Steepest adhesion line in USA

mp55aec

We all know of the Lickey incline in the UK and several others in Europe Gotthard line etc but after watching many US DVDs like Donner Pass, Cascades etc im intrigued as to what is the steepest  adhesion grade on a main line USA railroad?

It has a Wikipedia page. Average gradient is 1 23.5 and the steepest bit is 1 in 20.4

Interesting to read, I've been trying to work out what the steepest grade I can get away with is, gradients don't selectively compress in the same way as distance and Saluda is steeper than I thought I could get away with for an industrial spur!

• RMweb Premium

I'm not certain but I think the Monarch Branch of the Denver and Rio Grande was 1 in 14.  It was certainly very very steep and was originally narrow gauge but later converted to standard.  It had two switchbacks that allowed it to acces a limestone quarry.

Jamie

As far as I can find, the Monarch branch maxed out at 4.5% for a short distance. Saluda went to 4.9% for a few hundred feet but averaged 4.2% or there abouts, and it had quite a nasty summit to crest before going down to boot where it was quite easy to split a train. Glad I saw it in action in its twilight years, and almost mind boggling watching them go over the crest under quite heavy throttle then notching back slowly as they headed downgrade. No doubt some of the logging branches would laugh at Saludas mere 4.9%, but they weren't exactly main lines.

For many years, the Madison incline in Madison, Indiana was considered the steepest main line grade in the U.S with a grade of 5.89%. Currently not in service or operated by the Madison Railroad (CMPA), the track is still in place. Interesting reading about it here: http://www.nps.gov/history/nr/travel/madison/Madison_Railroad_Incline_Cut.html. When the line was operated by the PRR/PC, they used SD-9's on the grade. Other information about this grade can be found on the Internet.

Saluda.  Peaked at a bit over 5% for a few hundred feet.  I've seen the grade as it comes thru Saluda, NC and it is incredibly steep.  The Southern (and later Norfolk Southern) ran main line thru trains; very different traffic from the Madison grade.  The thing that kept Saluda open as long as it stayed open was the coal traffic for Duke Power's Belmont power plant; the alternate route was 150 miles longer.  But at the end the NS decided that the longer route was simply less expensive and much less of an operating nightmare than the Saluda operation.  SD60s that were rated at 3500 trailing tons on other parts of the NS system were good for only 700 tons going up Saluda. 

A training video produced by the Southern Rwy 

The Cass railroad used geared locos (Shay/Heisler/Climax) that probabply had a top speed of 5-10 mph. The current 3.8 mile excursion to Whittaker is a 2 hour round trip and the 11.0 mile excursion to the summit is a 5 hour round trip.

Adrian

There ws a comment in the latest Trains that a short line is trying to reopen part of the Saluda grade.  I'll try and find the reference.

Jamie

Norfolk Southern has sold about 90 miles of track out of Asheville NC to WATCO's Blue Ridge Railroad.  It may include part of the line to Saluda; my geography out there is not great. 

Norfolk Southern has sold about 90 miles of track out of Asheville NC to WATCO's Blue Ridge Railroad.  It may include part of the line to Saluda; my geography out there is not great. 

Is that where the line winds around Brown’s Mountain? The source of many “UFO” reports! Or it was when I lived in Greensboro....

Best, Pete.

I went to Saluda in 1994. Didn't see any trains but the transition from the tracks through the town onto the grade was stupendous. It just disappeared down the side of the hill.

The safety track was also visited, again most impressive. Have a few pieces of coal from previous runaways. Mean to crush and sieve it for some HO coal cars.

Archived