Vopak Chemical Complex, Barry docks terminal.

naturol

For the time being in going to use the actual street name, so, Wimbourne road, it is.

Road markings have been roughed onto the Tarmac, and the ballast has been cleaned from the track, it will be weathered and cleaned.

Off the layout I have drawn up the cutting list for the enclosure to box in the layout, the layout can not exceed 450mm in total height as it won't fit out the loft hatch.

I used MDF on Ranelagh bridge which was ok for the first few months, but it quickly started to fray on the corners with the dragging in and out of hire vans to get to shows, so I'm not sure it ifs the way forward now, so it's back to ply, but the thin sheets are not as flat as I'd like, so the hunt is on.

post-9901-0-64094900-1433099883_thumb.jpg

post-9901-0-54925000-1433099919_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Spent the evening adding decals to the tanktainers, next stop weathering.

Commissioned a Hornby 60 and a Bachmann 66 from Peter and Adrian, they are sticking sound in them and weathering them up, also sourcing a grey 09 for shunting.

Will be starting on the base boards soon.

Took the back scene images today. Set up the tripod on the roof of my fiesta, and then stood up there as well to get a clear view over the palisade fencing.

Next job to take my nephew up on his offer to stich them together.

Some images to follow soon.

• Like 1

Sound good Paul. Bet that's gonna cost you a few pennies (loco wise) lol.

Good old fashioned bartering, but I no longer have a 1970s train set anymore.......

• Like 1

Hello Paul,

A very interesting layout there chap, thanks for showing it and showing the likes of me that the current scene can be most entertaining.

Now I feel like getting my own little 'industrial' set up going again!

Cheers and keep up the great work,

John E.

• RMweb Gold

The cynical side of me wonders what they have to hide

I think this should be the mission statement for your new company - 

We want the communities where our facilities are located to be great places to live, work, grow and play. So we reach out to our neighbours and work with local educators, civic groups, charities and community leaders to advance education and improve the quality of life for all - except model railway enthusiasts, we don't like them and will bring the full force of our corporate might to squash the little blighters.

• Like 4

Very nice, detailed looking layout.

I'm always amazed at others patience at making structures like that - I don't have very much which is why I haven't finished a layout in 15 years of trying

A strange set up indeed, does this mean that the American parent company will be suing Atlas in the near future for producing rtr tank cars!

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/150-20003169

Dow Chemical DOWX #40040 (gray)
Walthers Part # 150-20003169

HO scale,

$36.95, not currently in stock at Walthers, Expected: 30-Jun-2015adv_res.gif

Mark Saunders

• Like 2

Silicone imPlant. 36DD. Toxic , cow snoring, Barry Plastics, are but a few that have been suggested locally.

Day on the AutoCAD. Three extensions to draw up. And time to map out the cutting list for the scenery box and lighting pelmet.

Off to B &Q for some precision timber action.

Recent purchases will see 10 C Rail 30' bulk containers arrive, and some EFE merc. Minibuses from flea bay for CJ rentals.

( ask my brother about the parking fine they passed his way following our exhibiting Ranelagh bridge at Derby.)

Whilst I save for a new NCE powercab, I've repaired the lead to my Bachmann dynamis, so will try and fire the layout up this weekend.

Spoke to Peter at L and B, progress being made on my cl66, 60, and 09.

post-9901-0-10097900-1434557588_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

A B&Q trade card made light work of the two sheets of 1/4" ply, cut into 30 pieces for £30.00.

Awaiting my nephew who has kindly offered to stitch the back scene images together on photoshop.

Good progress.

• Like 1

Awaiting my nephew who has kindly offered to stitch the back scene images together on photoshop.

The prototype "Cow Dorning" complex will be a new housing estate or themem park by then....................

It's coming on well, I'm looking forward to the day we can expect to see this one in the flesh. How is it from an operator point of view?

Im expecting long periods of boredom on a Sunday afternoon at exhibitions, it is somewhat restricted in its appeal as an operator.

But. I intend running lots of non prototypical stock, like a Bachmann MPV with a pair of frets as a trial working delivering tanktainers.

The infrequent inspection saloon being propelled into the yard.

A DB working with vans of palletised goods for the nearby tank farm.

An avonmouth and severnside spotters special in a pacer, doing mileage bashing on freight only lines.

So there is room for some play value moments.

First outing is at the cardiff show in October.

Chris Nevard coming to take pictures in September so a bit of a push now through the evenings.

Hopefully an article in Model rail around Christmas and if it lights a spark possibly some invites next year.

