it doesn't take that long to produce the actual models! 

I've just placed the order for the test print, as actually, I need some as well, although I didn't realize that I could produce them  :banghead:  Hopefully by the end of tomorrow I should be able to confirm whether it's okay or not, as I've found placing an order for test prints in the evening means they will be processed first thing in the morning :)

Simon

Hopefully by the end of tomorrow I should be able to confirm whether it's okay or not, as I've found placing an order for test prints in the evening means they will be processed first thing in the morning :)

Simon

Hi,

Well, I was right, they have been processed and have been accepted, so they are on their way to the printers as we speak!

Simon