Peter's Spares (Teesside)

Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

Just a quick note of praise for a very efficient service. I ordered a hard-to-find Bachmann 45xx on Monday and it arrived very well packaged the following day.
Proper job!

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Stubby

*Pedant alert*

Could you amend Teeside to Teesside, thanks.

The shop is about 5 miles from work so is handy to pop in when I need stuff. The shop assistants and the man himself are most helpful

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

I think they have an issue with the way their Ebay shop is managed.

I ordered a Parkside O gauge kit last week, ebay sends me a message to say its been posted, two days later i get an email from Peters Spares to say theyve had an issue with their Ebay stock list and that

my order will be sent when a delivery arrives.

Mark

The prblem is ebay. Theytake a cut of the payment, including the postage. I tend to replace their suggested postage with my own when I am listing , as they are often under what I know something will cost to post. They would like everyone to offer free postage. I put up with the way ebay works, but do object to losing money which I am payin for(ie postage). Only reason they do it this way, is because soe people started putting a low price on items and upped the postage cost.

I have had no problem in the past with Peter's Spares, and tend to only use their ebay shop if it is not on their proper website. Maybe someone else is looking after the ebay shop. Maintaining stock control on different systens is not something I would want to do.

In this case might be worth ordering direct, not via ebay, as it is sometimes cheaper.

No change of management as far as i am aware. I am fortunate to be in traveling distance of the store.

I do recommend buying from the website rather than ebay. You can find the item is cheaper on the home site, than on ebay. I assume due to excessive ebay fees. This was my last purchase with a major saving buying direct.

https://www.petersspares.com/Bachmann-31910-h1-class-atlantic-442-no-39-la-france-lbscr-oo-gauge.ir

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-31-910-H1-Class-Atlantic-4-4-2-No-39-La-France-LBSCR-OO-Gauge/323560388499?hash=item4b55b3b793:g:Su0AAOSwgNFb8-TT:rk:2:pf:0

Mike Wilthire

Hi there, 

Peter from Peters Spares Model Railways Ltd. My colleague spotted this customer complaint so I thought best to pop on and explain the details fully. 

eBay can calculate combined postage for the customer, however any order over £50 (and under our £150 free postage offer for two or more different items) Shipped to mainland UK (not highlands and Islands). Needs to be tracked and insured with a courier or by Special Delivery. As eBay can't compute this, all we can do is display clearly this fact:

Taken from even one of our eBay pages...

We offer a flat rate postage charge for UK and overseas (unless stated in the listing) one amount of postage for one or more items so you can buy more than one item for the same postage price. Any order over £50.00 in goods will need to be sent via a courier to be tracked and insured. eBay won't do this automatically so please request an invoice.

This is automatically calculated by eBay at the checkout page. If you feel that the postage is incorrect do not pay. Instead, please request or await an invoice. (Courier 24 hour shipping with insurance and tracking (depending on location see below) can be purchased instead or 1st Class please select this at the time of paying or ask us to amend the invoice.) If you are purchasing from overseas please request an invoice before paying for combined orders.

This also applies if you are not living in the mainland UK courier area as eBay doesn't know to charge to say the Highlands.

We also do try to help and if a customer orders x20 of something with a £2.00 postage rate but x20 of the item would make a £4.00 postal rate we very often let it slide if we can.

For this particular customers order the items were more than £50 and the customer had not contacted us prior to paying or awaited a new invoice so we had to message them and ask for the extra £2.99.

eBay are wrong in what they have told the customer as they have not had all the facts and it is ok to request postage if needed due to errors with their system.

I hope this clears the matter up. And would appreciate any customer wanting to vent their issue not to do it on forums or our facebook page unless they have all the facts and have read our postage terms and conditions first. 

Thanks Peter 

No change of management as far as i am aware. I am fortunate to be in traveling distance of the store.

I do recommend buying from the website rather than ebay. You can find the item is cheaper on the home site, than on ebay. I assume due to excessive ebay fees. This was my last purchase with a major saving buying direct.

https://www.petersspares.com/Bachmann-31910-h1-class-atlantic-442-no-39-la-france-lbscr-oo-gauge.ir

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-31-910-H1-Class-Atlantic-4-4-2-No-39-La-France-LBSCR-OO-Gauge/323560388499?hash=item4b55b3b793:g:Su0AAOSwgNFb8-TT:rk:2:pf:0

Mike Wilthire

I would only use eBay as opposed to a shops own site if the item was on eBay e.g. rails of Sheffield 2nd hand stock, or if there is a super Nectar points offer on. Other than that its not worth the extra cost

For any other comments left above:

We did have a stock error on a O Gauge Parkside kit that has now arrived and been sent to our customer. We would normally contact within 24 hours (give us time to re check the store for the missing item) but this time of year we have been very busy with the expected Christmas rush. This sort of stock shortage can sometimes arise if we have low stock ie one of an item when the customers order downloads from eBay there could be a very slim chance a customer grabs one in the store and pays at the till or the website takes an order for the same time.

The system we use controls the shop - eBay - the Website and our Amazon store and synchronises stock arriving or departing within ten minutes so this sort or issue can unfortunately arise but not very often.

