Where to post updates?

rapidotrains

Hi all,

We should be getting the 3D designs from the scans in a few days, so it means I should be uploading some drawings here pretty soon.

As I am newer to RMWeb than most of you, what is generally done for updates to a project like this?

My preference is to start a new thread each time I put up new drawings, but I've observed that a lot of people tend to add new material to the bottom of a really long thread.

I welcome your suggestions/feedback.

Thanks,

Jason

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jason

Great to hear of progress!

Posting in a single thread has the advantage of everything in one place - seems to be the usual form

Kind regards

Phil Bullock

I'd have thought carrying on with the current APT-E thread would be the best way and maybe include links in the first post to each update within the page? (ie, the page it's on) I think this allows people to keep up to date with the progress easier as that way, they can follow one thread for their information.

Just my thoughts anyway :)

Jason

I accept you want to 'pump up the volume' at every available opportunity, but I've lost count of the number of threads on here relating to this particular model. It's all rather confusing, and I'm not sure Andy Y would give another manufacturer so much leeway.

My preference would be to keep to the The Official Rapido APT-E thread, which seems to be the most relevant thread relating to the actual details of the model.

We should be getting the 3D designs from the scans in a few days, so it means I should be uploading some drawings here pretty soon.

As I am newer to RMWeb than most of you, what is generally done for updates to a project like this?

My preference is to start a new thread each time I put up new drawings, but I've observed that a lot of people tend to add new material to the bottom of a really long thread.

I think it's swings and roundabouts and either approach works.

It makes sense as suggested here to add new material to a specific thread, which 'keeps it all together in one place' and reduces the proliferation of threads on one topic.

It also makes sense (if the topic name is suitably named*) to start a new thread so infrequent visitors don't have to trawl through dozens of pages of older posts, though this will result in multiple threads from different start times jumbled together.

* Such a thread title would have to include all the particulars: Rapido APT-E July 2014 CAD updates etc.

Either approach works for me.

Jason

I accept you want to 'pump up the volume' at every available opportunity, but I've lost count of the number of threads on here relating to this particular model. It's all rather confusing, and I'm not sure Andy Y would give another manufacturer so much leeway.

My preference would be to keep to the The Official Rapido APT-E thread, which seems to be the most relevant thread relating to the actual details of the model.

It's not about "pumping up the volume" per se. Rather, it seems that RMWeb works differently from all the other forums I'm part of. Hence this thread asking what people would prefer here.

On all the other forums I participate in, threads are allowed to die within a few days and new information starts a new thread. 

It seems that here it would be preferred to keep everything in one thread.  

The trouble I see happening is that the main thread gets filled with stuff not relevant to the design process.  

I think I will probably follow Mike's suggestion and start an APT-E progress thread when the next drawings are ready.  Maybe Andy can step in to the progress thread and direct the "I just ordered mine!" or the "I hate the #$%@& APT-E! Why aren't you making a Class 71??!?!?" comments to the general thread.

(I've had a fair number of those APT-E vs. Class 71 emails by the way... I'm not kidding!)

Thanks,

Jason

The trouble I see happening is that the main thread gets filled with stuff not relevant to the design process.

That's certainly true, and Mike's suggestion is a good one, but on RMweb, history shows the chances of posters keeping on topic are zero, and the more threads there are on a particular model, as in this particular case, the greater the scattergun anarchy. I doubt Andy or the Mods would have the resources to be to move off-topic stuff accordingly.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I welcome your suggestions/feedback.

Thanks,

Jason

You already have an area for all things Rapido here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/248-rapido-trains/ so what you probably need to do is pass whatever you want to show to Andy who will create a post and 'Sticky' it and importantly lock it so people can reference it but not post directly about it then you can have the discussion in another thread. It saves things getting lost.

An example is the recent Modular threads have now evolved where were at a stage where we needed an area and the standards needed 'stickied' this has been done here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/252-rmweb-modular-project/ as you can see the standards are at the top of the page pinned and locked and discussions below.

I'm sure Andy will be able to sort something out for you.

P.S if you want to make a UK Module and bring it over sometime you'll be very welcome.

Steve

• RMweb Premium

Jason:

RMWeb is a little fussier than most and we often see short threads where the second post is "We already have a thread on this topic at xxx"

My preference would be one thread until the model appears.

• 2 months later...

dumb question, but how do you start a new thread on this site?

i want to get one going about some potential rtr releases but i'm fairly new here and don't know how.

thanks. 

Hi if its regarding Rapido then look under the FORUM BLOGS MEMBERS etc... Header at the top of the page there should be little writing like

RMweb thenTrade & Products ZoneProducts & Trade areaRapido Trains  click on the Rapido trains one (or just click the one <----) this will take you to another screen on the right hand side you will see a START NEW TOPIC Button.

If you want to post it somewhere else I suggest Clicking the big RMweb graphic in the top left hand corner this will take you to the front page where you can find loads of sub areas of the forum and pick one from there then same thing click one and you should find the START NEW TOPIC button to the right hand side.

Cheers

Archived