Kernow Beattie Well Tank Announcement

Andy Y

Mine arrived in Western Australia yesterday, run in as recommended on a rolling road. A delightful little loco. absolutely silent, and performs without a stutter over dead-frog point complexes.

I don't remember seeing many around Notts. in the 1950-60s, but I did catch up with them at the WSR autumn gala in 2005, and found them totally enchanting! The only slight criticism is the lack of a shed code. but when that's all you can find, well.........!

Is it worth getting 30586 and redoing it in BR???

Thanks to Kernow and DJ Models,

Cheers from OZ,

Peter C.

• Like 2

Got my sticky mitts on mine yesterday ran it  for a bit ,it then started stuttering and hesitating ,now on its way back to Cornwall...hopefully Dave can work his magic on it as they don't have any more in the BR Livery I ordered ..... :locomotive:

• RMweb Gold

The only slight criticism is the lack of a shed code. but when that's all you can find, well.........!

Hi

Just to pick up on the issue of the shed code plate which has also been mentioned before in this thread, I can confirm that she ran during the late crest period both with and without a shed plate. I have seen a couple of pictures, on which the I believe the livery option was based upon by Kernow, of her without the shed code plate but they can not post here as the copyright status of the pictures is unknown.

I had to return my first one. Received it the Saturday before last, found all was not well, and rang Kernow on the following Monday morning. They were very helpful and apologetic, I sent the loco back to them as requested with a covering letter listing all the faults, and had a replacement loco sent to me pretty well by return of post, with e-mails telling me what was going on.  (Mine was the 30586 one).

The replacement was as it should be.

Ran it in and then oiled it as per the instructions. There was perhaps a little hesitation each turn of the driving wheels but that seems to have gone now. Loco has run for about 3 hours, (half in each direction). Pulls 2 Maunsell coaches  as per photos of the original, or some china clay wagons. For such a light and delicate loco it runs very well.

I've now got another BWT as good as the  one I have (30587) from the first release.

Very good customer service from Kernow.  ,

• Like 1

I've noticed the brake pull rods on mine are low. Can they be taken off and raised easily?

This was a problem with the first batch and I pointed this out when the new batch were in production.

Yes, they can be raised, I did it to mine.

Mike

Hi Guys,

I've got a question about 30587 and lamp irons and the late lion

I can find lots of in-service photos of 587 with smokebox door lamp irons, I can find some with smokebox front lamp irons, but I can't find any with no lamp irons. When I chatted with Kernow on Sat at Ally Pally they said the no-lamp-irons-no-shedcode version of 587 was the one they had modeled and there was a photo.

I can't find any.

Anyone know where there might be "that photo"?

(nothing on ColourRail)

Thanks

Luke

Hi Guys,

I've got a question about 30587 and lamp irons and the late lion

I can find lots of in-service photos of 587 with smokebox door lamp irons, I can find some with smokebox front lamp irons, but I can't find any with no lamp irons. When I chatted with Kernow on Sat at Ally Pally they said the no-lamp-irons-no-shedcode version of 587 was the one they had modeled and there was a photo.

I can't find any.

Anyone know where there might be "that photo"?

(nothing on ColourRail)

Thanks

Luke

Hi Luke,

Specifically 30587 with the late emblem.

The Bradford Barton book "Bodmin and Wadebridge"  (pub 1979) has 2 pictures of 30587 at Wenford Bridge on 26 March 1962.

It doesn't have a shedplate but does have lamp irons on the smokebox door (if you mean the ones just above the lower hinge and opposite it).

However, "locomotives of the Southern Railway" pub Jarrold, has a colour pic of 30587 hauling an LCGB brakevan tour at Dunmere Junction on 8 September 1962 where it does have a shed plate. Lamp irons on the smokebox door can just be made out.

"LSWR stockbook" by Kingfisher has a b/w pic of the same train showing door lamp irons. Same book also has a pic of the loco at Buckfastleigh in April 1978 just after it arrived from  Preston Park at Brighton where it had been stored for years - caption says in ex-BR condition. The smokebox numberplate has gone but the door has shed plate and lamp irons fitted.

So sometime between March and September 1962 the shed plate got refitted and (probably) stayed on if it was still on the loco when withdrawn for preservation. Pics of the London railtour all seem to be of 30585 or with the white disc in the way.

Now there is a pic of 30587 in the Bradford Barton book taken 19 August 1958 at Pencarrow water tank which shows a shed plate but no door lamp irons. 

Interestingly, I can't see any pics of 30585 with lamp irons, but in August 1960 it was at Eastleigh with no shed plate and on 16 August 1961 it was on the branch still without one.

If 30587 had no lamp irons on the door and no shed plate it must have been for a short time only?

Why would the lamp irons have been fitted or removed, or would the door itself have been swapped?

