Wayne's Workbench - Wagon bashing, locos, and other stuff.

Two updates in one day... Shows how I'm really getting on with the things in the run up to a show in January, more details here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/111081-2nd-small-cardiff-show-saturday-21st-jan-2017/.

I thought I'd show one last photo of the Clayhoods, this time three together to show the variation in lettering patches on these. I dread to think of the number of hours spent trawling over photos both in books and the ones I can manage to find online to look at the different styles but I hope it'll be worth it in the end.

I promise not to show these anymore until finished.

post-6773-0-31071400-1481471527.jpg

Another item of stock I'm working on is two Bachmann VGA vans for bagged clay traffic. These are the standard RTR model but I've completely repainted them and added new lettering to prototypes using Railtec transfers. It's my first time using these decals and I have to say they're excellent quality. I'm also replacing the w-irons with Bill Bedford sprung units, the main reason for this is to add sprung 'suspension' but also upgrade the axleboxes as the Bachmann version looks nothing like the prototype Timken roller bearing ones and it's a shame they carried this over onto the newer VAA/VBA and VDA models. 

post-6773-0-44627700-1481471574.jpg

I also have two class 37s in the works but more on those next time.

Cheers

• Like 3

Good evening,

As I said yesterday I have two class 37s in the works and the first is this former Kernow model of 37670, the other is a 37/0.

Some work needs to be done to this including changing the bonnet side grilles as they're incorrect for this loco. Some underframe detail will be added and it will be backdated to Railfreight 'Red Stripe' livery.

Rather than go through loco projects stage by stage I like to do a before and after as loco detailing has been covered many times before.

So here's the before photo.

post-6773-0-84172000-1481575303.jpg

More on this one soon, but right now it's time for a cuppa and some cookies!

Cheers

Wayne

Edited by Wayne 37901
  • Like 1

Good morning (well it is just after midnight).

With the 'Clayhoods' on the home stretch to being finished, work has started on the class 37s and the first in line is 37670. This uses the Kernow limited edition model of the same locomotive but some details need changing which are incorrect on model as supplied.

Starting at the top the work to be done includes.

• Changing the radiator grille and fan with etched parts
  • Fitting etched cab windscreens
  • Changing the bonnet side grilles as these are incorrect for my version of 37670
  • Modifying the headcode boxes to the flush style
  • Fitting headboard brackets
  • Adding speedometer and REVTEL details to the bogies
  • Relocating a fuel gauge to the number 1 end tank and adding welded plate to number 2 end tank
  • Re-gauge to EM

A repaint into red stripe railfreight livery will then follow.

Here's a photo to show the work on the fuel tanks.

post-6773-0-86722000-1482106624.jpg

More on this one soon.

Cheers

Wayne

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Years spent watching '37s at the lineside has given me a liking for them but I must admit I struggle with the more recent liveries. I am deffo a rail blue sort of chap.

I used to enjoy the Llanwern iron ore jobbies. Three 37/3 used to make quite a din coming through the centre roads at Cardiff Central....

That said, Wayne, if I do aquire an example, I will give you a shout for some advice...

Years spent watching '37s at the lineside has given me a liking for them but I must admit I struggle with the more recent liveries. I am deffo a rail blue sort of chap.

I used to enjoy the Llanwern iron ore jobbies. Three 37/3 used to make quite a din coming through the centre roads at Cardiff Central....

That said, Wayne, if I do aquire an example, I will give you a shout for some advice...

I know what you mean, 37s are certainly a minefield especially from the 1980s onwards. 

Sometimes I wish I was old enough to have seen the three 37/3s, I'm always impressed when I see photos of them and having grown up with 37s they're certainly my favourite class with 56s coming in at a close second.

If you do get one I'll gladly be of any help if I can.

Good evening,

I trust everyone had a nice Christmas and ate lots of choccy?

