Vopak Chemical Complex, Barry docks terminal.

naturol

Based on the flurry of photos and additional inspiration, more thought has been put into the track plan,

Working on the idea of an end to end, but with a full scenic section, and needing to have a representation of the 180deg curves on the dock, curving the boards makes more sense.

Four boards stacked on top of each other's in pairs makes for a more practical transporting option, and protects them in storage.

Working on around 14' x 7' as the display gives a fair spectator view from the front.

The single fiddle track / yard is hidden behind the Dow chemical yard beneath blue steel clad buildings not dis- similar to the Pikestuff offerings. ( represented by the green line. )

The container terminal would be set on the second board from the left at the front, using a stack of containers 4 high as a long scenic break helping to obscure the fiddle yard entry.

The head shunt loop, is only partially modelled to restrict movement, and is set on the first board from the left, with the dock access road and security barriers modelled. To the right of the lines and on the inside edge of the board by the operator would be a representation of the dock side with the Stolt chemical discharge facility for ships.

A minibus hire company is set on board two where the line splits off to the fiddle yard, opposite the container terminal.

A photgraphic back scene of the area is an option. And in line with my current modelling to restrict vision into the layout there would be a frontice panel with large letter box style opening into which the spectator would observe.

post-9901-0-43550600-1406665554_thumb.jpg

For those unaware of the area, the branch currently in use leaves the Cardiff - Barry line just west of Cadoxton (pronounced by locals as CadUXTUN not CadOXton !!) and running west and parallel to the main line drops down and near Barry Dock station describes a 180' curve to turn back east, crossing Woodham Road on the level then runs eat alongside the dock before passing through the site of the short lived Dunne Bros. scrapyard, over another level crossing and then describing another 180' curve to reach the south side of the dock.

The branch ended in two sidings alongside one of the dock roads and formed a loop, but at the time of these photos the main line loco on the trip from Newport ADJ was uncoupled from the train and ran forward to the blocks.

The Cl.08/09 was normally stabled on the dockside adjacent to the Rank-Hovis silo - and this then ran out, crossed the road and took half of the train onto the dock, where the containers were unloaded, most going by road into the Dow Corning site.

The shunter would then fetch the other half of the train onto the dockside, allowing the main line loco to be released and stable out of the way, as the shunter then placed the wagons (with empty containers, or no containers) back into the loop that wasn't a loop and then it retired to the dockside and shut down.

The main line loco then dropped back onto the train and returned to Newport ADJ.

These manoeuvres could take all morning.

The following ten photos are dated August 2002 - but I am not 100% that the date is correct.

The locos involved are 37402 'Bont Y Bermo' and 09003 'Tattoo'

1...37402 approaches Woodham Road crossing. The Cardiff - Barry line is above and behind the loco.

2...37402 runs east along the north side of the dock.

3...37402 negotiates the thid road crossing as it approaches the south side of the dock

4...37402 having uncoupled from its train stands almost at the blocks. The crossover that formed the loco release or the loop can be seen in te foreground - rusty for August.

5...09003 stabled as it awaits the arrival of 37402.

Five more shots in the next post.

Brian R

Cardiff

post-1599-0-19992000-1406747582_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-25867100-1406747602_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-79588800-1406747622_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-07372300-1406747646_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-94833200-1406747670_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Continuing on from the previous post .......

No.6... 09003 emerges from its lair on the quayside and cautiously approaches level crossing No.4. The tail end of 37402s train is in the foreground.

No.7...09003 crosses the road with the shunte sporting some snazzy shades.

No.8...09003 couples onto the rear half of the train - 37402 is just visible in the far distance.

No.9...09003 propels the one half of the train across level crossing No.4 and ono the south arm of the dock.

No.10...with 37402 having been released, 09003 marshalls the return train.

Hope these help explain the working as it was then.

The pilot duty here was later withdrawn and the train engine performed the shunting.

Brian R

Cardiff

post-1599-0-11236600-1406747979_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-35945500-1406747996_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-74548900-1406748014_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-30111700-1406748034_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-92237500-1406748056_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

To broaden the horizon, and to evaluate whether this could be restrictive and limited on the stock front, I have broadened the scope to consider if I could include the mainline passing at Cadoxton / Barry dock. Where the branch descends beneath the new Millenium by pass close to the Barry docks offices of the Vale of Gloom council, with the statue of David Davies outside. The google maps picture does not clearly show the differing levels not only of the running lines but also the elevated nature of Dock View road, high above.

post-9901-0-47912100-1406913306_thumb.jpg

Was shown a copy of model railroader this week by my big brother. In it was a uk model of VA coal hauling short line. Called Joachin . Virginia, set in the Appalachian mountains. I haven't searched yet to see if it's on the forum, but wanted to comment on its design.

Taking a very strong influence from the likes of Castle Works, with a folded figure 8 shape. But enlarged to be 10' x 6' this has an outer main line with an inner branch changing level before leaving the layout and entering the fiddle yard . See picture.

Well.... Could this be adapted to suit cadoxton, with the line dropping down onto the dock feeding Dow. Disappearing under the millenium by pass fly over as pictured above /previously.

The retaining wall is great for graffiti, and the cliff bank to dock view road is the ideal back scene.

This now has the option of more varied long train lengths, around 18' max . That's an impressive rake of MGRs, to aberthaw. And a believable container train also.

But no shunting........... What would appeal most to the viewing public?

post-9901-0-06274500-1407015768_thumb.jpg

And to really raise an eyebrow a rail tour on the loop next to rank Hovis.

