'00' brake tender

I am considering buying a 00 gauge Genesis Brake tender kit, does any one have any comments on the quality of the kit and its ease of construction?

Thanks

I must admit that I struggled to get these to build squarely and also found them to be over width. Unless these have changed since I built mine you may be better off with the ABS or the PDK versions which are available I believe. I have built six ABS ones and they are quite easy, just six main body parts plus a couple of bogie mounts. I have two PDK ones now to build and do like the look of what I see. Genesis did however provide variety with the option of the girder frame type built by BR at Statford B964106-B964111. I don't know whether these are still available though.

Guest stuartp

I shall finish mine one day, if only because twenty quid is a lot to pay just for pewter scrap to weight wagons with, but it's been a struggle so far. It fits where it touches, most of the 'detail' on the body came off whilst adjusting it with a 12" file so it fitted together, and that on the bogies is so crude I swapped them for Bachmann ones which are themselves hardly hi-tech. It looks a bit wide to me too.

On the plus side you shouldn't have any problems with it derailing due to lack of weight when being propelled, it weighs a bleedin' ton !

I'd love a Herring and the original Flatrol MJ if they ever get round to releasing it but the brake tender has put me right off this particular manufacturer.

Archived