Vopak Chemical Complex, Barry docks terminal.

naturol

Always keen to promote the modelling opportunities in my locality, around about 0830 am most mornings the ADJ to Barry docks container train rumbles passed my house with the standard EWS 66 at its head,
My employment takes me most days onto the dock at Barry, to the stone recycling facility on the fore shore, my day is lifted with the sight of the numerous coloured containers stacked at the recently built terminal on the branch in the docks line that runs from the head shunt adjacent to Jewsons builders merchant, and the Rank Hovis silos, into Dow, and also back through 180deg back toward the vale of Glamorgan line, through the now derelict Sims metals site. And along the dock.

All accessible to the public, unfortunately all my pictures are on another hard drive and I'm typing this from my iPad, so some reference material from Flickr will start this project rolling.

The branch used to hold an 08 shunter stabled on the dock behind Rank Hovis, to shunt the container train, however the whole operation is now undertaken by the mainline loco assisted by a mobile operative in a van.

The train is split at one of two locations on the dock and the NACCO poly bulk s shunted onto the plant, and the containers are shunted around the terminal for unloading by a reach stacker.

My interest lies in the plant terminal itself, not easily accessed for pictures. So again flickr is used to show the location.

Picture one will be the google earth image of the area intended to be modelled.post-9901-0-19056900-1405802009_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

This picture clearly shows the container terminal on the curve that leads onto the Dow plant around the ten o'clock direction,

The line off at three o'clock leads to the run round loop, the line at about 4-5 o clock runs behind Rank Hovis and onto the dockside where the 08used to be stabled, and finally the line off around 8 o'clock runs around the ponds through 180 degrees and back along the other side of the dock before performing another tight 180 degree reverse up through the graffitti cutting, under the millenium road, and onto the vale of Glamorgan line at cadoxton.post-9901-0-51106000-1405802439_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

My last industrial layout really went down well, and I have for a while had this location in the back of my mind,

But already having one layout completed, one underway, and plans to build Radyr also on the back burner, this really is a mere dream at present. But still I can dream.

post-9901-0-16269500-1405802748_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

The basic idea would have a fiddle yard feeding the very americanised idea of a flat road unloading area with the reversing diamond crossing leading to two stub end sidings for stabling.

Designed very much as a shunting puzzle this uses two Bachmann poly bulks as a maximum length of train on any siding.

Shunting would be undertaken by a converted road rail vehicle available in HO.

• Like 3

The train originates in France to dollands moor onto to wembley then via ADJ to Barry dock, conveying silica sand which is the raw material used in the production of silicon for the microchips so I'm informed. And see a variety of haulage traction on its way to sunny South Wales

post-9901-0-19290600-1405803260_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Keen to hear from locals with pictures of the train running, info etc, and more inspirational pictures of the plant itself as the setting for the back scene. A large amount of walthers cornerstone kits should do the trick there.

A trip to Adrian and peters emporium, on Penarth road yesterday revealed that rocking horse doo is in greater abundance than Bachmann poly bulks. So here endeth the tentative fact finding mission.

There would not be a great deal of stock variety on this project, but as I'm more interested in the research and model building than the operation that is not a draw back.......( anyone who can model waungron halt is obviously not phased by restricted operational value.)

But anyway here are a few more images of the stock movements on the dock and the chemical plant that would in some way need partial replicating.

( on a good day the prevailing wind blows the delightful white cloud over picturesque Dinas Powys, then onto Penarth, where on a Monday afternoon the 3pm emergency siren is sounded and can be heard around five miles away. What joy.)

post-9901-0-17948500-1405805162_thumb.jpg

post-9901-0-81672800-1405805184_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The next picture gives a good skyline shot from the left is the container terminal and Jewsons, and rank Hovis,

The plant features quite prominently and behind the palisade fencing a class 66 with its train can be just glimpsed as it heads back toward David Davies way, and off the Dock.

post-9901-0-69786200-1405805369_thumb.jpg

Passed the container terminal today and called in on the off chance to arrange a visit.....

Spoke to a very, very nice man who advised I call back around 09.00 on Friday 15th aug. As this is the next scheduled arrival of the poly bulks attached to the containers.

Should get some nice shots as long as I can get a winky few hours off.

You forget very quickly what you saw only a few years ago, but thankfully others caught the same things on film. A few more of the traction shots of movements in recent times on the dock,

Ranging from coal blending into containers, to TEA tank movements

More homework as I ascertain what was in the various flows,

It won't be so boring as I thought.

Simms have ceased trading scrap on the dock now, and the back of the train is my normal view when buying timber at Brunos, on the Woodhams units near to Harris Pye marine,

The head shunt/ loop image is again what you see early mornings travelling back off the dock from the stone recycling tip on the foreshore.

There seem to be two separate container flows; the 20' 'bulk' containers are for the silica traffic, and work with the Polybulks, but do you have any idea what might be in the others?

The pressurised tanks (shown behind the 56) used to bring vinyl chloride monomer from BP at Baglan Bay, and possibly elsewhere.  

Yo !

The picture of the Cl.60 sitting in Dunne Bros. scrapyard  (featured in Post No.17) was taken by yours truly !

( I lost the original set of photos, when my computer suffered a fatal crash before I could store them on my seperate hard drive )

I have some more shots of the area - I'll have to check.

Brian R (aka 'big brother)

The pressurised tanks (shown behind the 56) used to bring vinyl chloride monomer from BP at Baglan Bay, and possibly elsewhere.  

I recall the excrement hitting the  air circulation device one evening when one of the tanks derailed at Cadoxton, albeit I don't think it was the Baglan Bay service..

There may be references on-line.

Brian R

I recall the excrement hitting the  air circulation device one evening when one of the tanks derailed at Cadoxton, albeit I don't think it was the Baglan Bay service..

There may be references on-line.

Brian R

I think there may also have been traffic from Partington (Manchester).

Brother, a few to get you started.

A shot across the dock of the Rank / Hovis facility - Polybulks were handled here in the 'Speedlink' era, with grain from East Anglia - usually in one's or two's.

And two shots of 09003 'Tattoo' shunting 17th. April 2003.

If you want some more, let me know.

Big Bro Bri.

post-1599-0-89056600-1406655289_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-18130100-1406655392_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-67098400-1406655413_thumb.jpg

Edited by br2975
  • Like 4