We have no new management and I am still overseeing all aspects of the stores operation.

Items are cheaper on our website than on eBay or Amazon due to the fees that they charge (they even take fees from the postage paid).

We would prefer customers to use our website as they will save some money (I have to add that the website minimum postage is £4 so if you want an item like a pack of tyres the RRP price would be more on eBay but postage would be £2 so like I do when I buy items it's best to check prices before paying unless you are just happy with the postage displayed). The cart on our website will calculate postage correctly as long as the customer selects their correct location. Also overseas customers that are VAT exempt can also save the VAT.

I hope you all have more information now and I wish everyone a Happy Christmas and a Wonderful New Year. 

Peter 

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Just wanted to say what a super service I had from Peter's spares. I normally use their website but wanted a couple of small bolts for two Hornby locos and couldn't find them on the website. I phoned them and they took time to research suitable alternatives for me. Considering it was a relatively small sale, I can't speak too highly of the attention they gave to my requirements.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

A big thankyou to Peter's Spares for quite exceptional service - I ordered some stock and bit and bobs about 1 or 2am on 23/12/20, expecting them to come early in the New Year. I was pleasantly taken aback to have them land on my doorstep on Christmas Eve, leading to some most enjoyable playing  modelling over my Christmas leave. Cheers, Peter's Spares! 

Also a big shout out to everyone in the logistics chain who is making delivery of everything from toilet roll to replacement brass wheelsets possible during this crisis. Kudos! 

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Found out yesterday in another topic, that the Britannia detail pack, previously X9609 is now available as X11629.

Package from Peter's Spares has just arrived, so order to delivery less than 24 hours, excellent service.

Regards,

John

• 3 months later...

Just a quick note of praise.

I sent for a Bachmann 8750 pannier tank on Wednesday morning and it arrived well packed and in perfect condition on Thursday afternoon. Which I think is a superb service. Will use them again I think. Many thanks.

Kind regards Peter M

• Agree 2

• 1 year later...

My problem with Peter's Spares is that it always pops up when you search for an item on Google but a vast percentage of items are out of stock and Peter can't tell you when or if they might ever come back in. I know Hornby spares availability is shameful but the website really needs housekeeping, or it becomes like Amazon - which lists almost every consumer product ever made, even if they have never had any in stock!  It's basically clickbait for seatch engines.

• RMweb Premium

They have taken over Dapol Spares supply from DCC Concepts.  Some areas of railway modelling social media have gone into meltdown at the news for some reason.

Personally, I am happy they have taken on the spares but do hope that when they get all the Dapol Spares in stock that they do something about their terrible website.

• Like 1

On 09/11/2022 at 13:55, rogerzilla said:

My problem with Peter's Spares is that it always pops up when you search for an item on Google but a vast percentage of items are out of stock and Peter can't tell you when or if they might ever come back in. I know Hornby spares availability is shameful but the website really needs housekeeping, or it becomes like Amazon - which lists almost every consumer product ever made, even if they have never had any in stock!  It's basically clickbait for seatch engines.

I regard that as an advantage.

If I am looking for odd bits that might be of use it is a good reference as to how various parts are packed.

I have found several packs that contain what I am after when the pack that has the official description might be out of stock.

A bit of lateral thinking might be better than just having a moan.😶

Bernard

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Bernard Lamb said:

I regard that as an advantage.

If I am looking for odd bits that might be of use it is a good reference as to how various parts are packed.

I have found several packs that contain what I am after when the pack that has the official description might be out of stock.

A bit of lateral thinking might be better than just having a moan.😶

Bernard

Only applies if by some miracle they have the other packs in stock. Other suppliers only have odds and sods left as well.

Its not moaning its facts , and Hornby need to up their game big time. Top top prices and no customer support via spares = why bother buying anything of Hornby's products  in the future,  when its potential bin material after a few weeks/months !!

Bachmann have kept their spare parts inhouse, and offer far far better customer service for spares including bodies and chassis blocks  which Hornby have never made available for years (if ever) .

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, micklner said:

Only applies if by some miracle they have the other packs in stock. Other suppliers only have odds and sods left as well.

Its not moaning its facts , and Hornby need to up their game big time. Top top prices and no customer support via spares = why bother buying anything of Hornby's products  in the future,  when its potential bin material after a few weeks/months !!

Bachmann have kept their spare parts inhouse, and offer far far better customer service for spares including bodies and chassis blocks  which Hornby have never made available for years (if ever) .

Examples: you can't get traction tyres for relatively recent Railroad Schools.  You can't get carbon brushes for ringfield Castles, which aren't that old (some are DCC ready!).  These are consumables, not "oops, I broke it" parts.

The MN and WC classes also have a habit of destroying their flimsy conrods and slide bars during running, and this reduces the loco to scrap because - no spares.  At least the last time I looked into it.

Edited by rogerzilla

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, John M Upton said:

They have taken over Dapol Spares supply from DCC Concepts. 

That has to be good news.

When I had problems with the Dapol class 121 on which the warranty had only recently expired I was referred by Dapol to DCC Concepts.   I could never receive any response from DCC Concepts and eventually sold the 121 as a non-runner.