NXEA!

Thought it was about time I started a new topic for a new project I'm working on. 

A few of you will remember that I had a previous topic for a planned layout which never got anywhere because I couldn't build decent baseboards. Out of frustration I sat back for a while and didn't make any plans to build a layout because of a lack of finance, despite the fact that I had a lot of stuff already, I had no money for some professional baseboards as any I attempted didn't work out. Anyway I was perusing the box file and micro layout section of RMWeb and came across a fantastic layout by the name of Portwey which I found really inspiring, but one I really took a liking to was Mike (the durham light infantry)'s Dunelm, as he had used the famous APA Box from Ikea.

It just so happened that I was taking a trip to Ikea for some furniture for my room at my new house, so back I came with two Ikea boxes, ready to splice together as per Mike's method. Unfortunately, some scrotes nicked my Stepfather's power saw so I couldn't splice the boxes together, and as I'm not particularly handy, I've gone down the carriage bolt method instead. I've had to compromise and keep the ends of the boxes together in the middle and knock through for structural integrity by putting the bolts through the top, as I couldn't squeeze the coach bolts in front of the back hardboard, otherwise I would've done that and sawn off the two ends! I don't mind though as this layout is more for my modelling mojo and testing skills and getting my first layout under my belt.  

Objectives are to keep wiring to a minimum, it'll be plug in and play for a while until I go back to do the wiring, I'm more interested in scenics and running trains if I'm honest, having primitive hand of god operation and basic wiring doesn't bother me.
Also, I want to use as much of what I've got as possible. That means no hand-built track as much as I'd love to experiment after seeing some of the fantastic track work on RMWeb, so Code 100 it is, but i'm sure I'll have no qualms about it if it's weathered and ballasted realistically.  
Finally I want this to be a fairly quick build as I'm off to HMS Sultan to train with Network Rail in September so I'd hope to have at least half of it done by then!  

As for the setting, I'm currently settled on the following scenario. The LCDR built a single track link from their mainline at Sydenham Hill to the LBSCR with a triangular junction at the down end of Forest Hill with an intermediate station at Sydenham Wells between the Golf Club and Sydenham Wells park, and it has a small freight yard which has survived under BR. Being a one station intermediate spur, this short line is more of a backwater but see's a healthy amount of traffic. Services are a half-hourly London Bridge-Blackfriars and v.v EPB worked service via New Cross Gate, Brockley, Honor Oak Park, Forest Hill, Sydenham Wells, Sydenham Hill, West Dulwich, Herne Hill, Loughborough Junction and Elephant & Castle, known to the crews that work it as the 'horseshoe' due to the shape of the route bearing a vague resemblance to a horseshoe.  :dontknow:  :D

Anyway, here are some photographs of it so far, showing the progress so far today.  

post-19647-0-01298300-1405806911_thumb.jpg 

The layout here once spliced together with carriage bolts. I used the front planks of wood from the frame which were redundant and chopped it into the required lengths to act as spacers for the 6mm ply topping. The 6mm ply I was intending to use as topping slightly sagged in the middle as I didn't realise the wood I used as spacers was actually 2mm out! A quick panic ensued and then I realised if I trimmed the redundant front hardboard panels and laid them over the spacers they were the perfect width to bridge the gap and ensure the ply was 100% flat! 

post-19647-0-16050300-1405806919_thumb.jpg 

Photograph showing the layout with it's ply topping, not glued down at the time I took the photo as I needed to trim it slightly!  

post-19647-0-24702100-1405806927_thumb.jpg 

Finally, ply all down and glued, and the boxes with their lids on. 

Tomorrow I'm hoping to get the track down and weathered, and I'm fitting Ikea LED lights to the lids! That's all for now.  