Well the workbench closed for Christmas Day but was promptly back in action again today. I've now pretty much finished the key items of stock for the new layout which will be at the Cardiff show in January - link here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/111081-2nd-small-cardiff-show-saturday-21st-jan-2017/.

I've now got the Clayhoods to a stage where I can pretty much call them finished, well once I've weathered the hoods that is.

post-6773-0-20359500-1482788097.jpg

Work has now turned to some vans for bagged clay traffic and a short cut of HEA hoppers for delivering coal to the works.

Back with more soon.

Cheers

• Like 4

Nice work as usual Wayne.

Not long now!!

Rob.

Thank you sir.

Had an unusual visitor to the works this evening in the form of Hornby TCT (Teenage Cancer Trust) liveried 60074. It was quickly booked onto the bench in a quick slot between other jobs after suffering a drop to the floor, after a works inspection it was found that no new parts were required and that the drive shaft would just slot back into place and following a test run all was well. All that remains is to re-attach some detail parts and she can return to traffic.

Considering I don't have any Hornby class 60s in my fleet and not being very familiar with the workings, I soon sussed things out.

She'll have a final test run before being returned to her owner.

Edited by Wayne 37901
  • Like 2

Hi Wayne,

Had similar event in that my son dropped 60090 and 60005 ! 60090 came off the worst , one broken buffer , front bogie came out the housing, pickup wires detatched , took us about two hours to put back together. Moral of the story DON'T drop them , happy new year

Edited by bazjones1711

Hi Baz,

Yes sounds similar to 074, it was thought by the owner that the drive shaft had broken but it simply slotted back inside the larger shaft from the motor. As you know the Hornby class 60 body is quite thin so he was very lucky it hadn't broken, bearing in mind this was roughly a three feet drop.

All sorted now though and she awaits the journey back to the owner.

Cheers and Happy New Year.

• Like 1

Good evening,

Just a quick photo to show some progress on 37670. I've now pretty much got everything on it and it's ready for primer, work done includes new etched side grilles, roof fan grille and new etched windscreens.

post-6773-0-75621300-1483388111.jpg

Cheers

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Just a quick update to show progress on 37670. It needs a little weathering although not too much as it's being modelled when still quite new and the bufferbeam painting red but otherwise more or less there.

It had a nice run on the layout Saturday when I exhibited at a small local show. 

post-6773-0-51429100-1485207517.jpg

Cheers,

Wayne

Edited by Wayne 37901

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Well I took Trevanna Dries to the Cardiff small layout show and it seemed to go well for a first outing with a new layout. No major issues other than some problems with the Kadee couplings so I'm thinking of using another method.

The show was a great success and it was great to catch up with some other local modellers and meet some new RMwebbers.

On Thursday a new loco arrived to join the Trevanna fleet in the form of 50014 Warspite, the model is the original work of Andrew Bartlett for his Oldshaw layout and the original plan was a repaint and renumber however I found an image of the loco in Cornwall working a rake of clayhoods so I think I'll just replace some missing bits and leave it at that, a sort of 'quick and dirty' if you like. I must say I was never really 'sold' on sound fitted models but this one is equipped with it so I'll look forward to having a play at some point.

Here's a picture of it earlier on the workbench while undergoing a quick A Exam.

post-6773-0-96552200-1486341935.jpg

Cheers 

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Always have a soft spot for these, Wayne.

I spent many hours 1980-82 watching these on the West of England mainline at Uphill Junction at Weston super Mare.

Nice project.

Rob.

Hi Rob,

Yes I quite like them myself. I don't recall getting chance to see them working into Cardiff even when my parents used to take me in the early 90s, but I did enjoy bashing 031 during it's stint on the loco hauled Rhymney services as well as having a brilliant trip to Crewe behind 50049 in 2006.

Regarding the model, the only real issue I can think of that bothers me is those radiator shutters - they shouldn't sit in such a deep recess. Other than that I think Hornby have done a pretty good job.