Nice job for your brother baby sitting beer............

• Like 6

.....he's a true hero. I may have to think about idolising him.

I like the idea of the MPV with frets, welsh logging style! Are you going to try and add anything custom to the MPV for it of just have tanks on the frets? Incase you weren't already aware, there was a trial of something similar from Southampton very briefly once, although I've never seen any pictures of it. The limiting factor is the MPV deck is too high for normal containers to fit within loading gauge, however there has been reduced height tanks on various chemical flows in the past that may be ok.

.The limiting factor is the MPV deck is too high for normal containers to fit within loading gauge, however there has been reduced height tanks ook.

I've tried Wikipedia, Gareth Bayer, flickr, various search words but can't find any info for me to model the containers. Thought about a crail HO tanktainers, but it would be low, but not the right width or length, so I could try and chop a crail OO kit but a picture would be handy.

But now I've started it'll bug the king kongs finger out of me.....

Ha ha! They actually look similar to the tanks that come on the MPV anyway, I.e. no frame work around the top, just mounting points at the bottom. I have pictures in books, but I'll have an internet search when I get a chance and post what I find.

Of course the other joy of ISO standards is does it have to be tanks on the MPV? For example 1 end of the welsh wood experiment had 2 special made 20ft log carriers mounted on that were designed to fit in the loading gauge (if I remember correctly the other end just had 2 water tanks on for ballast). In your scenario, it could be possible for the MPV to carry half height open top containers (which do exist!) Filled with 55gallon barrels or similar.

http://www.matts-place.com/intermodal/part2/images/opentops/dnvu2040244.jpg

Other half heights are available, scroll down to the relevant section on this page:

http://www.matts-place.com/intermodal/part2/opentops.htm

I hope that helps, and I'll keep an eye out for those tanks for you.

Postman left a nice treat..... Ten C Rail 30' bulk container kits, yippee. That's an hour of ME time sorted.

Off to the NEON newport Gwent club show, at Cleppa park tomorow. might i see some of you there ?

Had a fantastic day, spent it with my son Elliot, went to the newport show saw some cracking layouts, but Baz and his shepcote lane tippler will take some beating as a cracking work of modelling art.

Had a Father's Day gift of. 4 Hornby OBA wagons ready for the concrete layout to follow.

But the shard , pinnacle, top, big kahoona point was a trip to the newport transporter bridge. And a trip across and up and over it.

For only £4.50 for the pair of us we spent about two hours in awe at this structure, highly recommended to all of you to come down and experience a fantastic industrial treasure.post-9901-0-74198900-1434829082_thumb.jpg

Taken prior to crossing.post-9901-0-34436700-1434829108_thumb.jpg

Taken the best part of 300' up on the main gantry.

• Like 11

Bit of a spending spree this end.....

Ordered some plain white Oxford die cast transit vans for the CJ contract hire yard.

I have sourced the odd minibus from a swap meet, and now two merc. Mini busses from EFE are en route but will need to be respray end.

I have been in touch with Steve at Rail Tec transfers to see if we can commission the art work for some CJ hire transfers for the vans and minibuses, hoping for a reply shortly.

I also cracked for an Oxford diecast container fret and dad tractor unit, but it may prove to be to large for the area I want to put it.

Whilst on eBay I found an old orange Cardiff bus, double decker Manchester mark, with " make an offer" so I did 1/3 off asking price and it was accepted, an impulse buy but there is a bus storage yard behind Jewsons with old cardiff buses in there that the bus enthusiasts seem to get pleasure out of doing up.......each to their own.

Brian Tucker of this fair parish is to be commissioned to weather the containers.

Pete Harvey of PH DESIGNS has a cracking container trailer fret that will look good in the terminal, but I can't solder, so I have approached some mates at the cardiff 4 mm club to assist, I'm hoping one will take up the challenge shortly and I can purchase the kit, see attached pictures.

The 30 bulk containers have been built, sprayed and transfers applied, the prototype uses 20' but I'm not going to hack them about, I can live with the compromise.

post-9901-0-26422100-1434997119_thumb.jpg

In your scenario, it could be possible for the MPV to carry half height open top containers (which do exist!) Filled with 55gallon barrels or similar.

http://www.matts-place.com/intermodal/part2/images/opentops/dnvu2040244.jpg

Cracking idea. I'm going to have a bash at four of the open top crates as in this picture from your link.

Cheers, great help.post-9901-0-80713100-1434997446_thumb.jpgpost-9901-0-80713100-1434997446_thumb.jpg

• Like 1