Regards, Emre 

:victory:

Did another odd job today which is to fit some Ikea LED Lights to the underside of the lids. I've also been playing around with track and come up with a track-plan. I'm a big fan of minimalism and think less is more is the way to do it, so I've tried to come up with something with a little bit of operating/shunting potential whilst not cramming too much in. I'm in two minds whether to keep the little headshunt/siding at the back, opinions anyone? Anyway, some photo's: 

post-19647-0-48279500-1405874203_thumb.jpg 

Overview of the box layout with lights. Haven't decided how to hide the wiring as of yet!  

post-19647-0-02326700-1405874209_thumb.jpg 

Inside the box with lights on, looking towards what will be the station end, and looking down the line in the Sydenham Hill direction.

I'm planning to test out my weather technique on the track later on, if I'm happy I'll most likely stick the track down either this evening/tomorrow and weather, with ballasting to follow next week as I've changed my mind on the colours of ballasts I want to blend and I need to order some new bags!  

Comments welcome!

Hello Emre

Glad you got something together and you can move forward with building something. You have demonstrated the versatility of the APA box, and circumvented your joinery phobia to get something you couldn't achieve by another route. Well done. Looking forward to seeing how this develops.

Mike

Mike,  

Thanks for the kind words, shame that I couldn't join the two boxes together your way and had to compromise, but I'm sure it'll look ok at the end of it! Hopefully we'll have an update on Dunelm soon?! (Hint hint!)  ;)

Had a crack at trying out weathering with some Railmatch aerosols. I used a scrap piece of track I had laying around as a tester, and I'd be grateful for any opinions as it's my first attempt at weathering anything!  

post-19647-0-80932100-1405886469_thumb.jpg

post-19647-0-84643600-1405886477_thumb.jpg 

Uploading issues sorted!  

Opinions/comments very much welcome! 

Mike,  

Thanks for the kind words, shame that I couldn't join the two boxes together your way and had to compromise, but I'm sure it'll look ok at the end of it! Hopefully we'll have an update on Dunelm soon?! (Hint hint!)  ;)

Hopefully I will update on or before Thirsk show next Sunday. My Wife asked this evening if I was going to put a canopy over the platform, I showed her the first bay of it this morning...

Mike

Had a crack at trying out weathering with some Railmatch aerosols. I used a scrap piece of track I had laying around as a tester, and I'd be grateful for any opinions as it's my first attempt at weathering anything!  

attachicon.giftrack 1.jpg

attachicon.giftrack 2.jpg

Uploading issues sorted!  

Looking good, but I think you need more definition between the rails and sleepers especially on such a small layout. Perhaps some pre painting of both, in contrasting colours (pre-shading) before a more general overspray to blend everything in.

Mike

Good to hear there's more coming Mike! And again thanks for the kind words, got any idea's on some definition? I did think the same, but I think it's the sleeper's that need a slightly lighter brown tinge IMO, the rails themselves look a good representation to my eye. 

attachicon.giftrack 1.jpg

attachicon.giftrack 2.jpg

Uploading issues sorted!  

Very good attempt at weathering.

Thank you Matt!

As for the contrast thing, I think I'm going to use a small amount of Dark Brown Richard Stacey modelling dust to put a little more contrast on the sleepers, as I should have some left over after I get round to ballasting.

Good to hear there's more coming Mike! And again thanks for the kind words, got any idea's on some definition? I did think the same, but I think it's the sleeper's that need a slightly lighter brown tinge IMO, the rails themselves look a good representation to my eye. 

Try going towards grey/brown for the sleepers, the sun bleached look.

Mike

How did you get the track to look like that, as I want to do that for any future projects that i might do?

If that's directed at me, I used Railmatch SleeperGrime sprayed all over, masked up the sleepers and sprayed the track with a shade of rust (can't quite remember which one) by RailMatch, and then sprayed more sleeper grime on after to try get some subtle hints of brown/red with the grime.

Try going towards grey/brown for the sleepers, the sun bleached look.

Mike

Thanks, I'll have a look at some photos of the prototype for inspiration before I revise the method.

