Kernow Beattie Well Tank Announcement

Andy Y

Kernow Model Rail Centre Press Release - latest batch of Beattie Well Tanks delivered

We have taken delivery of a further batch of the award-winning Beattie Well Tank which includes a newly-announced version.

K2056 features number 30587 finished in BR Black livery with late crest.  This is an extra run of this model as the previous version sold out very quickly. 

K2058 features number 30585 finished in BR Black livery with early emblem.  This model has not been previously announced.

Both versions feature 6 pin DCC sockets and are also available DCC Fitted.  The price is £109.99 DCC Ready or £129.99 DCC Fitted.

All are available for immediate delivery and further information can be obtained from the dedicated page on our website

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/pg/108/Beattie_Well_Tanks

• Like 1

Mine arrived today. Simply stunning piece of kit, with a very nice array of detailing parts to fit as well.

Look forward to testing it later.

Regards,

Matt

Hi all,

mine arrived today. While the model's looks are absolutely stunning I'm not too happy with its running qualities. The model seems to struggle on a second radius oval I set up for letting her run in. It makes a grinding noise when running through the curves (especially when running forward) and feels a little sticky. It seems to be a little better when the loco is on 3rd radius curves. Does someone else experience such issues? Since I live in Germany I'd rather avoid returning the model to KMRC, so any help is really appreciated.

Apologies if this has already been discussed (and for my rather unsophisticated English as well)

Regards

Lars

Hi Lars,

Sorry to hear your having problems,

I found that the majority of the very few returned models needed their gears oiled, and a drop of oil on each connecting rod point, and then run on about half power for 10 minutes in each direction.

If you have a rolling road then that's perfect, but if not, suspend driving wheels on something placed across your track so that they are free of the rail but picking up power through the non driven wheels. This will allow you to run the loco with lubrication and it should settle down completely.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

If anyone is interested in representing the class in LSWR days, there is now a topic in the Pre-Grouping section of the site that is concentrating on the use of RTR models for representing the LSWR, one of several topics appearing to consider how RTR models might be used for earlier periods.

The topic includes the Radial, M7, Well Tank, rolling stock etc and is to be found here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/115499-using-rtr-models-to-represent-the-lswr/page-1

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Has anyone managed to successfully convert one of these to EM gauge?

I'm tempted to go EM in a layout I'm planning but I've heard how tricky it is to convert these and I don't want to lose my BWT as a result of this.

Edited by GWR8700

• RMweb Gold

I'm tempted to go EM in a layout I'm planning but I've heard how tricky it is to convert these and I don't want to lose my BWT as a result of this.

I looked at converting one to P4 when they first came out. I think it is almost a non-starter in that gauge as the splashers require removal to allow the the wider wheels. Coupled with the split axles and twin geared drive, I left well alone! I believe Ultrascale converted one for a customer; however, the cost was £100 plus if I remember rightly.

I suspect a complete chassis rebuilt would be easier, but not something I am prepared to do.

Kind regards,

Nick.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Yes :

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/82968-niles-mostly-freelance-bodging-bench-improving-oxfords-adams-radial/page-18&do=findComment&comment=2067946

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Mr chapman said:

Are there any plans (or even possible?) for another run of well tanks? 

You would have to ask Kernow MRC.  They respond quickly to emails and probably prefer those to a phone call whilst on limited staffing under present circumstances.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There is a review of the new green BWT by Sams Trains on youtube.

I've always been sceptical of his reviews but this takes the biscuit. This model was model of the year in 2011, but he totally slates it. He complains (as he often does) that it is make of cheap plastic not metal, disregarding the fact that, even to this day, detail is generally slightly finer in plastic. (indeed he seems to slate all models that don't have any major metal components in them...)

Yes we know it isn't the heavest model, but it can haul what the prototype is asked of.

He criticises the magnetic smokebox door, having previously praised the same feature on the latest Dapol GWR Mogul.

Yes it does seem that the decoration of the green sample isn't quite up to the standards of the original Dapol releases back in 2011, in terms of painted detail and tidy gluing, but still... He has a warped sence of price that seems to be stuck in the mid-2000s (anything over £100 is expensive!)

