Vopak Chemical Complex, Barry docks terminal.

naturol

Little progress this week, with me and me bro' travelling to shows, Stafford last weekend, and Doncaster next, to those who came up and chatted and introduced yourselves, Hi, it's good to put a face to an avatar.

I studied Farkham layout at some length and found their rolling stock outstanding, ( the layout is first class all over, but the stock was just awesome,)

As a result I intend to have a go at building some of my own again, whilst it may not, to my knowledge have run onto the dock, I am going to have a bash at a few KTA pocket wagons,

I have drawn up the sides base, end panels and cross members, and will now forward these to,,,,, yes you guessed it. To have them cut from styrene on the laser,

post-9901-0-90312500-1422906802_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I only popped in to have a quick chat......yeah......whatever,

And by chance, simon had a chance to draw up and print out the bottom and sides of the pocket wagon.

So should I get ten mins, I will glue it up this week.post-9901-0-43850200-1423001893_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Looks great Paul, can't wait to see it in person.

Message me the next time your over the bridge visiting L&B and if I'm available call in, the layouts in the loft and set up, so at short notice you can inspect whilst consuming a warm beverage curtosy of Liz.

Cheers Ben.

Paul.

• Like 1

I will use Kadees, and a set f Bachmann y25 bogies, as they are easy.......

Need to scratch the air tanks and various rods on the end sections from scrap next,

But that'll be another day.

Paul.

Impressive stuff.

However I have to ask why you're creating a pocket wagon this way and not going with the existing Dapol option? A good model project and more likely to be seen there would be the FAA Thrall tilt wagon, a different type of container well wagon for high cube containers and used by ews/dbs as opposed to the KTA which is freightliner. And it's not available rtr, don't know anyone that's attempted a scratch build either.

Impressive stuff.

However I have to ask why you're creating a pocket wagon this way and not going with the existing Dapol option? A good model project and more likely to be seen there would be the FAA Thrall tilt wagon, a different type of container well wagon for high cube containers and used by ews/dbs as opposed to the KTA which is freightliner. And it's not available rtr, don't know anyone that's attempted a scratch build either.

Good point,

If the truth be known, my buddy with the laser, has had a new one installed at his place of work, which is a significant upgrade on the last, and he asked for a more complicated project,

having a genesis kit to hand I was able to take some measurements straight from their offering as a tester.

i will do some research this end and get back with something.

• Like 1

Further to brother satan's comments I report as follows.

A troll through the Gareth Bayer wagon site reveals a splendid choice of originals to replicate, a search on the web also unearths a set of detail plans from Astra rail.

But, what a bl..dy boring looking wagon.

Wattsy says he can cut it out tomorow if I can get him a set of plans tonight, so.....

I've drawn one up but at 1:76 so will have to rescale that as 1:1 for the laser cutter.

Attached are the details used so far and the CAD drawing of parts.

post-9901-0-58889400-1423160624_thumb.jpg

post-9901-0-44899700-1423160687_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I look forward to seeing how this 1 comes out, if possible I may be interested in some myself......I just can't remember when they came into service! Nice one.

Edit: answer my own query, they were built 98/99.

Edited by Satan's Goldfish

Message me the next time your over the bridge visiting L&B and if I'm available call in, the layouts in the loft and set up, so at short notice you can inspect whilst consuming a warm beverage curtosy of Liz.

Cheers Ben.

Paul.

Yeah I will do Paul, thanks very much.

Picked up the laser frets of the FAA s last Friday, first chance to glue them up.

Got some rectangular buffers from Lanarkshire models, and some kade's at the Doncaster show.

Will fabricate the air brake gear from scrap and wire.

Quite pleased for my first bash, will need some liquid lead inside the frames as it's very very light.post-9901-0-92428700-1423774211_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Satan likes! What bogies are you using?

I am lead to believe they should be a Y33, but Bachmann do a Y25 as a set of accessory spares, so it'll be these that it'll roll on.

I have some channel and the spare locks from a Bachmann container twin to fit on the sides, it's a narrow wagon like the prototype, the containers overhang and create quite a look.

• Like 1

I am lead to believe they should be a Y33, but Bachmann do a Y25 as a set of accessory spares, so it'll be these that it'll roll on.

I have some channel and the spare locks from a Bachmann container twin to fit on the sides, it's a narrow wagon like the prototype, the containers overhang and create quite a look.

The bogies that Bachmann sell as Y25s are in fact Y33s- they're the ones fitted to their 'Eurotwin' intermodal wagons.

I am a thousand miles away from any knowledge on the matter, thank you Brian,

In which case as I cut out three sets of parts I'll buy some more bogies now from L and B, when next there.

As I model OO I'm more than happy to accept compromise even by mistake.

Paul.

Interesting stuff. I have 4 pairs of spare Bachmann Y25s and extras from their FIA pairs for twist locks already. What brand were the buffers you've found? And what are your coupling plans?

Attached is the bag of buffers I am using, and the suppliers.post-9901-0-71794600-1423853620_thumb.jpg

Whoever thought up "rik o shake" the trampolining exercise is a hero in my book.

My honey goes three times a week, and allows me two hours of me time each time. Yippee.

But...... The price is I'm paying for the night out and valentines tomorowo

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had my 50th birthday party last night, 4 weeks late, couldn't Fit it in earlier for two consecutive exhibitions, Valentine's and rugby.

But what a blast, fancy dress , 80s stylee, good to see some fellow RM webbers there, so thanks go to Wayne, and brian Tucker,

Also thanks to Peter Lord and to brian (2975) and their guests,

I am now the smiling owner of a fist full of L & B gift vouchers so progress can be made in earnest of the next few weeks,

Had to turn down an invite to the swansea show this autumn due to prior commitments, but have passed on the names of two cracking modellers whose names were on my guest list...... I'll scratch your back.......have been busy on the FAA spraying and building pipework so some pictures will be uploaded a little later.

post-9901-0-48818900-1424630696_thumb.jpg

Halfords Mazda red spray gives the maroon EWS shade, the FAA will be weathered down with plenty of track dirt brown.some transfers, and pipework next and then the Kadees.

post-9901-0-94842000-1424630833_thumb.jpg

The Trackmobile gets a run out.

post-9901-0-86181100-1424631018_thumb.jpgpost-9901-0-48085200-1424631034_thumb.jpg

Pipework and handrails attached.

Weathering down will I hope tone down the colours that appear quite stark,

• Like 6