A fire at a show?

stivesnick

In the now distant past (16 years ago) i was tasked with providing a training video covering all aspects of on train/platform etc.,emergency situations at the then height of terrorist threats .

I found it slightly amusing that Human Resources ( pay and rations) weren't prepared to acknowledge that staffs inability to react might have been the difference between life and death. I threw away with the idea of a video and with external help provided an interactive suit which hopefully made all the staff  aware of life threatening situations.  Life is far more important than playing at trains or whatever and a comment from a Human Resource professional who said " I don't want a member of my staff having to use a ladder to evacuate a train in a fire,  presumably  meant she was prepared to allow them to be burnt to death, a comment that she wasn't prepared to answer.

ex  First GW group training manager.

I spent about 20 years working in public buildings (libraries) during which time we had everything from routine fire alarm exercises to minor actual fires (and one very big one, fortunately outside working hours) and a bomb scare or two, and the one thing that stays with me is never to underestimate how unaware people can be of the situation when a fire alarm goes off.

The number of conversations I had with people on the lines of 'OK, can I just finish photocopying this/send this email/return my books' as we were trying to shepherd them out of the building, to say nothing of people trying to come in as we were trying to get everyone else out, with bells ringing loudly in the background...

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for all your comments.

I have had more views and responses on this post than any of my modelling posts - not sure what that means

I have no idea what your modelling posts were but lots of RMwebbers select their reading from View new Contents..... Unless it is a thread you already know the decision as to what to read is down to the selected title - for me, yours was too interesting to ignore.

Andy

Thankfully we have not had to deal with a fire alarm incident during our show but at our Stoneleigh Park Exhibition Centre venue there is a duty facilities manager on site who would take charge in such a situation. Briefing sheets are issued to stewards manning fire exits. It certainly is somethng to be taken seriously by exhibition orgainsers these days. 

We often experience medical emergencies and I can't see in the thread that anybody has yet commented on that other important aspect. The value of having a qualified para-medic onsite during the show has proved it's worth time and time again. 

• RMweb Premium

I have to do a visual 'fire safety' check at work, every month and record the results in the appropriate book. This is mainly because the mangers are CBA to do it.

The place is a fire hazard waiting to combust and do the Building Managers take any notice of what I write down.......... 

Recently there was another alarm when a toaster left unattended set the alarms off. I only found this out when I saw it entered in the wrong place in 'the book'. This had been done by a designated 'Fire Warden' in main Admin;  someone that should know better. It should have gone in the Activation/Evacuation section but was in the Fire Test section that I complete. Sadly they also do not really know how to deal with the Alarm Panels either and this is staff who are supposed to be 'in charge'!

I've been working there nearly 9 months and am still waiting for my Safety Induction. God help youngewr and probably less experienced staff.

It sound like most Exhibition organisers have it sorted, however I'd ask to be shown the procedures and even to hear the alarm tone if at all possible in a place where buildings staff are not 'patrolling on site' (quite usual in schools I believe).

Good post and worthwhile discussion.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for all your comments.

I have had more views and responses on this post than any of my modelling posts - not sure what that means.

An attempt to provide a summary of the points raised plus some of my own to help exhibition organisers:

1.  Find out how the fire alarm works, alarms or voice messages, and where the panel is and how to silence an alarm.
  2. Check if the building owner will be present all day and have an emergency contact number
  3. Ensure stands do not obstruct exits
  4. Ensure stewards and stands know the procedure
  5. For exhibitions with many rooms, ie schools, ensure there is a steward covering a set of rooms
  6. If the alarm goes off - priority to get public out followed by exhibitors and stewards
  7. Only try to tackle fire if trained
  8. Stewards need to check everyone is out
  9. Call 999
  10. Don't let people back in until all clear
  11. If false alarm - stewards in first, then exhibitors and finally public

Hope this is helpful and thanks again for your comments

Surely calling '999' belongs higher up the list than 9th? Probably after 6, or nominate someone to do so.

The usual order on discovery of a fire is

1. sound the alarm

2. evacuate the building and check everyone is out

3. call the fire brigade

4. attempt to tackle the fire only if it is safe to do so

Some information for event organisers can be found here http://www.hse.gov.uk/event-safety/fire-safety.htm

All good comments every show must be prepared and have plans on how to react, at our old Chatham Show venue we had to provide all facilities including Fire Marshals and First Aid, after finding outside organizations unreliable and expensive, we provided in house, many clubs probably already have trained First Aiders in their ranks, a First Aid kit in the form of a purpose made bum bag was very useful. At our new venue, a modern sports facility, all these services are provided by the venue who give use clear procedures, which we pass on to all Show Staff, to follow in case of evacuation or First Aid. I work as part of the security team in a large Government building, with staff and members of the public, when the bells ring and lights flash people are very slow to react only by telling them, in a calm and assertive manor, to leave will they do so!

The only time I've ever been turfed out of a show because of a fire alarm was at Chatham one year when the show was at the leisure centre. It happened just after an old boy sneezed and shat himself. We were crying with laughter at the time, but it really must be a terrible predicament to be in when one is away from one's home and ends up requiring cycle clips for purposes other than cycling. I might add that the venue was evacuated as fast and Kent Fire Service were in attendance very quickly.

Archived