I've got 9 books with pics of these engines spread across the table, great fun!

<snip>

Now there is a pic of 30587 in the Bradford Barton book taken 19 August 1958 at Pencarrow water tank which shows a shed plate but no door lamp irons. 

<snip>

If 30587 had no lamp irons on the door and no shed plate it must have been for a short time only?

Why would the lamp irons have been fitted or removed, or would the door itself have been swapped?

Thanks for this. V.interesting!

I suspect you're right and there may have been some door swapping between the 3 BWT's. That would explain the door lamp irons suddenly disappearing. I also wonder about boiler exchanges... If 30585 and 30587 were prepared for rail-tours I wonder what the position was of 30586? Was it in service or was it used for spare parts?

(and I just though I'd buy a BWT and run it, but now I'm getting all technical!)

Luke

According to "the centenary of the Beattie well tank at Quainton" :by the Quainton Railway society who preserved 30585:

The 3 well tanks finished work in August 1962.  The 1367-9 panniers had already arrived but the Pencarrow water tank had to be altered to suit them.

30585 and 30586 left Cornwall and arrived at Eastleigh during the first week in September.  30587 worked a Wenford Bridge railtour (with brakevans) on 8 September then also went to Eastleigh. 

The locos were examined then all 3 steamed to Nine Elms.  30585/7 were selected for the "South Western" railtour and after that all 3 engines were withdrawn from stock in December 1962.

30586 was sent to Eastleigh from Nine Elms in August 1963 and cut up there at the end of March 1964.

30585 left Nine Elms in March 1964 and was towed to Bishops Stortford, being low-loadered to Quainton Road in May 1969..

30587, the National Collection one,  went (it appears) to Stratford along with Lord Nelson and M7 245, then 3 years later went to Preston Park with Britannia.

Fascinating stuff.

The 3 well tanks finished work in August 1962.

<snip>

30585 and 30586 left Cornwall and arrived at Eastleigh during the first week in September.  30587 worked a Wenford Bridge railtour (with brakevans) on 8 September then also went to Eastleigh. 

The locos were examined then all 3 steamed to Nine Elms.  30585/7 were selected for the "South Western" railtour and after that all 3 engines were withdrawn from stock in December 1962.

<snip>

Fascinating stuff.

The Railtour seems to have been 2nd Dec '62.

So between mid-Sept and early-Dec all 3 locos were at Eastleigh being "examined"? I'd be very surprised if there wasn't a great switch-a-roo of parts to ensure that the best 2 locos was provided for the Railtour and, in 587's case, into preservation.

All we need know is a selection of photos from Eastleigh in the autumn of '62...

Received mine about 7 days so absolutely brilliant. Can't wat for my GWR 1361 Pannier Tank. Congratulations to all involved.

Apologies for typing, should read Received mine about ago, absolutely brilliant. Can't wait for the GWR 1361 Pannier Tank. Congratulations to all involved.

• 2 weeks later...

Having spent some time working on the layout recently, I've been running my replacement BTW round, both forwards and reverse. Must have notched up 7 hours or so, so far, and runs very smoothly and silently (on dc). Great little model, a prototype I'd never expected to be available r-t-r.

So, a good model, Dave!

Had BWT running round again this morning, very smooth and quiet. The Kernow web site said that the same type of motor was going to be used in the O2 - for future reference, will this motor be used in your other future productions as well, Dave?  Does seem to run well.

Edited by railroadbill

Had BWT running round again this morning, very smooth and quiet. The Kernow web site said that the same type of motor was going to be used in the O2 - for future reference, will this motor be used in your other future productions as well, Dave? Does seem to run well.

Hi mate,

The coreless motor will be in the O2 , plus the 2 Hattons loco's, the new unannounced company, and all N and OO DJM own brand models.

Commonality of parts, and subsequent ease of spares availability plus the fact that it's a damn good motor are the reasons for this.

Cheers

Dave

Hi mate,

The cordless motor will be in the O2 , plus the 2 Hattons loco's, the new unannounced company, and all N and OO DJM own brand models.

Commonality of parts, and subsequent ease of spares availability plus the fact that it's a damn good motor are the reasons for this.

Cheers

Dave

Cordless motor - what an interesting concept! ;) ;)

I am sure it must be a typo, but amusing none the less!

Hi mate,

The coreless motor will be in the O2 , plus the 2 Hattons loco's, the new unannounced company, and all N and OO DJM own brand models.

Cheers

Dave

Excellent, thanks for info Dave, does seem to be a good motor!

Cheers

Bill 

• RMweb Gold

Hi mate,

Cheers

Dave

One question Dave on the use of a coreless motor is its compatibility with a feedback controller.I believe there have been some issues with this generally.Any thoughts ?