My ballast bags and weathering powders have turned up today, so over the weekend and into next week I'll be getting the track down, weathered and ballasted fingers crossed. More as and when I go along. :yes:

Been busy over the last few days. Track was stuck down yesterday with some all purpose glue, and today I weathered it. I spent the last few days perusing flickr for inspiration, and I noticed almost every type of weathering variation on the sleepers, some were lighter than the track, some were darker, and some stations had the sleepers and the track a similar shade, probably brake dust. As I'm modelling a mainly station area, I decided to go with a similar shade.  

I've started to ballast, it's not finished but should be tomorrow, which is when I'll post some photographs. Anyway, here are two shots of what's been happening today: 

post-19647-0-41387800-1406494991_thumb.jpg 

And a teaser for tomorrow's update…  

post-19647-0-79842300-1406495035_thumb.jpg 

Comments and opinions welcome! 

Regards,  

Emre

A further update as promised.  

Another productive day layout wise. I finished the ballasting last night and weathered it today so its all finished. I also obtained some back scenematerial in the form of MDF from the Ridgeons off cut bin for £1.20! I've just finished cutting and shutting and you can see the glue in one or two of the photo's below!  

post-19647-0-48174600-1406574573_thumb.jpg

post-19647-0-48212900-1406574578_thumb.jpg

post-19647-0-23806200-1406574582_thumb.jpg 

If you're wondering why I've left some of the track this is because I'm planning to do the Chris Nevard modelling clay treatment.  

Unfortunately no more modelling as I'm away from now until the 9th, so no updates until then! 

Regards, 

Emre

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing to report as I've been on holiday, got back from Looe to Sudbury about 45 minutes ago! By chance I managed to see Met 1 and Sarah Siddons at Paddington this afternoon while waiting for the Circle Line which was nice, and the journey from Reading-Paddington was interesting, what with the Virgin diversions, 37706 on an ecs at Acton and various bits of freight.  :)  

Anyway, work on Sydenham Wells should restart in the next week, need to sort myself out a backscene, pick and order some good retaining walls, paint them, and knock up a SR concrete platform and paint it. More as I go along! :)

Wonderful idea Steve, but I don't do Faceache! Any chance you could possibly make it an open group so those of us that are interested but don't want to sign up can view? Don't worry if not!

• 10 months later...

A lot later than I would've liked, but an update, to those of you interested. The past year I've been away in Portsmouth on an apprenticeship for Network Rail, so I've barely been home, and thus I've had no time to work on the layout. I'm now in London, and my layout is in Suffolk, so I still can't work on it as much as I'd like, but over the past month I've managed to do a few bits and pieces as and when I visit my family. First of all, I snapped up some more APA boxes from eBay, as they're now discontinued. Whether they'll be for an eventual extension for this layout, or another project I don't know! I keep on thinking of doing a small layout with OHLE in the future, watch this space... 

As for Sydenham Wells itself, I've changed the construction slightly. I cut off the beams in the middle which had the carriage bolts going through them, and the two pieces of wood going from the base of the box to these beams, which has improved visibility and given more of a sense of space to the layout no end. I put the carriage bolts at the back of the box, so the strength of the 'baseboard', if you can call it that, is the same. A picture is here looking from the front:  

post-19647-0-93253800-1436470800_thumb.jpg

The one thing I need to do to finish that job off is to get to Ridgeons to get a small strip of wood to go along the front to support the APA box lids from the front, but I haven't been able to get there thus far. Also, I want to change the positioning of the lighting strips on the underside of the APA Box lids, so that's another small job to do. 

I then purchased a Woodland's Scenic's back scene and fitted it. I just went for a light plain blue sheet as most of the backscene will be covered by retaining wall, and this has improved the look of the layout no end.  

post-19647-0-83896700-1436470151_thumb.jpeg

Some more shots of this can be seen below in the ballast photos. 

