Wayne's Workbench - Wagon bashing, locos, and other stuff.

• 1 month later...

Well it's been a little while since I posted in here, I hope everyone is doing okay in these unprecedented times.

Being a railway employee means I'm still working at the moment but as I'm off on leave this week the goal has been to finish all the half done projects in the stock boxes before anything new is started.

I made a good start already prior to the lockdown, and now that I have my Sprat and winkle issue sorted things can really get moving.

One project that really needed finishing were the two OTA timber wagons, there is a third but I need to order some replacement parts as some were missing.

All these need now is the wheels and couplings fitting, then they'll both get log loads.

Next on the hit list is a Bachmann OBA, VDA and a repainted VBA.

Take it easy out there.

IMG_20200401_163336.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Wayne 37901 said:

Well it's been a little while since I posted in here, I hope everyone is doing okay in these unprecedented times.

Being a railway employee means I'm still working at the moment but as I'm off on leave this week the goal has been to finish all the half done projects in the stock boxes before anything new is started.

I made a good start already prior to the lockdown, and now that I have my Sprat and winkle issue sorted things can really get moving.

One project that really needed finishing were the two OTA timber wagons, there is a third but I need to order some replacement parts as some were missing.

All these need now is the wheels and couplings fitting, then they'll both get log loads.

Next on the hit list is a Bachmann OBA, VDA and a repainted VBA.

Take it easy out there.

IMG_20200401_163336.jpg

And they float !!!

• Funny 1

In addition to the next batch of air braked Speedlink vans on the bench I thought I'd chuck in something a little different for variety.

I decided to model an OBA open wagon which will be used to carry some large logs.

The basis is a Bachmann OBA wagon and the simple addition of the extendable stanchions that these wagons were fitted with. It's a simple job requiring four small holes drilled, then adding four small lengths of 1x1mm square section brass. You could use styrene but it will no doubt snap at some point, whereas brass will withstand exhibition handling.

The wagons has already had Bill Bedford w irons fitted as is now standard for my long wheelbase stock.

The next update will show some of the completed vans.

Cheers,

Wayne

IMG_20200402_153813.jpg

Edited by Wayne 37901
  • Like 5

As I said above my next post would show just a few of the fleet of Speedlink vans I've been finishing.

Here's three of them, two VBAs and a VDA. I've placed them in livery order starting with the earliest livery freight brown up to RFD sector livery.

A couple of snagging jobs need doing on these but otherwise they're done. @marc smith you won't recognise the brown wagon but it was the weathered EWS liveried van I bought from you. ;)

some China clay stock is next on my hit list.

hope every is keeping safe during this time.

happy modelling!

Cheers,

Wayne

IMG_20200406_184758.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

One of the next jobs to be tackled was this Skits bogie China clay hopper.

I know that Kernow have released a ready to run model now but I've had the kit 'in stock' for about three years.

On the whole it builds into a nice model but, I did find a few areas that were a fiddly and some of the instructions for the various bit not quite clear so I had to browse many photos from different angles to see where everything went. As such I won't be rushing to build another anytime soon.

At the moment I'm fitting the couplings, then it'll be ready for the paint shop.

1586345865186.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Coming along very nicely there, I have four of them (plus one Kernow) and remember them being a bit of a pig (and given I ran out of time running up to a show ended up getting someone else to build them.)  which livery are you finishing in?  I’m giving serious thought towards respray it my two white ones into the later blue to match the other 3 in order to be more useful on my future layout...

1 hour ago, The Fatadder said:

Coming along very nicely there, I have four of them (plus one Kernow) and remember them being a bit of a pig (and given I ran out of time running up to a show ended up getting someone else to build them.)  which livery are you finishing in?  I’m giving serious thought towards respray it my two white ones into the later blue to match the other 3 in order to be more useful on my future layout...

Thanks Richard,

Yes it was a bit of a pig in some areas and the resin body needed a lot of prep work but it's finally getting There.

It's being finished in the original white livery.

Fitting Sprat & winkle couplings is fun as I had to solder the goal post to the buffer beam as the brass was taking ages to drill through.

I'll post another photo when it's painted.

Cheers,

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Wayne 37901 said:

Fitting Sprat & winkle couplings is fun as I had to solder the goal post to the buffer beam as the brass was taking ages to drill through.

I know the feeling, drilling through the headstock to fit the dingham coupling was a real pain (particularly given I did it after finishing the mode and painting it)

• Agree 1

• 6 months later...

Crikey, it's been nearly 7 months since I posted anything! :o

The main reason I haven't had much modelling time was that my partner had a nasty accident in the garden back in July, and as such she was unable to get around much for almost 3 months!

A job on the big railway and volunteering on a preserved railway also keeps me busy, but now the winter is closing in I'm starting to get cracking again.

One of the things I'm working on is a small mid 1980s engineers works train, the first wagon to be done is an SR 25t 'pillbox' brake van. This is a Cambrian kit I picked up at a local model shop before the 'fire break' lockdown came into effect here in Wales.

The van is now at the painting stage and is being finished in engineers Olive livery. Once painting is finished I'll be adding wire handrails and lamp irons in addition to some detail underneath. 

The next wagon will be another Cambrian kit and will be a GW Loriot low flat wagon, which one day will have an excavator on it and after that a couple of Grampus wagons.

More soon, and I'll try to post more regular if I can.

Cheers,

Wayne

IMG_20201102_115445.jpg

Edited by Wayne 37901
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 8 months later...

Flipping 'eck now it's over 8 months since I posted anything. I apologise, but it's mostly down to work and the fact that I sometimes just get on with modelling rather than stopping to take photos.

The brake van pictured above has now been completed (apart from a couple of snagging jobs) along with a Grampus and rail crane fitted Salmon for the small early 80s fleet I'm slowly building up.

Other part finished wagons are also passing across the bench to wrap them up, along with older models getting a refurb. This includes a rake of 'Rudd' ballast wagons and I spent yesterday morning crawling under one for some brake gear photos.

Also, since the last couple of posts I've entered the impressive world of 7mm modelling so expect some bigger items to appear on hear soon. The first ever 7mm wagons I'm building are some 'Grampus' wagons and these are nearly ready for undercoating before finishing.

See you soon,

Wayne

IMG_20210725_205636.jpg

IMG_20210725_205737.jpg

IMG_20210725_205830.jpg

• Like 6