3D Printed 'OO' Modern Image Lineside Details

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

The Impedence Bonds are now for sale, I ordered Test Prints of the these and the Tail Lamps a couple of weeks ago, but they were only process and shipped in the past couple of days, and seen as there are no issues, I'm happy for them to go on sale.

Simon

Thanks Simon - they will be very useful. I can't place an order until late June but will do so then.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A St Simon Lineside Telephone.

They are supplied, as translucent finish.

attachicon.gifP1220005(1).JPG

attachicon.gifP1220006(1).JPG

Am going to use an airbrush next time.

Also its my first waterslide attempt.

Hi David,

I found just using Halfords Grey Spray Primer looks just as well as an airbrush. But you're a better man than I to get that telephone sign on the front, I didn't even attempt it.

Sorry for the lack of updates recently, been busy with work, but I hope to bring you lots of updates and pictures of a new layout project in the next couple of weeks,

Simon

Edited by St. Simon
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

For those that model the Southern Region, I have a new item to add to your list!

A Suppressed AWS Magnet for Southern Region Lines:

post-7271-0-58141500-1440098008.jpg

These are used on Heavy use Bi-directional Lines where the AWS magnet only applies for one direction. Be aware that these type of suppressed magnets are only used in 3rd Rail areas, there is a different style of suppressed magnet used in other areas, but I haven't got drawings for these.

I have order a job lot of various products to put on the new layout, including Impedance Bonds and one of these magnets, so you'll be able to see a lot of my stuff on a larger layout!

Simon

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Simon

Nice work there. Any chance you could make some derailers as found at the entrance to depot sheds. Unfortunately I am unable to get photos of them.

Many thanks

Darrel

Hi Darrel,

Sorry for no getting back to you soon, I've been a bit busy, I can do something like that, although I need a good photo & some overall dimensions, or a fully dimensioned scale drawing.

In other news, I'm start on a piece of modern rolling stock, this will be the second piece of stock I've done, the first being a O-16.5 commission for the High Wycombe & District Model Railway Society. I'm going to keep full details under wraps as its at inital draft stage, but I will say it is actually to do with my layout, plus the model has been done before, but no longer available.

Simon

• Like 1

Hi Darrel,

Sorry for no getting back to you soon, I've been a bit busy, I can do something like that, although I need a good photo & some overall dimensions, or a fully dimensioned scale drawing.

In other news, I'm start on a piece of modern rolling stock, this will be the second piece of stock I've done, the first being a O-16.5 commission for the High Wycombe & District Model Railway Society. I'm going to keep full details under wraps as its at inital draft stage, but I will say it is actually to do with my layout, plus the model has been done before, but no longer available.

Simon

Hi Simon

Sadly I'm not able to get photos myself as I no longer go into any maintenance depots there is a photo on this page http://www.zonegreen.co.uk/products/safety-equipment/ while there are no measurements I'm sure you can work it out using the width of the rail as a starting point.

Hope this helps

• RMweb Gold

Croydon Tram? ;)

I purchased some of your platform shelters and various bits of lineside equipment not so long ago, they are are excellent pieces and highly recommended :good:  Shall be getting some more as my various projects develop.

• Like 1

Croydon Tram? ;)

I purchased some of your platform shelters and various bits of lineside equipment not so long ago, they are are excellent pieces and highly recommended :good:  Shall be getting some more as my various projects develop.

The man has it in one, kind of! Currently the project has stalled as I simply can't get the front end to work, it is beyond the limits of my capability, however, I'm still looking at doing a free-lance type of design which has the 'Croydon' body, but a 'boxier' nose, but at the moment it's a little way off!

Thank you for the recommendation, I'm glad that you are happy with them and they suit your requirements, please feel free to order more :) and thank you once again for the order.

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

For those that model the Southern Region, I have a new item to add to your list!

A Suppressed AWS Magnet for Southern Region Lines:

attachicon.gif625x465_3739853_11723702_1440080873.jpg

These are used on Heavy use Bi-directional Lines where the AWS magnet only applies for one direction. Be aware that these type of suppressed magnets are only used in 3rd Rail areas, there is a different style of suppressed magnet used in other areas, but I haven't got drawings for these.

I have order a job lot of various products to put on the new layout, including Impedance Bonds and one of these magnets, so you'll be able to see a lot of my stuff on a larger layout!

Simon

This is a slightly different version ?      on Dover Priory, bi-directional line.

Think, this was your first version you produced.

post-13585-0-63419300-1442726543.jpg

Unfortunately, I will have to purchase another two of these,that came with the single ramps I ordered.

1. Have managed to lose one,have search repeatedly for it.

2. I used Citadel Technical imperial primer on it, appears to have parted.

This is not the fault of the product, just me.

post-13585-0-45566700-1442728027.jpg

Some of St Simon's products on ShapewaysI have used, am sure, you can do better than my poor modelling skill's.

Induction head's, before gluing into place.

post-13585-0-75549800-1442728805.jpg

Station Help Point,  trial, used one of my reduced sized photos.

post-13585-0-34955300-1442729026.jpg

Grids, by another 3d printer, on Shapeways.

post-13585-0-02211900-1442729090.jpg

This is a slightly different version ?      on Dover Priory, bi-directional line.

Think, this was your first version you produced.

attachicon.gifP1220728(1).JPG

Hi David,

The suppressed version is different to the ones you have on Dover Priory, they aren't the same as the ones in your picture.

