Bachmann LMS D2159, D2168 & D2170 'Porthole' review

coachmann

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if the springing had been adjusted to allow 100mph....

IIRC they were stencilled for 90mph but I think this was forgotten about sometimes especially on late-running trains near closing time. I once clocked one at 106mph over a mile between Betley Road and Basford Hall.

Picture of Derby-built TK number 2300 to diagram D2119 showing torpedo roof vents and later type window ventilators. Some more excellent views on web page link on watermark.

Looks very similar to Bachmann model 39-450 if circular lavatory windows filled on corridor side and reshaped to rectangular on compartment side. The round window is slightly larger in diameter than the width of a rectangular lavatory window.  There is a box cover on doors of 2300 that is not on the model.

attachicon.gif2300_b18199.jpg

Some more information here...

http://www.cs.vintagecarriagestrust.org/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=660

Hi 6959, what a superb picture of the TK showing the welded bogies, trusses and frames. The box cover on the door is a vent, many LMS coaches had these removed over time and if one looks at a non corridor coach you can sometimes see odd doors without vents and later no vents at all, makes for nice detail differences between coaches in a train. This seemed to happen from about mid fifties, can Coachmann confirm?

The photo also shows the torpedo vents nicely I tried three times to make a good version of this 'low vent' and finally got good close-up pictures from an LMS coach being restored and now produce these:-

attachicon.gifCV01 LMS torpedo vent.jpg

I have a number of coaches awaiting fitting of vents both torpedo and ridge dome as well as LMS buffers though I've still to do the shell vents I need for most of the Hornby Stanier coaches, where Hornby got the shape for those is anybodies guess.

Thanks for posting the photo.

Dave Franks.

Link to drawing of torpedo ventilator at NRM (proably other variations)...

http://www.nrm.org.uk/ResearchAndArchive/drawing?group=Derby%20Carriage%20%26%20Wagon&objid=4088

I have revisited the Bachmann 'Porthole' coaches and whatever I may have said before, the corridor brake third is a fine model of the prototype with its deeper sides overlapping the solebars right down to the stepboards. Reason for the recent purchase is the need for 'conversion coaches'. I have adopted Kadee couplings, but I am in no mind to fit these to Bachmann bogies that I use on my handbuilt brass coaches and so these RTR coaches plus some ex. GWR corridor brake thirds provide the sensible answer....

post-6680-0-43503500-1508413234_thumb.jpg

As usual, I fitted 20thou plastikard spacers between the bogies and the body to raise the coaches' height to that of other coaches from Hornby and as well as my own build. I also masked and resprayed the bottom half in a more accurate shade of carmine red and re-lined it....

post-6680-0-17170200-1508412815_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Whilst idly browsing the forum this morning and seeing Coach's image above, I thought I't finally scratch an itch I've had for a long while. Therefore, can someone please tell me the function of the grey waist strips on the brake double doors? I see it present on much post-nationalisation LMS origin stock, but cannot fathom it's function, as it is not seen on stock from other regions. 

P.S - I've always liked the look of the Porthole stock, but as a pre-nationalisation modeller I've no excuse to have some!

CoY

Whilst idly browsing the forum this morning and seeing Coach's image above, I thought I't finally scratch an itch I've had for a long while. Therefore, can someone please tell me the function of the grey waist strips on the brake double doors? I see it present on much post-nationalisation LMS origin stock, but cannot fathom it's function, as it is not seen on stock from other regions. 

They go back to Midland Railway days and the Midland may even have fitted a slate panel initially. The shade of grey varied when they were painted on, but it seemed a mid grey was the most common. They were for chalking on or using some other marker. The 'slate' panels, particularly those on LMS and constituent parcels vans, were scribbled on when carrying newspapers.

• RMweb Gold

P.S - I've always liked the look of the Porthole stock, but as a pre-nationalisation modeller I've no excuse to have some!

CoY

I’ve seen similar below the baggage doors on mk1 BSKs, though was this used for chalking ?

Additionally GUVs has a chalk board on the side, which was used right into the late 1980’s.

http://www.steve-banks.org/images/historical/parcels/br_guv_s86796_600_341_72.jpg

Edited by adb968008

I’ve seen similar below the baggage doors on mk1 BSKs, though was this used for chalking ?

Additionally GUVs has a chalk board on the side, which was used right into the late 1980’s.

http://www.steve-banks.org/images/historical/parcels/br_guv_s86796_600_341_72.jpg

Yes.

Southern Utility Vans also had the chalk boards. Although if you look at photographs of them in use, they are often painted over with body colour and have chalk markings everywhere except the chalk boards. Usually with half a dozen destinations chalked on the side.

Jason

• 3 months later...