'Linden Ford' A Second Hand Inglenook Layout...

gazmanjack

Well, only five more sleeps before exhibiting Linden Ford...

I have been adding a few more little details here and there on the layout, notably some guttering and down pipe on the goods shed, The goods shed assistant's bike, fire buckets on the station building and a barrow of coal next to the steel drum, where the goods shed workers (storeman ?) like to strike up a fire and burn off some excess packaging, crates and pallets. All the vehicles on the layout have been drilled, wire araldited into the base, then the wire araldited into a hole in the baseboard. Hopefully this will stop them coming adrift.

post-14327-0-82846800-1415013847_thumb.jpg

^ The guttering is a length of 2mm square angle (Evergreen Styrene) with the ends capped off. the down pipe is another piece of ES 1mm dia. rod, suitably bent to shape. Both were painted, then attached and followed by a little 'rusty' weathering. The push bike...hmmm, what a fidly job to paint !

post-14327-0-47361400-1415013883_thumb.jpg

^ The buckets are from Dart Castings, I think. I have had these for some time now and they needed a home...

post-14327-0-23123800-1415013904_thumb.jpg

^ The barrow, again unsure of where it came from or from which manufacturer, but I put it together, gave it a lick of paint and added some real coal. The drum is a piece of styrene tube with the top edge filed down to form a thin lip. it was packed with a few bits of scrap then a little coal dust was added. Weathering powders (black and grey) were dusted around where the drum sits, as a fair bit of ash and cinders never quite stayed in the drum...

Still a few odd jobs to do before packing it in the car on early Saturday morning, like making sure I have my check list ticked off before I turn the car key... :scratchhead:

Cheers, Gary.

Well, only five more sleeps before exhibiting Linden Ford...

I have been adding a few more little details here and there on the layout, notably some guttering and down pipe on the goods shed, The goods shed assistant's bike, fire buckets on the station building and a barrow of coal next to the steel drum, where the goods shed workers (storeman ?) like to strike up a fire and burn off some excess packaging, crates and pallets. All the vehicles on the layout have been drilled, wire araldited into the base, then the wire araldited into a hole in the baseboard. Hopefully this will stop them coming adrift.

attachicon.gifDSCN3845x.jpg

^ The guttering is a length of 2mm square angle (Evergreen Styrene) with the ends capped off. the down pipe is another piece of ES 1mm dia. rod, suitably bent to shape. Both were painted, then attached and followed by a little 'rusty' weathering. The push bike...hmmm, what a fidly job to paint !

attachicon.gifDSCN3846x.jpg

^ The buckets are from Dart Castings, I think. I have had these for some time now and they needed a home...

attachicon.gifDSCN3847x.jpg

^ The barrow, again unsure of where it came from or from which manufacturer, but I put it together, gave it a lick of paint and added some real coal. The drum is a piece of styrene tube with the top edge filed down to form a thin lip. it was packed with a few bits of scrap then a little coal dust was added. Weathering powders (black and grey) were dusted around where the drum sits, as a fair bit of ash and cinders never quite stayed in the drum...

Still a few odd jobs to do before packing it in the car on early Saturday morning, like making sure I have my check list ticked off before I turn the car key... :scratchhead:

Cheers, Gary.

Well, looks like my camera will be busy Sunday!

I look forward to seeing it in the flesh-all signs seem to point to getting there on the 9th

Well, the exhibition is done. It was two busy days of operating the layout and answering many questions asked by the many visitors. A big thankyou goes out to St Luke's Railway Modellers for hosting such a great exhibition. Well done to the group (exhibition co-ordinators and such) who organised this. Being their 28th exhibtion, I can see their exhibition lasting another 28 years.

Thankyou to all involved. :thankyou:

Some very nice layouts graced the exhibition and some, including myself were first time exhibitors ! One aspect of the exhibition was that it was about model railways and not the trade stands. The only trade stand there was serving Devonshire Teas !   :good: I can tell you that the coffee and scones (served with strawberry jam and fresh cream) was delightful !

It was great to see the exhibition was aimed at both the adults, but more importantly, the children. I had my 9 year old son Jack operating Linden Ford, when he wasn't being poached by another exhibitor Chris, helping him operate his lovely layout, 1/2 Pint Creek. I allowed the public and members of other groups displaying layouts to operate Linden Ford. Some of the younger generation didn't know the principles behind Inglenook layouts, so after a little tuition, I let them rip on Linden Ford. One young chap enjoyed shunting and arranging a train which took him a good half hour !

