Oakamoor Sands Sidings

Hi Paul,

The 'Churnet Valley Railway' by Basil Jeuda is as good a book on the CVR as you're likely to find and it contains track plans for all significant locations along the line inc. the sand sdgs at Oakamoor.

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchResults?an=Basil+Jeuda&sts=t&tn=The+Churnet+Valley+Railway

There are two copies available on the ABE books site....link above

Rgds

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71

After searching the Internet for hours, I'm coming up empty in my quest for a track plan of Oakamoor Sands Sidings. Does anyone have a source to which they can point me?

Thanks!

Try looking on Google maps, give you an idea of track layout etc.............if they're still there!

Cheers

Sinon

Hi Statiomaster---the sidings are still there together with the sand loader over one of the tracks.Also the small engine shed is there.

This of course is where the double track line to Uttoxeter and Derby continued.However it was severed at this point.

The CVR still use this end of the line for stock storage.

If you cannot access the info. you are after from the other leads provided I will look thro, my books on this.

best regards,Ed

Old Maps Uk is your friend.  I had a quick look and the 1:2500 maps plus Google Earth overlay in Google Maps will show you enough for modelling purposes.  The 1967-1970 map shows the sidings - they're not there on the 1938 map.

Depending on your modelling era. it's either a three track loop with a trailing spur alongside the double track main, or after the main was closed to through traffic, the former main line became two dead end sidings.

....I noted your geographic position Paul and hoped that there might be a copy listed on your continent (there are often U.S. & Aus. copies listed at the bottom) but unfortunately not this time. You won't be disappointed at paying the shipping for it is a superb book which gives a real feel as to the character and progression/development of the line, along with many useful modelling details.

Rgds

Dave

• Like 1

...there are a few images of the Oakamoor & Cauldon branches in the 1980s on my Flickr site Paul...link below

https://www.flickr.com/photos/43564631@N08/sets/72157622451093859/

Dave

• 3 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'd read that the CVR had closed and lifted the section to Oakamoor. I rode it in the early 1980s when they ran a DMU charter on some weekends from Cheddleton but the train stopped short of the sand sidings.

Dava