Cheers,

• RMweb Gold

Yeah they were a favourite class of mine. Must admit I prefer plain blue rather than big logo jobbie...At the same I was watching many Peaks which were rife back then......

These are not my work but they are exactly as I recall. One of the shots ( class 50 ) has some roofs in the background. That is where I used to stay with my Aunty.

I used to stand on the bridge in the Peak shot..

Great days

Rob.

post-14122-0-01295800-1486411166_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-61115400-1486411857_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

Not posted in here for a while but I have been modelling.

Some of the things I'm working on include another class 37 for Trevanna Dries along with some freight stock and at last a brake van so I can finally propel the St Blazey trip with the 08 pilot.

Continuing from the above postings about class 50s, I feel I need to represent one of the NSE liveried examples. This was spurred on by a visit to the Swanage Railway Diesel Gala on Saturday and riding behind 50026 in revised NSE livery, the owners have done a great job on this loco and Network liveried eamples did work trains of Clayhoods and even the air braked CDAs so that's the inspiration sorted.

I did manage to buy a damaged Hornby class 50 for a bargain price so the basis is already there, it does however need a new body.

No photos for now but hopefully something over the weekend.

Cheers

• 5 months later...

Crikey no update since May! 

To get that sorted here's a quick snap shot of progress on one of two Skits 80 ton 'Clay Tiger' hoppers. Now that the hype for the Kernow model seems to have fizzed out I thought I would dig these out and aim to get them complete, progress originally halted due to a lack of transfers.

The wagons are resin castings which although the quality is quite good do require quite a bit of work to get imperfections sorted, but we are meant to be modellers after all so this is all part of the fun.

post-6773-0-51731200-1508363051.jpg

Cheers

Wayne

• Like 4

• 6 months later...

Hello,

A fortnight ago at the Bristol show I picked up two Cambrian SPA kits, one was to become a standard railfreight version to replace a broken wagon and the other was to become an engineers ZAA Pike.

That was until I was browsing back through the sector feature in Rail Express. Inside was a spread on wagons to receive various sector liveries and one photo showed SPA wagon 460433 in metals livery, now as my other SPAs are in railfreight livery I got to thinking that this would make for a nice bit of variation.

The kit will need a little extra work to bring it up to the standard of my other SPA wagons but the body is built and awaiting priming.

I'll post a photo later in the week - not much to show just now.

Cheers

Wayne

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

No update on here for a little while but I have been modelling trying to get through all the unfinished wagons before I start anymore.

The next item on the list was a POA 'blackadder' scrap carrying wagon. So far it has had bodyside alterations and detail applied and now is in it's basic black livery. Next job is to start adding some bits to the underframe.

post-6773-0-36401500-1530566108.jpg

Cheers

Wayne

• Like 1

Nice work, I guess the POA "Blackadder" is the Appelby kit or is it a scrachbuild? I do like the Cambrian open wagons in general, they look better than the Bachmann versions in my opinion. I am in the procces of lettering some Cambrian OBA and OCA's and I recently bought a ZCA at the Perth show. The link is to my workbench.

Jules

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/134794-jules-workbench-mainly-wagons/

Hi Jules,

The POA is from Wizard Models. It's the first of there kits I've built and it captures the rugged look of these beasts really well.

I totally agree regarding the open wagons. They do need a bit of work but it results in a much better model in my opinion.

I'll take a look at your link.

Cheers

Wayne

Thanks for the link Jules, some nice stuff on your bench.

A bit more progress on the 'Blackadder' POA scrap wagon. Not a great lot to see but the yellow band has been added around the top in readiness for the wasp stripes along with a base coat of dark rust for the interior. The underframe components have been added along with the protection beams made from styrene channel, I was going to add some air pipework underneath but so far I haven't found a clear enough picture to work from so that will wait for now.

post-6773-0-08441900-1530999440.jpg

At some point I need to assemble the ladder which is formed from two sides with individual rungs soldered in place so that should be fun.

Cheers

Wayne

• Like 1