Vopak Chemical Complex, Barry docks terminal.

naturol

Ooooh. Transits from Oxford commercials, plus two container trailers, mini buses from EFE all turned up.

Email from railtec transfers, they are endeavouring to make me some transfers for the CJ contract hire.

Dropped the plasticard and the drawings for the container opens to Wattsy for him to cut out.

Containers and gas tanks have gone to be weathered.

But.......

Disappointing news from the organisers of the cardiff show where the layout is to debut, the rugby World Cup hits cardiff the same weekend and there is no accommodation available. So this years festivities are cancelled. I got the email earlier.

But, as one door closes another opens.

Working with Peter at Lord and Butler models me and 2975. ( brian) we are looking to promote a small show which will fill the void in the calendar, no dates or location yet but around 8-12 layouts have offered their operators to assist.

So, follow progress of this interesting development either here, or on a thread to follow, we intend to promote all the layouts well in advance.

Paul.

• Like 3

Started an info thread on the knuckle yard/ exchange sidings/ stabling point/ wagon repair facility near Margam.

yard

I will drop in the link shortly as it fell off the mouse.

But. Here are a few of the loco shots ( not on the thread.) posted here coz this is what I would like to run this thread, but, I know the 60 will be maroon army livery, beggars can't be choosers,post-9901-0-37451300-1435431086.jpg

Elliot being dragged around by his dad again, on another industrial outing......

( we did go to "the busy tea pot " and to the waterfalls at Pontneddfechan,

( where I salvaged a 3' length of 180 year old tramway track from the river which is now in the garage.) so a balanced day out.

post-9901-0-37451300-1435431086.jpgpost-9901-0-74014000-1435431108.jpgpost-9901-0-26531600-1435431127.jpg

Surprised to see so much motive power stabled up . And to get the pictures.post-9901-0-08253200-1435431151.jpgpost-9901-0-48829300-1435431365.jpg

What will " bet fred" give me for the DBS security machine to kick in and ask how I got the pictures,?

• Like 1

Started enquiring about the photo back scene printing.

I was given the details of a printer in Pontypridd, called GIcleer masters.

http://www.gicleemasters.co.uk/index.html

I have emailed them and await a reply.

I'm after an image approx 8' long by about 10" high, ( or longer if possible.)

What should I expect to pay?

Ordered back scene from a different supplier, Beacon printers, penarth, 12'x 10" should have it this coming week.

Ordered a pair of European Polybulks of Ebay by jouef, for variety.

Stripped the EFE merc minibuses apart and re sprayed in White, will post images off to Rail Tec for info for them to make up my vinyls for the side of the hire fleet.

Been making more brambles for the front of the layout and more little grass tufts, these are the long boring bits.

Need to consider sourcing warning signs and posters for the chemical plant and road sigh age. I think scale scenes do some.

• Like 1

Good choice on Jouef Polybulks. Word of warning, other Jouef wagons I've picked up have wheel flanges that'd make Lima look finescale! That's why i went for the almost identical Rivarossi hoppers, I'll be interested to see if your hoppers are similar, replacement wheelsets should be easy enough to find though.

Picked up a proof of the backscene, dropped it in place for a pre view.

Looks ok, the rest may have problems lining up the picture scene with layout details.

So, to assist, I think I may overlay an image of a Stolt tanker ship to the left hand end on the dock side.

post-9901-0-04242000-1436301830.jpg

post-9901-0-83445900-1436301855_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hopefully will pick up the frets of plasticard for the 4' low level containers tomorow,

Found this image on the inter web of the low level containers on an MPV

And the backscene, asked a pal Danemouth if he could assist with some photoshopping of the STOLT tanker.

post-9901-0-45216100-1436302777_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Jouef grain hoppers turned up. Yippee. I can live with the 1:87 difference. Hardly noticeable against my Bachman 37 or 08.

And at less than £20 each new I feel well stoked.

Backscene image on hold till tomorow. Asked for a few amendments.

post-9901-0-59879600-1436382484_thumb.jpg

post-9901-0-10640000-1436382498_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Agree. Wheels seem ok and the couplers come with a NEM box, so my Kadees just popped in.

That's good then, looks like you got a nice updated model there. The ones with 'transcereals' written on did make their way back to the UK at one point despite looking very European with that on the side!

Got the nod from brian Tucker, my tanktainers and boxes will be weathered up and ready to collect this weekend,

He's also weathering the Bachmann polybulks and the Roco gas tanks.

Seen a few proofs of the backscene with a Stolt gas tanker coaster added, looks the part now.

Might even use the Stolt terminal as the name instead of " THAT " other one.

Simon I stuck the " bellend " vinyls on your car Watts, has finished the low level container sides so I had an hour glueing them up.

Not perfect the old alignment but let's see when it's got a coat of primer and some extra detail added.

post-9901-0-79174700-1436476906_thumb.jpg

post-9901-0-76530200-1436476919_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Sprayed up the low level boxes, and stripped the jouef polybulks of the cereal based logos,

Dropped a bit of a b'lock, the Bachmann MPV has an electrical coupler between the units. Not sure yet how to introduce a pair of frets into the consist.

post-9901-0-52698600-1436563309_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Superb, really spot on. I've followed thread since inception. A super layout.