There are four basic AWS Set up that we should no about, first of all, the standard, uni-directional installation:

post-7271-0-97489200-1442865868_thumb.jpg

This consist of an 'normal' AWS Installation usually 180 meters from the signal. When approaching the Signal from the right, you first run over the Obstacle Deflector (R in the Image), than the Permanent Magnet (P) and then the Electromagnet (E), this is used where the line is signalled for one direction and no other moves in the opposing direction, the most common set up

Next is your example David, the Bi-directional magnet:

post-7271-0-60486500-1442865887_thumb.jpg

This would be usually seen in a station platform, although it can be seen on 'plain line', this is used where the line is Bi-directional-ally signalled and where the two opposing signals are two close together to have their own magnet without it being between another magnet and that magnets associated signal / sign (following this so far?). In this case, they share a Permanent magnet and have separate Electromagnets for each signal at the ends of the equipment. Seen as its a single line, there would only ever be a signalled move in one direction at one time, so only the Electromagnet for that signal would be energised, the train will always run over the Permanent Magnet followed by the Electromagnet, whatever direction is travelling.

Where Opposing move signals are placed a long way from each other, then they have there own Magnet Sets, but obviously if moves are going on in both directions, then the driver might get a AWS indication for something in the opposite direction that doesn't apply to him / her. There are two ways of dealing with this:

post-7271-0-18421400-1442865909_thumb.jpg

The cheapest and simplest option is to have a standard uni-directional magnet with an AWS Cancelling Indicator (a white St. Georges Cross on Blue Background) at 180 metres after the magnet in the direction that it does not apply to, telling the driver to cancel the AWS Indication they just got. This is mainly used in areas of low traffic, such as little used branch lines or freight lines, where the cost implications of a suppressed magnet would out weigh the operational benefit.

Finally is my Suppressed Magnet:

post-7271-0-65018600-1442866016_thumb.jpg

In areas with Bi-directional running and high traffic density in both directions where the AWS Magnet only applies to a signal in one direction, a Suppressed Permanent Magnet (S) replaces the Permanent Magnet. What happens is that when the move is signalled from the Right to the Left of the image, the Permanent Magnet is not suppressed, thus give the AWS Indications as required. When the move is signalled from the let to right of the image, the Permanent Magnet is suppressed, effectively making the AWS installation 'invisible' to the train moving from left to right. 

These are the basic installations, although the Suppressed Permanent Magnet can be used on its own for Speed Signs on a Bi-directional Line, and also it can be provided on a Uni-directional line on approach to a divergent junction, where the divergent lines need warning of a speed restriction and the straight on route doesn't require the warning. This is called 'selective suppression', i.e. the Magnet is only suppressed for certain Routes when they are selected

Hope this helps!

Simon

• Like 2

Hi David,

The suppressed version is different to the ones you have on Dover Priory, they aren't the same as the ones in your picture.

There are four basic AWS Set up that we should no about, first of all, the standard, uni-directional installation:

attachicon.gifAWS 1.jpg

This consist of an 'normal' AWS Installation usually 180 meters from the signal. When approaching the Signal from the right, you first run over the Obstacle Deflector (R in the Image), than the Permanent Magnet (P) and then the Electromagnet (E), this is used where the line is signalled for one direction and no other moves in the opposing direction, the most common set up

Next is your example David, the Bi-directional magnet:

attachicon.gifAWS 2.jpg

This would be usually seen in a station platform, although it can be seen on 'plain line', this is used where the line is Bi-directional-ally signalled and where the two opposing signals are two close together to have their own magnet without it being between another magnet and that magnets associated signal / sign (following this so far?). In this case, they share a Permanent magnet and have separate Electromagnets for each signal at the ends of the equipment. Seen as its a single line, there would only ever be a signalled move in one direction at one time, so only the Electromagnet for that signal would be energised, the train will always run over the Permanent Magnet followed by the Electromagnet, whatever direction is travelling.

Where Opposing move signals are placed a long way from each other, then they have there own Magnet Sets, but obviously if moves are going on in both directions, then the driver might get a AWS indication for something in the opposite direction that doesn't apply to him / her. There are two ways of dealing with this:

attachicon.gifAWS 3.jpg

The cheapest and simplest option is to have a standard uni-directional magnet with an AWS Cancelling Indicator (a white St. Georges Cross on Blue Background) at 180 metres after the magnet in the direction that it does not apply to, telling the driver to cancel the AWS Indication they just got. This is mainly used in areas of low traffic, such as little used branch lines or freight lines, where the cost implications of a suppressed magnet would out weigh the operational benefit.

Finally is my Suppressed Magnet:

attachicon.gifAWS 4.jpg

In areas with Bi-directional running and high traffic density in both directions where the AWS Magnet only applies to a signal in one direction, a Suppressed Permanent Magnet (S) replaces the Permanent Magnet. What happens is that when the move is signalled from the Right to the Left of the image, the Permanent Magnet is not suppressed, thus give the AWS Indications as required. When the move is signalled from the let to right of the image, the Permanent Magnet is suppressed, effectively making the AWS installation 'invisible' to the train moving from left to right. 

These are the basic installations, although the Suppressed Permanent Magnet can be used on its own for Speed Signs on a Bi-directional Line, and also it can be provided on a Uni-directional line on approach to a divergent junction, where the divergent lines need warning of a speed restriction and the straight on route doesn't require the warning. This is called 'selective suppression', i.e. the Magnet is only suppressed for certain Routes when they are selected

Hope this helps!

Simon

Thanks for the information Simon, appreciate it.

21815967601_1396983573_z.jpg

by David Todd 2012, on Flickr

I now know, why the letters were written on the platform front's. @ DP.

post-13585-0-18536600-1443519771.jpg

• Like 2