GNRI BUT railcars

colmflanagan

When the 700s came, they were used in a six car Enterprise - 700/700 / 1ST/BRAKE TRAILER/BUFFET/700/700, and while I've no absolute photographic proof I expect the later rake of 6 would have a 900 at either end in place of a 700.   This gave a high power/weight ratio for fast running.

I can recall being on a Derry road train in 1964 and there was a 900 at one end (i spent the journey looking out!) I think a 700 was at the front.

Build a double ender and you have an instant train!

Colm

Thanks Colm, so in a 6 vehicle set four would have been power cars, as you point out a considerable amount of traction power.

Of course, you could always model the Enniskillen - Belfast Express of 1957 which comprised a single 700 railcar + panelled Brake Composite 396, and which ran via Omagh. This necessitated a change of direction at Omagh, which meant the railcar had to run round the coach. Picture of this train on P66 of Eric Challoner's 'Farewell the Derry Road'.

• 2 months later...

Front Cab of 900 Series BUT.

I've started building the interiors of these Railcars and I'm looking for a picture of the interior looking towards the front drivers cab.

In the drawing there appears to be a partition between the 1st Class compartment and the Drivers Cab including a door.

BUT%20900%20front%20floor%20plan.jpg

I know the seats in the 1st Class compartment were tiered to allow all the Passengers a view through the front so I first assumed the Partition was partly glass.  

Some of the exterior photographs seems to suggest there was a seat opposite the Driver's seat.  

BUT%20902%20Front%20Cab.jpg

I know that what appears on plans is not always replicated on the actual Railcar, can anyone help on this please, a photograph would be great?

• RMweb Gold

There was second seat in the cab of these trains. Officially for the use of a loco inspector on driver training and driver monitoring duties, but also used by those lucky enough to be given a trip in the cab when offered by a friendly driver.

I do recall two glass partitions separating the first class from the vestibule where the doors were and again to separate the vestibule from the second class.

Archived