'Angloshire...' OO in the USA

Thom

they blend nicely into the scene as if they were always meant to be there.

Out of the 32 how many did you use?

Thanx, Richard. I used a total of 19. They are not glued down yet so I can move some if need be.

• 2 weeks later...

Finances have pretty much kept me from doing much recently, but Mary Poppins finally flew in yesterday. I started with a figure from the Preiser 12194 set, added a coat made of masking tape, added shoes to make her taller and because she needed the iconic feet below her. I added the carpet bag from 28015 and an umbrella from 12139, and obviously painted her as accurately as possible. Not perfect but I think she looks the part. :)

As for Bert the Chimney Sweep, I still have not found a suitable figure to work with. Not convinced the Preiser chimney sweep can work, even after removing the ladder.

Should have another TV figure shortly.

Excellent layout.  Excellent modelling. Very well planned.

And Mary is just Poppin in for a drink (or two)   :imsohappy:

PJ

• 2 weeks later...

This past weekend I did the bi-annual Allentown Train Meet which is only a  few blocks from my house, but people come from all over the region because of what can be found here. The weather was pretty bad but the attendance was still pretty good. This is not a typical train show since it is almost all selling with a few layouts thrown in for good measure. There is never anything British to be found here. The first two pictures are of my layout. I was here last year but this year had a much better location.

The next three pictures are of a highly detailed HO circus layout that is here once a year as well. This guy built it so it all folds up into the trailer you see and then he pulls that trailer ouside into a regular trailer to transport it. The pictures do not do it justice.

The last three show the selling area. As much antique toy trains as second hand and new ones.

post-10569-0-62998000-1424819712_thumb.jpg

post-10569-0-77806200-1424819736_thumb.jpg

post-10569-0-28691300-1424819759_thumb.jpg

post-10569-0-05394800-1424819776_thumb.jpg

post-10569-0-94761800-1424819798_thumb.jpg

post-10569-0-31695900-1424819870_thumb.jpg

post-10569-0-60168500-1424819897_thumb.jpg

post-10569-0-22142300-1424819915_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

These are just some pictures taken on Sunday with some views I cannot get when it is set up at home. While I did have a better location this year, I also did not have the space to put up rope barriers so I had to keep the plexiglas in front of the Tovis Valley module. This is the first show where I got to run different trains throught the day, especially Thomas when some little kid would ask. That was always a pleasure to do.

Once again, at this show, I was able to draw people into looking at the layout by calling their attention to cameos. I couldn't even count how many time people were just walking by but I was able to get them to walk around and see the whole layout. Proof that it is the scenics that attracts so many people who have no interest in railways, in spite of being at a train show.

The Midland Pullman crossing the Tovis Valley Viaduct.

An ex-GWR railcar, W23W, coming out from the fiddle yard.

The town of Great Waterton.

The module with the track going to the fiddle yard.

46245 'City of London' crossing Tovis Valley from an angle I could never get at home.

Thomas coming  off the viaduct heading towrds Hogsmeade Station.

30051 M7 class on a pull push service with an additional traling coach.

post-10569-0-18671900-1424820690_thumb.jpg

post-10569-0-85781400-1424820711_thumb.jpg

post-10569-0-64231600-1424820731_thumb.jpg

post-10569-0-89042700-1424820744_thumb.jpg

post-10569-0-86665400-1424820763_thumb.jpg

post-10569-0-17340900-1424820785_thumb.jpg

post-10569-0-83159700-1424820798_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Must say you're brave. As a rule I've found Americans aren't interested in "foreign" trains and certainly don't understand or appreciate the British railway scene. Anybody should consider your layout interesting but I wonder if you get much of a crowd?

Brian.

What a splendid layout!

I too am an American playing with the forbidden "foreign trains". Sadly most Americans simply don't care about trains in other parts of the world. A layout set in the Great White North (aka Canada) is exotic by most standards. 

Do you know what shows you will be exhibiting Angloshire at in the coming year or two? More to the point; will you be exhibiting in Central Ohio? Haha

P.S.--have you found any American suppliers of British 00 besides Models11 (which only sells Bachmann)? The postage, as I'm sure you'll agree, is outrageous. The first time I placed a moderate-sized order I nearly choked when I was informed there would be a (not insignificant) duty.