I knew the area when I worked on the railway based at Cardiff in the mid 90s, as Ops Manager. I remember well the Vinyl Chlorine Monomer bogie tank wagons (the NACCO vehicles) for the plant we can't mention and they used to arrive on 6V30(?) Burn Naze to Barry - invariably with a 56 on the front. Plus I recollect a BR general livery shunt loco (08 or 09) working a large single TIA bogie tank wagon - owned by Tiphook spotted on multiple occasions when I'd drive through the docks going to or from the plant. Your layout captures the feel of the area exceptionally well.

I see a few entries ago, comments about the freight MPV were made - it operated in 2001 - I was involved as to making it happen as Regional Freight manager for Railtrack - it ran Bulmers of Hereford to Willesdon as a trial with EWS mega fret wagons loaded with 8ft 6in high containers - the mega frets wagons have a deck height of 825 mil above rail height. I don't recollect the MPV running in freight out of Southampton but could be wrong - there was definitely a trial freight flow to Southampton with tank lorry trailers of cement ex Westbury.

Of course there was a separate trip working in the 90s to bring the IRB wagons (poly bulks) to the plant - normally hauled by an RfD 47, which had previously bought in the overnight Wembley Newport AD Jn trunk train of European traffic, after divvying up the wagons it would trundle to Barry (Tues and Thurs only?) - albeit I recollect the 08 would haul the last leg Cadoxton to the plant.

As I say - well done. Paul

Superb, really spot on. I've followed thread since inception. A super layout.

I knew the area when I worked on the railway based at Cardiff in the mid 90s, as Ops Manager. I remember well the Vinyl Chlorine Monomer bogie tank wagons (the NACCO vehicles) for the plant we can't mention and they used to arrive on 6V30(?) Burn Naze to Barry - invariably with a 56 on the front. Plus I recollect a BR general livery shunt loco (08 or 09) working a large single TIA bogie tank wagon - owned by Tiphook spotted on multiple occasions when I'd drive through the docks going to or from the plant. Your layout captures the feel of the area exceptionally well.

I see a few entries ago, comments about the freight MPV were made - it operated in 2001 - I was involved as to making it happen as Regional Freight manager for Railtrack - it ran Bulmers of Hereford to Willesdon as a trial with EWS mega fret wagons loaded with 8ft 6in high containers - the mega frets wagons have a deck height of 825 mil above rail height. I don't recollect the MPV running in freight out of Southampton but could be wrong - there was definitely a trial freight flow to Southampton with tank lorry trailers of cement ex Westbury.

Of course there was a separate trip working in the 90s to bring the IRB wagons (poly bulks) to the plant - normally hauled by an RfD 47, which had previously bought in the overnight Wembley Newport AD Jn trunk train of European traffic, after divvying up the wagons it would trundle to Barry (Tues and Thurs only?) - albeit I recollect the 08 would haul the last leg Cadoxton to the plant.

As I say - well done. Paul

The Southampton trials were of a type of 'pocket' wagon carrying purpose-built tank and curtain-side containers of cement from Blue Circle at Westbury; they ran as a conventional loco-hauled formation, but were part of the same handful of SRA-sponsored trials as the MPV ones. As soon as a decent period had elapsed, the wagons went to mainland Europe, whilst the trailers were absorbed into the Blue Circle fleet.

The NACCO-owned IRBs remain in service, though they now work as part of a fortnightly block working from France; the rest of the train comprises 'Eurotwin' IFA container flats, each wagon loaded with two 20' 'Bulktainers', generally in unbranded dark blue or green livery. These containers also carry bulk silica, but from a different source in the Alps to the Polybulks.

I recollect a BR general livery shunt loco (08 or 09) working a large single TIA bogie tank wagon - owned by Tiphook spotted on multiple occasions when I'd drive through the docks going to or from the plant.

These were used in Acrylonitrile traffic and would work to South Wales on the rear of the 6V14 Saltend-Baglan Bay Acetic Acid tanks. The bogie tank would be detached in Britton Ferry yard and tripped to the dock.

Before these were built (around 1989 IIRC) a small pool of BP class A two axle TTAs were used. One of these can be seen in Private Owner Wagons In Colour by David Ratcliffe p65.

These were used in Acrylonitrile traffic and would work to South Wales on the rear of the 6V14 Saltend-Baglan Bay Acetic Acid tanks. The bogie tank would be detached in Britton Ferry yard and tripped to the dock.

Before these were built (around 1989 IIRC) a small pool of BP class A two axle TTAs were used. One of these can be seen in Private Owner Wagons In Colour by David Ratcliffe p65.

Herewith the Tiphook tanks:-

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/tiphookacrylic/h37550089#h37550089

I think the model looks great.

If you are modelling something like an industrial area with limited operation, you have to get the detail spot on to make it interesting and you have definitely done that !