Last weekend I constructed a SR Concrete platform kit by Peco, and used 2mm plasticard for the surface. Being a big fan of Chris Nevard's work, I used his methods of building up the concrete effect by using different primers. The plan is this will be flush against the retaining walls I'm planning, a'la North Dulwich.  

post-19647-0-73722500-1436470359_thumb.jpeg

Finally, the same weekend I reballasted the main running lines going through, and the end result looks better than the first incarnation of ballasting to my eye, as I've beefed out the shoulders a lot more, and it just looks a lot better in general. I've also used modelling clay and worked it in and around the track which are going to be sidings on my layout, trying to represent prototypical ash-ballasted sidings.  

post-19647-0-23783100-1436471120_thumb.jpg

post-19647-0-91470800-1436470861_thumb.jpg

I've also spent a few pennies recently, and decided to change era, to Sectorisation. Out with the BR Blue, in with the NSE et al! I sold all my stock from the 60's/70's era, and invested in a Bachmann NSE EPB, a Departmental Grey 33/1, and my favourite, a weathered NSE 47 depicting 47573, London Evening Standard.  

post-19647-0-33984200-1436470229_thumb.jpeg  

(The low relief flats in the background of the first photo were just to get an idea for height of the retaining walls, they won't actually be used.)(

post-19647-0-14277700-1436470295_thumb.jpeg  

post-19647-0-08810400-1436470320_thumb.jpeg 

The next stage will be to hand brush the clay on the track with paints, which will take time but will be worth it, I feel. This won't be for a few weeks until I go back to visit the family, however. In the mean time, I've ordered some fantastic looking retaining walls from LCUT Creative, and I will be painting these as cream/yellow London brick with my other half the in the coming weeks as she fancies a little artistic project, just as well really as I've never really tried painting before! Bearing in mind we have 5 foot of retaining wall to paint, as well as assembling the kits, this might be a bit time consuming, but will definitely be worth it! More as I go along.  :good:

• 2 weeks later...

Since I've last posted I've been busy doing a big job for the layout, which is building the retaining wall that will form the backdrop, and be the main feature of the layout. I've got approximately four foot of it, so assembling it all and painting it has been a bit time consuming and a bit frustrating at times, but I'm very happy with the way the first ones have turned out. So far I've assembled all seven kits of three arches, and painted five. The other two kits are drying and will be finished tomorrow. I'm also in the middle of assembling a bridge by the same manufacturer, which is destined to be a scenic break. This will be painted tomorrow too. Pictures are below:

post-19647-0-46849400-1437336105_thumb.jpg

post-19647-0-74501000-1437336129_thumb.jpg

post-19647-0-85336100-1437336143_thumb.jpg

The little white bits are where the paper of the card has come off, I'll be touching this up tomorrow. When the kits are in situ on the layout, any imperfections such as small gaps caused by me generally being sh*te at kit building will be covered up by little weeds and bits of foliage. As an aside, I'm in no way affiliated, but I would really recommend these kits! If anyone's wondering, they're by LCUT Creative.

I've gone for a representation of dirty London yellow brick, and I drew a lot of inspiration from North Dulwich, and the approaches into Liverpool Street. Also, on the off-chance that he's reading this, a big thank you to Pete 75C for coming up with a yellow brick method, it was so good I had to pinch it for myself as I was short of ideas on how to represent the colour, I hope you don't mind!

On the off-chance anyone else reading this hasn't been keeping track with Pete's fantastic new Croydon-based project, the method is a quick blast of black primer, followed by a coat of Humbrol 93 Desert Sand Aerosol, and I then used a tin of the same Humbrol paint and a tester pot of white emulsion, mixed together and watered down, and this was applied and rubbed off again, and it has the effect of toning down the desert sand yellow. A final coat of black primer was applied at the end. As I said earlier, as much as I'd like to take credit for this method, it's all Pete's, not mine!

The next step after finishing this project tomorrow will have to wait a few weeks until I can go home. This will be fixing the retaining walls together as well as the bridge, and assembling them in place on the layout, as well as painting the modelling clay in the trackwork.

More as I go along!

Archived