• Like 3

What a splendid layout!

I too am an American playing with the forbidden "foreign trains". Sadly most Americans simply don't care about trains in other parts of the world. A layout set in the Great White North (aka Canada) is exotic by most standards. 

Do you know what shows you will be exhibiting Angloshire at in the coming year or two? More to the point; will you be exhibiting in Central Ohio? Haha

P.S.--have you found any American suppliers of British 00 besides Models11 (which only sells Bachmann)? The postage, as I'm sure you'll agree, is outrageous. The first time I placed a moderate-sized order I nearly choked when I was informed there would be a (not insignificant) duty.

just order direct from the UK. i find with the removal of VAT more than compensates for the marginal increase in postage.

Glad you had a good show Thom, only sorry duty kept me away.

Did you run the garrett? did it run okay?

Richard

• Like 3

What a splendid layout!

Agree with your comments on the postal services. Be lucky you dabble in OO as O can be really outrageous! Incoming purchases shouldn't be subject to duty. I have never paid any except when my wife went shopping at Selfridges!

Brian.

This is the second year at this show and the reception was great just like last year. Actually probably better this year. The organizers were very keen on having me last year when I told them it was British and they even made room for me at the last minute. While most modelers in the States are not interested in international trains, I have never felt any negativity about it from anyone.

Whenever there were groups of people passing by I was always able to draw people in with the cameos and had crowds around it quite a bit. I was actually surprised that there were even some who knew about Dad's Army! I even got to talk with some people who actually model some British trains. So, while there were not hoards of people interested in British Railways per se, there were lots who enjoyed it and learned about it, as well. Definately more people crowded around my layout then the very detailed circus layout or the other HO layout next to mine. 

I don't have any current plans for any future shows. I do want to do the major one in Timonium, MD, (near Baltimore,) but am waiting for them to give me more info and dates. Of course I will be doing the 2016 Great British Train Show in Brampton, near Toronto, but beyond that one, anything more then a couple hours away is cost prohibitive for me since I have to rent a truck every time.

Thank you for the kind comments about the layout. As for postage, I don't find the postage bad when buying from the UK. There are some retailers who charge very high shipping prices, but Hatton's is not one of them. Everything I get from Hatton's comes with a comercial invoice enclosed with no prices listed and they always ship in small boxes so even if you are spending £1000 it will be in several packages so paying duty is never an issue.

Richard, I did not run the Garrett. Until I get a coal train to run behind it I decided to just leave it at home. I really didn't have much time to switch trains, anyway, during the day. You definately would have enjoyed the show, though.

Here is a local paper's coverage of the show.

http://photos.lehighvalleylive.com/4424/gallery/allentown_fairgrounds_hosts_sp/index.html#/0

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

After bringing Angloshire home from the show the other week I finally got around to setting it up, but I so dreaded having to crawl under it every time to get into the fiddle yard that I decided to build a lift bridge so I can simply walk into the center. I knew it would be tricky since I would be crossing two sections that are not solidly connected like most are, so getting the track to line up might be a problem. Fortunately it worked out great and the track lines up perfectly.

The first two pics show the module circled that I will be replacing while it  is set up at home and what that module looks like when it's in place. I will scenic this lift gate module in time, but it will be rather simple since there has to  be room for the hinges and for it actually opening.

The left side bolts to the other module as does the support for  the lifting section on the other side. The whole layout is bolted together rather tightly so the scenic modules on both sides line up perfectly and really can't move  out of line.

While the rest of the baseboards are framed out with 1x3s with 1/2" styrofoam on top, I needed to use 1/2" plywood here for it to be rigid. I used 1x3s for supports. At this point the lift section leans against the scenics on the other module, that will be corrected so it cannot stay upright. That way  it will be impossible to accidently leave it open.

The first train, a DMU, crossing the module.

The track overlaps the bridge itself so it rests on the viaduct when lining up with the viaduct track. I have brass wipers extending from each track rail on the viaduct that push up on the track on the lift bridge when it is in place and that keeps the electrical current running on to the track on the lift bridge from the right side. On the other side of the lift bridge I used fishplates with wires connecting the track to the track on the short 4" section with then has connecting track to  the main layout.