A 47 shunting poly bulks, and a refurb 60 there really is diversity on this branch.

Some c rail tanktainers from DC kits. Would really add detail to the scene.

Personally I like the roundy roundy concept more for trains, but the shunting layout for the structures.

So I'm stuffed now.

post-9901-0-70935600-1407016171_thumb.jpg

post-9901-0-92621700-1407016196_thumb.jpg

post-9901-0-27077200-1407016218_thumb.jpg

post-9901-0-12768500-1407016302_thumb.jpg

A nice but dated Aries shot of cadoxton, the two 180deg loops, the dock and the head shunt loops, intertwined with an enormous network or coal exporting railway infrastructure

post-9901-0-07077500-1407272921_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ying and yang day.

Work commitments would not allow me time to spend all morning at the terminal today, only managed an hour between 08.30-09.30

But saw the train arrive from cadoxton, descend onto the dock and perform it's first few shunting moves, hauled by a 66 the train comprised of 8 no of loaded twin frets, then a single poly bulk, followed by 6 no twin frets again loaded, and then three poly bulks, with a single, twin fret on the end,

The whole train was initially split within the confines of the old scrap terminal of Dunn bros, with the three poly bulks and the last twin fret left prior to the loop that is in the part of the dock, the remaining train, 8 twins and the single poly bulk were then drawn onto the 180 deg curve then the same were reversed back onto the other line of the loop and the single poly bulk removed and left, the train then pulled back into the 180 deg curve, at this point I was forced to abandoned my spotting and return to gainful employment, albeit with around 30 images on my Samsung phone as I had no camera,

Tonight I attempted to download the images onto my PC only to have it decline the process, doh.

But the pictures are secure and will make interesting posts at some point in the future.

• 4 weeks later...

Bored with parcel point so spending an hour on here instead,

I acquired some peco code 100 track a while ago which has been stashed away, so today was a suitable day to have a rough out of the main yard area to see if it will fit on a standard 4' x 2' board. Here is the first attempt.post-9901-0-19425400-1410720336_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Very interesting read.

I think this has great potential - and of course it's applicable across a wide time era if you want to run alternate stock. It's also heartening to see freight doing well in wales and , god knows, there's not a lot of inspiration with modern freight most of the time.

Watching with interest

Very interesting read.

I think this has great potential - and of course it's applicable across a wide time era if you want to run alternate stock. It's also heartening to see freight doing well in wales and , god knows, there's not a lot of inspiration with modern freight most of the time.

Watching with interest

Summed up the plot well. Got to try and do it justice now, as it's only a 5 min drive from my home and I drive through the dock at least twice a week, the ground work should be relatively easy.

Took my boy out yesterday and introduced him to the joy of collecting research on modelling topics, photography reconnaissance at Barry docks.

It lost something in the adult to juvenile translation as he picked up his retro game boy and sank into a digital trance and left me on my tod.

Here are some of the shots taken of the structures adjacent to the line as it turns the 180deg toward the loop by Jewson and the dock security cabin.

post-9901-0-62608300-1411332647_thumb.jpg

post-9901-0-71430600-1411332664_thumb.jpg

post-9901-0-23927200-1411332682_thumb.jpg

post-9901-0-08793300-1411332702_thumb.jpg

post-9901-0-79059100-1411332718_thumb.jpg

Those of you familiar with the old ASW steel works in Cardiff will see the similarity with the overhead pipe work, a great feature to give height to the layout, as to the amount of palisade fencing, the crossing will look good with working lights. And the containers make for the scenic break to obscure the fiddle yard exit,

The actual line can be seen in the third picture swinging off through the bushes.

I bought the last Kalmar turquoise reach stacker at L and B on Saturday as well.

The containers will prove a costly outset, contemplated butter flying them open to make two, in the stack, pricing them up I need to allocate about about a tenner each yipes.

But you get four in a Bachmann twin get and that's only £30 odd quid, so that might be the way ahead.

Parcel point operations are now terminated and Dow will replace it as the winter project.

Could be some amendments to the design, the idea of an L shape is different and suits the layout drawn so far, but it's not very practical to set up and operate at home, with the impending demolition of the current railway work area, the garage, space will be at a premium until the new granny annex is built and used as the temp. Railway room.

The shape was further highlighted when a potential purchaser of Parcel,point commented that the 12' x2' shape was perfect for the average modeller in a conventional home. So I think the L is floundering in the shallow water now........

Anyway I have acquired some additional pictures of the shunting track mobile which also give a good insight into the industrial buildings and unloading facility in close proximity, let's just get out the cornerstone catalogue for suitable chemical infrastructure and I guess the Pikestuff HO blue factory units as the basis for the structures.

I removed the cobalt DCC point motors from Parcel point prior to it departing to pastures new in Essex, so all the track, points and motors are ready, bought a reach stacker, and how dull was I, I offloaded my rake of Bachmann container frets back last Christmas on eBay, and now I end up buying another two sets......

Set about changing the boards and the track plan to make it more conventional, and able to fit in doors and not the garage,(to be demolished)

So here is the sketch of the amended layout,

Ref container stack backgrounds, when printed out with no scaling the containers on this site size perfectly at 4mm scale. I've seen it used very effectively with a stack mounted on some foam board as part of a back scene on another layout. A lot cheaper and quicker than cutting up the required number of models which instead can be used closer to the front of the layout as scenic items.

Edit: just noticed I forgot the link. Gimme a minute...

Edited by Satan's Goldfish
  • Like 1