What type of Land Rovers were these? Taken at Leyland in June 1966.

I’m glad this thread has come back to life. The original picture is definitely SIIA 109 FFRs. 

I have been playing in Army Rovers since I passed my test with the SSM in 1986, including owning my own S3 Lightweight for ten years (having children meant I couldn’t keep it on any longer...).

In HQ Squadron RY we had a SIIA BFA (battlefield ambulance) from 1965, all the way through to 1997. It would do 80 happily, and only the interim buy V8 110s could keep up with it. The brakes were less impressive however...

Trains and Rovers... What could be more fun?

Edited by exet1095
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Down_Under said:

Very nice! What did you use to motorise the Land Rover with?

It's an Oxford Long Wheelbase Landrover. I used  a German RC VW bus for power. It needed a lot of modifications  as the wheelbase was wrong, wheel size was changed and components on the circuit board had to be moved to fit under the bonnet. New LED's for front and rear lights were fitted to the Oxford body with Fibre Optics for the lights. A lot of alterations were made to the Oxford shell to get everthing to fit. I also had to fit drop ends to a Lowfit.

• Craftsmanship/clever 2

7 hours ago, exet1095 said:

I’m glad this thread has come back to life. The original picture is definitely SIIA 109 FFRs. 

I have been playing in Army Rovers since I passed my test with the SSM in 1986, including owning my own S3 Lightweight for ten years (having children meant I couldn’t keep it on any longer...).

On the contrary, I would have thought that a vehicle whose interior is designed to be cleaned out with a hose and a yard broom, and whose lack of refinement easily drowns out any irritating noises would be ideal for those with small children ;). 

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

13 hours ago, Yardman said:

It's an Oxford Long Wheelbase Landrover. I used  a German RC VW bus for power. It needed a lot of modifications  as the wheelbase was wrong, wheel size was changed and components on the circuit board had to be moved to fit under the bonnet. New LED's for front and rear lights were fitted to the Oxford body with Fibre Optics for the lights. A lot of alterations were made to the Oxford shell to get everthing to fit. I also had to fit drop ends to a Lowfit.

Im seriously impressed. Thanks for sharing that.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

7 hours ago, PatB said:

On the contrary, I would have thought that a vehicle whose interior is designed to be cleaned out with a hose and a yard broom, and whose lack of refinement easily drowns out any irritating noises would be ideal for those with small children ;). 

Aaah ! I suspect he means it was best to get rid of the Rover for the kids sake before landroveritis set in not because it was unpractical  I got involved with one(1953/80) as a school kid didn't know how infectious  landroveritis was back then, so it's still here now fourty years on!

Edited by Graham456
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Down_Under said:

Does any one want to hazard a guess at the wagos origin?

2 planks, with removable ends

wooden underframe

spoked wheels

1907 RCH type brake gear 

Some sort of pregrouping carriage  wagon?

The wagon is most likely North Eastern or North British in origin and looks like a drop side rather than drop end vehicle. It would make loading a Landrover interesting, but knowing the ingenuity of NCB staff not impossible. The question is why is it on the wagon at all? All parts of the Harton System where accessible by road and it certainly would not have come via BR on a wagon like that.

2 hours ago, Yardman said:

The wagon is most likely North Eastern or North British in origin and looks like a drop side rather than drop end vehicle. It would make loading a Landrover interesting, but knowing the ingenuity of NCB staff not impossible. The question is why is it on the wagon at all? All parts of the Harton System where accessible by road and it certainly would not have come via BR on a wagon like that.

Followed by, why would you need a safari roof and sun visor in North East England?! :P:P

Edited by Down_Under
Spell/autocorrect
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

The last military landrover I was in, was The station commanders spare which we civilian contractors had been loaned,  at RAF Mount Pleasant, Falkland Islands 1992 . Funnily enough his two landrovers were V8 petrol 110 , Just about everyone else's were 2.5N/A diesel. 

My landy is 110 (not defender)  1984, but now with disco 200tdi and transfer box,  galvanised chassis and bulkhead,  galvanised frame doors,  Stainless exhaust,  and lots of extra sound proofing.  It's quiet happy and peaceful cruising at 70mph and in normal use gets 32mpg.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, TheQ said:

…………………at RAF Mount Pleasant, Falkland Islands 1992 …………………

I was down there in 92 as well. Apologies for thread drift but here’s some Falkland Islands Landie action:

CDAB696A-80E3-4249-BC27-4D384413D900.jpeg.b533197c2f5c1401f626ecc373f9f1b6.jpeg

A8752108-BF58-4498-85E9-D66AABB70B10.jpeg.b5c7ddc3c55001855b7c71373864a4ae.jpeg

Never let the Royal Navy drive!

Our Matelot (RN Regulator) insisted on driving and was obviously yearning some waterborne action. Needless to say we made him walk to the nearest farm to find a friendly local to come and rescue us before the tide came in whilst us RAF types stayed to record the result of his boating expedition for posterity! :D

DCC67108-4F6F-4E60-98B4-0F3F8A752799.jpeg.55af4693a148c5b4af6732d529fc8d65.jpeg

• Like 4