The final pic shows the 'show module', as I now call it, sitting on the floor next to the new lift bridge module. I will keep  the show module stored back out of the way and just use it at shows. Crawling under the layout at shows I can deal with. lol 

post-10569-0-87696200-1426027167_thumb.jpg

post-10569-0-65784800-1426027179_thumb.jpg

post-10569-0-41210700-1426027208_thumb.jpg

post-10569-0-99251000-1426027220_thumb.jpg

post-10569-0-72853300-1426027241_thumb.jpg

post-10569-0-69084700-1426027260_thumb.jpg

post-10569-0-29051900-1426027274_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

This past weekend I went to a train show in Edison, NJ, and got to meet up with my ex-pat friend, Tom Burns. North American shows are considerably different from UK shows and there were only a few very large club layouts. This first club layout is based on old Reading Railroad location in South Eastern PA. I grew up near Reading and so this is a  favorite of mine. The last picture shows a current view  of an intersection near Reading. I grew up in Pottstown and now live in Allentown so I know that intersection.

post-10569-0-42170300-1427766614_thumb.jpg

post-10569-0-64808600-1427766628_thumb.jpg

post-10569-0-39706100-1427766641_thumb.jpg

post-10569-0-22972700-1427766654_thumb.jpg

post-10569-0-19219100-1427766668_thumb.jpg

post-10569-0-35757700-1427766684_thumb.jpg

post-10569-0-35386100-1427766698_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

The Bachmann stand had all  their North American Thomas range on display as well as things from their other lines. Cool crane on the far left of the first picture. Tom and I got to talk to the person who is in charge of the whole Thomas range and was very knowledgeable to talk with. Doug, if you get to read this, it was great talking with you. By the way, they were handing out free catalogs. :)

post-10569-0-05554800-1427767116_thumb.jpg

post-10569-0-20152700-1427767127_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Leaving the show I parked my car next to this 1:1 scale model hopper car outside. The weathering and graffiti were very realistic looking. I wish I could do that well on my models.

At the show I bought some model trees for a great price and also a brand new HO Proto 1000 RDC-3 railcar in Reading Company livery. That is the only train I remember riding in my late teens, although in SEPTA livery by that time. I had been wanting one for some time and at $45 it was too good a price to pass up. 

post-10569-0-81604300-1427767487_thumb.jpg

post-10569-0-61384500-1427767502_thumb.jpg

post-10569-0-48842700-1427767516_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Wot, no "Heartbeat"? Goathland is best known in the UK as the home of this interminable mid-60s setting comedy drama. Considering you already have the "Aidensfield Arms" and the garage, you should have the leggy Tricia outside the pub at least, and Greengrass' lorry!

Also, a series I've never seen in the US but still very popular here, Del Boy's yellow Reliant...

What about The Stig?

Edited by rockershovel

Wot, no "Heartbeat"? Goathland is best known in the UK as the home of this interminable mid-60s setting comedy drama. Considering you already have the "Aidensfield Arms" and the garage, you should have the leggy Tricia outside the pub at least, and Greengrass' lorry!

Del Boy's yellow Reliant...

What about The Stig?

Del Boy's yellow Reliant?

To answer your suggestions, first off I have a very limited space for cameos. Second, I went with shows and places that I felt were the most recognisable, or that I persnally liked since it is my layout, and/or that people or things were already made comercially. From Heartbeat I have Aidnsfield Arms and the garage and that is plenty for that show. I do have Del Boy's Reliant next to the garage. 

Thomas and Harry Potter are main themes on my layout but besides them any others are very limited, as one can tell.

• 3 weeks later...

It was great chatting with you, as well, William. I really felt like I was visiting friends this time up and had a great time in Brampton. By the way, my car died Saturday evening on my way into Toronto. (Timing belt went.) I had to stay in Toronto til Monday morning and then towed my car back to Allentown. 

Sorry to hear about that.  Cars sometimes have the tendency to cost you when your not expecting it.  I once broke my clutch cable in Toronto once, it was a Sunday many moons ago, no stores open.  My Dad came and drove it home by forcing the gears.  He was good at it.  I could sometime shift without using the clutch.   Glad you got home OK.

William