Ed's Protofour LNER Workbench

Having long been inspired by the efforts of such giants of this forum as Mr Welleans and Mr Parks, and equally frustrated by my own inability to keep my projects on track, I have decided that chronicling my attempts to recreate a section of the LNER in miniature is the way to go. So without further ado, here are some shots of my current project; a Toad D from an Airfix BR standard van inspired by Mr Welleans attempts.IMG_0965_zps4d8c40b6.jpg

And a cruel close up of the one completed end. Unfortunately the drill was then eaten by the plastic(sorry Simon), and since I've just moved house, I can't find my set, so no more drilling until I do.

IMG_0964_zps1d640e78.jpg

However, I did manage to do the ends before the snap:

IMG_0966_zps44767f36.jpg

And, perched together I think things could have gone a lot worse:

IMG_0967_zps7a90f7ea.jpg

Good start.  I've taken to using .33 wire for the handrails as it gives a much finer appearance.  Good idea to use an Airfix kit rather than the Dapol as well - the plastic is better and the moulds were much less worn in those days.

I buy the drills in packs of 10 from Squires or Eileen's.  I think my record for breaking one is under a minute.

FWIW, "the drill was eaten by the plastic" suggests that you were drilling under power. A pin vice would give you better control and save on drill bits. Just a suggestion :pardon_mini: Otherwise good for you taking on the job.

Cheers,

David

• 1 month later...

To quote Sir Terry; "I aten't dead!". Summer has rather gotten in the way of things (as it does), with holidays and so forth mucking up my ability to do modelling.

Having acquired more drill bits, I finished off the handrails:

IMG_0969_zps9af50d9c.jpg

IMG_0970_zps954cdcd5.jpg

And bunged some ends on:

IMG_0973_zpse4db9a02.jpg

The banana-shaped thing is (mostly) an optical illusion. Although I might take those endplates off to try and make them lie flatter. Hmmm.

Since I was then waiting for variagated underframe bits to carry on the build I built this:

IMG_0974_zpsbfa7bcae.jpg

from an exactoscale kit. It fell together over about three leisurely evenings, and as ever was a joy to build.

On the slightly less sane scale of things, at the Club last Thursday, I built an inside for the brake van:

IMG_0972_zps6b761392.jpg

The figure is (currently) just for scale.

What next, I wonder...

Archived