During the two days, I did managed to get around and have a look at other layouts, but then it was back to business, answering questions about Linden Ford and how I done it !

Cheers, Gary.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a couple of photos Gormo took of the layout during the exhibition. I say it pays to have a decent camera or a good mate with a decent camera...!

post-14327-0-19894800-1416824498.jpg

post-14327-0-10453100-1416824546.jpg

post-14327-0-98686700-1416824631.jpg

post-14327-0-70682300-1416824659.jpg

I would like to thank Gormo for allowing me to reproduce these images from another forum. Gormo has a good eye for detail !

:imsohappy: Thanks Gormo ! :imsohappy:

Cheers, Gary.

• 2 months later...

G'day Corbs,

Yes it has been a little quiet in the sleepy hollow of Linden Ford. Not a great deal has happened since my last post, time has not been of the essence lately. I do need to give it a little tidy up as I have been invited to another exhibition...

I will say that I have just started on another shunting plank. It is still in its infancy and I'll be starting a new thread soon.

Cheers, Gary.

• 1 month later...

A little update on Linden Ford...

With another exhibition looming up, I need to do some repairs, in particular, replace a point... :O At the exhibition last year, one point gave me grief to the point that the 'great hand from above', had to be called upon. Never good during an exhibition, but it just shows that things can go wrong to all of us.

As we all know, replacing points in a scenic section isn't the easiest thing to do, but with a little (read that as 'lots of patience'), the job was successfully done with very little damage overall.

The offending point in the foreground...

post-14327-0-08937100-1428734661_thumb.jpg

Careful chiselling around the point made the job easier and less scenery to damage, or I should say replace. The red rectangle shows where the microswitch will be located.

post-14327-0-45999600-1428734680.jpg

This pic shows where I cut the old point out (green arrows) and pulled the excess rail (between green & red arrows) out from the rail joiner (blue).

post-14327-0-95382600-1428734752_thumb.jpg

Microswitch wired up in location.

post-14327-0-62696600-1428735026_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately, the new point didn't or existing rail in the siding didn't line up.... :O

post-14327-0-95214000-1428735077_thumb.jpg

So, the only answer is to pull up this length of siding. To be honest, I didn't mind doing this as the siding had an awkward curve around the cattle dock. This will be straightened out a little.

post-14327-0-29120300-1428735206_thumb.jpg

The end result after the removal of track.

post-14327-0-18207700-1428735245_thumb.jpg

New piece of track relocated and realigned, to lessen the curve around the cattle dock. The track has had a paint of acrylic grey to match in with the existing track.

post-14327-0-11934100-1428735301.jpg

The damage. One fence post ! ;)

post-14327-0-48791700-1428735338.jpg

Well, there we have it. Apologies for the miriad of picture sizes... :rolleyes: Don't know what happened there... The next update will be when the scenics have been repaired.

Cheers, Gary.

• 1 month later...

With another exhibition looming up (6-8 June), I decided to freshen up the layout. This included resurfacing the road, regrassing the green areas, adding a few roadside hedges and some grass between the rails in some of the sidings...

post-14327-0-23018300-1432703614_thumb.jpg

^ Never is a good feeling when you splash PVA around on top of existing scenery...

Although the end results is this...

post-14327-0-33791800-1432703029.jpg

...and the grass that has grown through the track on the sidings...

post-14327-0-86617500-1432703168.jpg

...and along the cutting...

post-14327-0-11427000-1432703225.jpg

...then the bushes/hedges that have grown up alongside the roadway...

post-14327-0-50033300-1432703311.jpg

post-14327-0-29171400-1432703436.jpg

The next job on the schedule is to 'leaf' up the trees a little more. Hopefully this will be the end of the spruce up, then it will be given a good clean and testing of the switches and make sure the track is clean for a solid three days of the exhibition.

Cheers, Gary.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gary was nice to put a face to the layout. Gary was very busy with little people running his layout and fielding questions on the layout

Was great to see The layout on display today it has a really good atmosphere with nice scenic detail in a compact space and the happy little modellers running the trains up and down were having a great time playing trains.

