AC Electric loco's in N Gauge

scruff

funny how the 87 and 90 have been dropped.

wonder if farish are just not turned on by ac locos in N.

If this is definitely the case no one has (yet) told Hattons-:

http://www.ehattons.com/stocklist/1000398/1000589/1000672/0/Graham_Farish_N_Gauge_Electric_locos/prodlist.aspx

Though noting that the Freightliner Class 90's have now presumably sold out.

Point to note,

While they may be dropping AC locomotives, they are still going with a DVT in network rail yellow and will if not them then Dapol may be looking at opening up the market on AC locos to step into the open gap as both have AC related stock and items about just not very advertised!

Point to note,

While they may be dropping AC locomotives, they are still going with a DVT in network rail yellow and will if not them then Dapol may be looking at opening up the market on AC locos to step into the open gap as both have AC related stock and items about just not very advertised!

I'd say that's unlikely after the poor sales of the their Class 86.

Most of the pictures I've seen of the Network Rail DVT's, they've been used alongside diesels not electrics.

That said, I'm building a layout with Catenary and it would be nice to see at least a re-tooled 90 and somebody release a 92.

One of the points I noted at TINGS this year was that the majority of the Modern Image layouts had catenary.

From what I understand with the NR DVTs is that they have had the system for working with electrics isolated but not removed and another one installed for working with diesels, like the DB 67(s) that work on the Management train.

I am going with centenary for my layout to so AC electrics are a part of it, I think part of the issue with the poor sales is due to a few of factors:

1) The tooling of the range they have had out especially Farish, which needs updating

2) AC layouts are only really starting to appear more now as the modellers coming in remember later eras more than say some of the older gents who fondly remember steam days and want to recreate it

3) The limited ranges there has been out there 86,87,90,91 and the occasional emu is not a great range and if I want a 92 say I have to go CJM and cough up 500 notes!

4) Limited RTR centenary available on the market for some of the more complicated OHLE sections which the current Dapol Centenary doesn't cater very well for.

These are depending on your point of view rather large issues as said why would Farish retool for AC if the sales weren't great, but at the same time if you don't offer a good well built and designed range that can well give everything a modeller need to build a layout sales will never be good!

On the other foot offer US the modeller a varying good quality range sales may start slow but would no doubt pick up as people what to get either current era or 1960s / 70s onwards mainlines to go with what they remember

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if the 87 and 90 have been dropped, as they are the last "Old Poole" models in the modern range. Rather a shame if that's the case, as they scrub up very nicely.

It would be nice to see some of the old models re-appear in a sort of "Farish Railroad" range, as they must cost a fraction of the new super-detailed locos to produce.

• RMweb Premium

There is a chap on the N gauge forum who has produced a kit for the class 92 using a resin body and etched parts. It looks rather good and fits onto a Farish class 92 chassis. Worth a look.

Class 60 chassis, as I'm sure you meant, but yes, I've got one, not got beyond priming it and giving it a bit of a sand, but it's an excellent model. Whilst I'd love a CJM 92 I just can't justify the prices.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived