New HO Releases

Parthia27

Don't know if this has been mentioned else-where on here, but the following new HO product announcements have come up over the last few days on the Trainorders board:

Exactrail

Their new HO release is to be the General Steel Castings (GSC) 53’-6” Flat Car with 43’-3” and 42'-0" Truck Centers. Cars will have full underbody details and laser cut wooden decking. Pictures showed cars in NP and UP liveries. Not sure if BN and other liveries will be offered. No release date is mentioned.

Tangent

Their new release will be the HO Scale General American Dry-Flo covered hopper. Details can be found at http://www.tangentscalemodels.com.

Athearn Genesis

The rumoured new HO release is thought to be a F89 Bi-level Auto-rack. Possible details at http://www.athearn.com/Search/Default.aspx?SearchTerm=athearn+bi-level

Nothing as yet on the retooled model, believed to be a locomotive - hopefully a Genesis standard GP39-2 or C44-9W / AC4400 :tease:  :tease:

Cheers

Chris

Tangent

Their new release will be the HO Scale General American Dry-Flo covered hopper. Details can be found at http://www.tangentscalemodels.com.

Specifically https://www.tangentscalemodels.com/general-american-dry-flo-covered-hopper/

I'm not sure how long these lasted, but they look nice. I might have to do some patching on one to add some more plastics hopper variety.

Specifically https://www.tangentscalemodels.com/general-american-dry-flo-covered-hopper/

I'm not sure how long these lasted, but they look nice. I might have to do some patching on one to add some more plastics hopper variety.

Just been looking through the BN guide to Freight and Passenger Equipment and there are no pictures of this car, Only one BN photo on the web at http://www.railcarphotos.com/PhotoDetails.php?PhotoID=40949. The Tangent blog states that some of these cars lasted well into the 1990s. There is no reference to these cars in the BNSF rosters that I have and the Trinity 3 Bay Hoppers that now occupy this number series were introduced from 2000 onwards so that may answer your question from a BN perspective. I'll go hunting in my other books later to see if I can dig up more info.

Cheers

Chris

Don't know if this has been mentioned else-where on here, but the following new HO product announcements have come up over the last few days on the Trainorders board:

Exactrail

Their new HO release is to be the General Steel Castings (GSC) 53’-6” Flat Car with 43’-3” and 42'-0" Truck Centers. Cars will have full underbody details and laser cut wooden decking. Pictures showed cars in NP and UP liveries. Not sure if BN and other liveries will be offered. No release date is mentioned.

Tangent

Athearn Genesis

The rumoured new HO release is thought to be a F89 Bi-level Auto-rack. Possible details at http://www.athearn.com/Search/Default.aspx?SearchTerm=athearn+bi-level

Nothing as yet on the retooled model, believed to be a locomotive - hopefully a Genesis standard GP39-2 or C44-9W / AC4400 :tease:  :tease:

Cheers

Chris

Exactrail

Tangent

Athearn Genesis

Cheers

Chris

It could be an SD40-2 they are moving up to Genesis standard - not sure if there is a give away in the facebook header but the photo of NS #3215 says it has SKU#ATHG98265 but is then listred as an RTR SD40-2 if you do a search; price is also RTR level.  Was the G put in to confuse ius?

Just been looking through the BN guide to Freight and Passenger Equipment and there are no pictures of this car, Only one BN photo on the web at http://www.railcarphotos.com/PhotoDetails.php?PhotoID=40949. The Tangent blog states that some of these cars lasted well into the 1990s. There is no reference to these cars in the BNSF rosters that I have and the Trinity 3 Bay Hoppers that now occupy this number series were introduced from 2000 onwards so that may answer your question from a BN perspective. I'll go hunting in my other books later to see if I can dig up more info.

Cheers

Chris

I used to see BN ones in quantity at a local sugar converter well into the mid 1980s at least.

