Kernow Beattie Well Tank Announcement

Andy Y

And here we have 1 of each of the 3 generations of Beattie Well tanks.

The green one is the latest EFE run. I have added a DCC chip (Zen decoder) and a little bit worried. She hopped around a bit as I changed the address. I had to reduce brake CV from 8 (when she would not stop) to 0 (stopped instantly) and finally 3. She will make guest appearances on my eventual projected Bluebell DCC layout.

30587 is from the original Kernow/Dapol run run with an Iron core model. She was breifly converted to sound but the experiment was a failure (sound could not escape, chip and speaker was too tight a squeeze...;) and was converted back to non DCC. She is the most powerful and fastest but slightly noisier of the 3.

30586 (square splashers), from the Kernow/DJM second batch introducing the coreless motor in Bulleid lettering early BR days. She developed a major fault (gear train would jam up after heading 2 minutes in one direction). She was stripped down completely and now works fine.

The finish on the first two runs, generally plain black, are eclipsed by the EFE one and my EFE one had none of the bits of missing bronze paint that Sams video does. 

Well1.jpg

Well2.jpg

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Yeah - but there not being a topic dedicated to the Well Tank on EFE, this is seems to be the logical place to continue discussing what is basically the same product just under a different badge ....................... and, for some unfathomable reason, now available in Adams lime green with Bulleid insignia.

That was posted on the day of the announcement replying to a post from September ISTR....

• 10 months later...

Can someone please tell me what the lump that occupies most of the footplate, and goes half way up the back of the boiler, is made from? Is it die cast, or injection-moulded plastic? What is underneath it? I'm wondering how feasible it is to lop the cab off one of these things and backdate it with a weatherboard instead of a cab. If that thing can't be got rid of then it's a bit of a non-starter.

3 minutes ago, Ruston said:

Can someone please tell me what the lump that occupies most of the footplate, and goes half way up the back of the boiler, is made from? Is it die cast, or injection-moulded plastic? What is underneath it? I'm wondering how feasible it is to lop the cab off one of these things and backdate it with a weatherboard instead of a cab. If that thing can't be got rid of then it's a bit of a non-starter.

The body, running plate etc is all plastic. Only the chassis block is diecast and that is a split chassis design.

It is quite a cow to get apart but as you want to cut one up a bit, that probably won't be an issue for you.

4 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

The body, running plate etc is all plastic. Only the chassis block is diecast and that is a split chassis design.

It is quite a cow to get apart but as you want to cut one up a bit, that probably won't be an issue for you.

Thanks. It should be easy to chop up then. Looking at some side views I guess it hides the end of the gearbox? If that's the case then there won't be much can be done about that, but if some of the plastic can be cut away and a driver figure got closer to the boiler it may at least disguise it somewhat.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

I found the one I bought to be dead easy to take a part but was dreadful to put back together again! It's still in pieces in its box several years on.

One day it'll be converted to P4, AGW do the chassis bits. 

Edited by PenrithBeacon
  • Friendly/supportive 3