2 photos from the show

post-14985-0-95372700-1433589683.jpg

post-14985-0-02557400-1433589704.jpg

For more photos of the show see this link

https://flic.kr/s/aHsk9XxdS4

Thankyou Andy, much appreciated. :thankyou:

Thankyou to Chris for posting a few pics of the layout and of how much attention the little layout garnered. It was great to meet you and Ian. Thankyou for coming along. :imsohappy:

I have only exhibited this layout once before, and that was really for only a day and a half. This weekend was for 3 solid days and I can tell you all that my feet and voice box needs replacing !

Unlike other exhibitors, I like to bring the layout to the barrier fence and allow the public to have a play. This is one way we can all truly introduce the young and old into railway modelling. Plenty of questions were asked from "how do you make trees ?" to "how do you get the grass to stand up like that  ?" But one of the most common was " do you add another module to the end ?" Inglenooks and small shunting layouts are slowly becoming a 'thing' to model now down under. I had explained to quite a few people that you don't need a 12' x 24' room to build an operational layout.

So, a few of my wife's pics from the weekend...

post-14327-0-34180300-1433768255_thumb.jpg

^ Linden Ford set up in the stadium

post-14327-0-90822400-1433768285_thumb.jpg

^ My two sons Jody (left) and Jack (right) operating together before the masses arrive.

post-14327-0-09953000-1433768313_thumb.jpg

^ A proud father and son for taking out the 'Darrell Nelson Award', for...

post-14327-0-13467100-1433768341_thumb.jpg

The award was presented on Saturday night during a gathering of modellers and traders over a feast of pizza and drinks. By Sunday afternoon I had been invited to two more exhibitions, one being the 'Sydney Model Railway Exhibition', hosted by the Australian Model Railway Association (NSW Branch) and the other is the 2016 Forestville Exhibition (March), hosted by the North Shore Modellers Association.

Happy days. ;)

Cheers, Gary.

Congrats Gary, on the best new Layout award.

You also deserve a medal as well as the Award, for allowing the masses have a go at running a model railway I know how demanding the 3 days of a show can be as an exhibitor, add in the unknown of first time little fingers and the od bod in the mix you now deserve a Holiday.

In all serious ness you and your boys are doing a great job of introducing the hobby to the next generation plus the older Gen can see that they don't need a big space to have an interesting model railway.

If I don't see you some time before Liverpool, I will see you there as I will be putting on a display for Aus 7 O scale group with a small O scale layout.

Hi Gary

I don't know how I missed this yesterday, but I did.

Congratulations on getting the award which is well deserved as the layout has some wonderful little details, good to see that you had no trouble with the ponts this time as I remember you replacing the other one.

Jim

• 1 month later...

So, some of us who have been busy might have forgotten to check back in here......... :)

I finally managed to catch the layout in the flesh at a flying visit to Thornleigh on the Saturday between other, larger sized duties during the weekend. And I was amazed. The pictures really just don't do it justice. Gary has managed to create a fresh take on the 'Inglenook' concept, and keep it interesting for not only the railway minded, but the general public popping by for a look.

While I could go on, and probably make Gary redder in the face by doing so, I will embarrass him in the highest order-by quoting one James McInerney of Australian Model Railway Magazine. The photos are also his:

"The highlight of the Epping Exhibition for me. This very nice variation on the Inglenook design made for a very compact layout, nicely detailed and interesting to operate. The basic design would be easily adaptable to Australian prototype."

post-14921-0-15899000-1436713342.jpg

A close up shot of the Linden Ford layout, showing some of the very effective modelling on this quite small layout.

post-14921-0-89067200-1436713354.jpg

To have that praise coming from James himself, someone has certainly done something right!

(Wait, Liverpool? Drat, now I HAVE to make it out there! Just not Sunday-playing with the 'big toys' again)

• 2 months later...

Well, I have just got organised, packing the necessary items up for this weekends exhibition. Set up, which doesn't take very long will be on Friday night, then it's an early start for Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Luckily, the exhibition finishes an hour earlier on Monday, but the best of all, the indoor sports complex where it is being held is only 20 minutes from home !

Here are the details...

post-14327-0-73421500-1443603459_thumb.jpg

If you are in Sydney on holidays from overseas, or you are visiting the show, come on up and introduce yourself.

Cheers, Gary.

Archived