The NS # 3215 is apparently an SD40-2 promoting the NMRA Cleveland Convention and is offered in their RTR range due for release in March next year. Would be typical for them to announce a Genesis SD40-2 though, as I've got two on the workbench! My money would be on an SD40 or SDP40F as some have suggested although IMHO if not an SD40-2 then I think a C44-9W, to Genesis standard, which is representative of the types commonly operated by each of their owners would be a no brainer. I currently have non on my BNSF roster as the Kato shell is only good for the ex ATSF locos and the RTR model still needs some work. I know MTH have one in the pipeline but their SD70ACe is no where near the recent standards set by Genesis for their SD70ACe and ES44AC. Would love a GP39-2 Phase 2 but that is not likely.

Cheers

Chris

From the pics on their website the MTH the ATSF version has the same detail features as the current Athearn RTR version. Thus is is incorrect in a substantial no of areas for the BNSFbonnets they are doing in their initial run. Here's hoping a Genesis version with all the correct detail variation.

Dan

The NS # 3215 is apparently an SD40-2 promoting the NMRA Cleveland Convention and is offered in their RTR range due for release in March next year. Would be typical for them to announce a Genesis SD40-2 though, as I've got two on the workbench! My money would be on an SD40 or SDP40F as some have suggested although IMHO if not an SD40-2 then I think a C44-9W, to Genesis standard, which is representative of the types commonly operated by each of their owners would be a no brainer. I currently have non on my BNSF roster as the Kato shell is only good for the ex ATSF locos and the RTR model still needs some work. I know MTH have one in the pipeline but their SD70ACe is no where near the recent standards set by Genesis for their SD70ACe and ES44AC. Would love a GP39-2 Phase 2 but that is not likely.

Cheers

Chris

Fox Valley Models are doing a GP60 / GP60B / GP60M in HO.

Just as I'm about to start working over a couple of Athearn GP60M's for Hacienda Ave.....

That said if anyone has a BNSFbonnet scheme one they'd like to trade up I'd be interested

Dan

Murphys Law strikes again, just as you are about to start a new project someone goes and releases a RTR version. Also just had a look at the Dash 9s on the MTH web site, there is no evidence of the changes I would look for in a BNSF model, looks like my six axle BNSF fleet will be made up of AC units other than for a few Intermountain ES44DC GEVOS.

Cheers

Chris

Murphys Law strikes again, just as you are about to start a new project someone goes and releases a RTR version. Also just had a look at the Dash 9s on the MTH web site, there is no evidence of the changes I would look for in a BNSF model, looks like my six axle BNSF fleet will be made up of AC units other than for a few Intermountain ES44DC GEVOS.

No, they seem to have copied the same early prototypes as the existing RTR models, usefully (not!) if you're trying to model one of the 1500-ish (from memory) BNSF ones that look different!

Wonder if it's just that there's published drawings of them...

The current Dash 9's are good for the SF 600 series and that's it. The 700 series as delivered in the BNSF version of Warbonnet had the 4 window cab sides, top mounted ditchlights and those raised panels on the long hood behind the cab as s starter for 10

Dan

No, they seem to have copied the same early prototypes as the existing RTR models, usefully (not!) if you're trying to model one of the 1500-ish (from memory) BNSF ones that look different!

Hi Martyn,

Your point about drawings is a good point, I find it amazing that the RTR Manufacturers have neglected to address the lack of such a common prototype.

Rant Mode On/

For me it draws parallels with the current situation viz. a viz. the 4mm RTR Class 25s that are sold to the UK market, a prototype where the model looks so wrong it visually hurts, a prototype where a large fleet was operated in many parts of the country (though nothing like the 1500+ C44-9Ws operated by BNSF), and where the manufacturers know it is wrong, those people who know about the prototype know it is wrong, but there is no commercial pressure or drive by the manufacturers to do something about it. In these days of laser scanning where a 3D electronic rendition of a prototype can be recreated to the nearest fraction of an inch there is absolutely no excuse.

Rant Mode Off/

Anyway like the Class 25, if you have the will a really good Phase 2 C44-9W can be built in HO, I'm going to detail a couple of Athearn C44-9Ws and AC4400's at some point after I have done some in depth research. It's something I may even attempt while I'm recovering next week though I think I may need to get hold of some back issues of the relevant magazines to make sure I have captured all the significant areas which need to be addressed.

Cheers

Chris

Archived