He complains about the toy-like quality of the model, but then tests in on a CARPET BASED LAYOUT... one of the biggest errors in modelling, and a sure way to wreck fine non-toy models. Watching the review of this fine piece of engineering made me really quite angry.

Yes the BWT isn't quite up to the standards of 2020, but it is still a fine model that really started the trend in retailer commissions.

Rant over

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Agree 4

17 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

Watching the review of this fine piece of engineering made me really quite angry.

Do as I do - have nothing whatsoever to do with reviews, unboxings, bloggers, influencers, social media (with the exception of RMweb), etc., etc.

Form your own opinions, and simply ignore the existence of the myriads of self-publicists who add nothing whatsoever to the quality of life, or to the (sadly diminished) standards of today's society and ethics.

John Isherwood.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

There is a review of the new green BWT by Sams Trains on youtube.

I've always been sceptical of his reviews but this takes the biscuit. This model was model of the year in 2011, but he totally slates it. He complains (as he often does) that it is make of cheap plastic not metal, disregarding the fact that, even to this day, detail is generally slightly finer in plastic. (indeed he seems to slate all models that don't have any major metal components in them...)

Yes we know it isn't the heavest model, but it can haul what the prototype is asked of.

He criticises the magnetic smokebox door, having previously praised the same feature on the latest Dapol GWR Mogul.

Yes it does seem that the decoration of the green sample isn't quite up to the standards of the original Dapol releases back in 2011, in terms of painted detail and tidy gluing, but still... He has a warped sence of price that seems to be stuck in the mid-2000s (anything over £100 is expensive!)

He complains about the toy-like quality of the model, but then tests in on a CARPET BASED LAYOUT... one of the biggest errors in modelling, and a sure way to wreck fine non-toy models. Watching the review of this fine piece of engineering made me really quite angry.

Yes the BWT isn't quite up to the standards of 2020, but it is still a fine model that really started the trend in retailer commissions.

Rant over

I watched his video on the Rails Terrier yesterday, he was quite scathing of that too.

It may be that he is over compensating for his lack of prototype knowledge but he did correctly call out the bent chassis on the Rails/Dapol Terrier which is a fault.

But as John intimates above, many people on the web who do reviews do so more for the attention than for the need to impart knowledge on the viewer.  The blurring of the relationships between some of these online channels and the retailers doesn't help as it makes me think product placement when some channels begin using certain retailers models regularly in their recordings and mention the shops many times in conversations.  Sadly when it comes to Sam I think of Hattons and it doesn't help when the two models he has recently pulled apart are not ones sold by Hattons.

Yep, I usually avoid them.

I do have a look at some of the magazine ones where they are running on a proper layout. Mostly to see their running capabilities.

There was a good one posted of the MR 0-4-4T the other day.  I couldn't find one for the BWT. But this style is more my cup of tea. Also pretty short.

• RMweb Gold

Personally when I'm considering a model to buy as a marginal 'want' I often read magazine reviews first, and then any video reviews there might be. Every video is flawed in some way, by incorrect facts, or by links to a shop/manufacturer or other tacky promotion in the middle, or by sheer ignorance, but they do generally add to my overall feel for what I might be buying.

For instance the BWT review mentioned above did give the models weight, which I don't recall being stated anywhere else. 105g by the way, which I think makes it about the lightest of any recent model I can recall, apart from the Dapol B4. That is useful to know, and it's much more likely to be an issue on layouts with poor track and/or gradients.

And in some ways I do prefer the people who have bought their own model anonymously (even if ultimately paid for by 'superchat' donations) than those who are loaned models under who knows what reciprocal arrangements, but without the editorial standards of a magazine publisher - who themselves are often accused of moderating their reviews to protect their ad revenue and/or access to future loan models.

On 03/11/2020 at 12:17, Steamport Southport said:

Look at the EFE thread.

Yeah - but there not being a topic dedicated to the Well Tank on EFE, this is seems to be the logical place to continue discussing what is basically the same product just under a different badge ....................... and, for some unfathomable reason, now available in Adams lime green with Bulleid insignia.

Just now, Wickham Green too said:

... for some unfathomable reason, now available in Adams lime green with Bulleid insignia.

Because, at one time, it was 'preserved' in that livery in the Dart Valley Railway museum - or so we are told.

John Isherwood.

• Agree 1