FROG JUICER

shibushe

Suggest looking at www.tamvalleydepot.com site it'll give you an explanation.

Failing that just put Kermit in a food processor !

A frog juicer requires three wires - one to each of your rails and one to the point frog.  Connected from your layout to the juicer via three small screw terminals.

When the point is changed, if the juicer detects that the frog polarity is the wrong way round (ie creates a short) then it (virtually instantly) changes polarity over so the train can continue.

A "dual" juicer can control two point frog polarities separately, a "hex" can control six point frog polarities separately.

I've used them in the past (now don't as the Minx Microdrive point controllers I am using have their own built-in frog polarity changer) and had no problem with them at all.  Very straightforward to set up and use.

• RMweb Premium

I've several on my layout and find them to be excellent. What they do, is ensure that the electrical polarity of point frogs is correct, without the need for any switch eg microswitch connected to point motor. Hence they are more reliable and require less wiring. I've only a vague understanding of how they work - but they do work well.

In brief, electrically isolate the point frog, connect the frog juicer to the track bus (two wires), connect one output from the juicer to the point frog. The juicers I have each control 6 points.

Hope this helps.

• RMweb Gold

One port of a frog juicer will cost you £8, a Peco or Seep solenoid point motor £4-5.  For the same money you can get a Tortoise slow-action point motor with two reliable, built-in switches - one to do the polarity and the other to do anything else takes your fancy. You get all the benefits of reliable (and quiet!) operation of your turnouts plus the added benefit of not constantly causing system short circuits.  

Six microswitches - £10.

Hex frog juicer - £60.

It's the argument of value versus cost -- and Frog Juicers are a good value. Finicky micro switches and the fiddly means to mount and actuate them, not a good value. Just my experience.

Remember the Frog Juicer works by detecting a short on the layout and quickly switching the polarity before the command station detects it and shuts the system down.

I've used a dual frog juicer for a crossover, where I wanted to pair the two frogs, so that when either is triggered they both switch together. It's been working faultlessly for a couple of years now.

• RMweb Gold

I got fed up with the SEEP solenoid polarity change failing and after trying the Peco twin microswitches with Peco solenoids that were to fiddly to keep adjusting, I decided to use Frog juicers on Banbury and Santa Barbara.

Yes they are dearer than some options but so far they have worked extremely well at many shows.

Frog Juicers only work with DCC.

With a Hex Frog Juicer you can wire up 6 separate frogs. You need one wire from each frog to the juicer plus two wires from track power. A couple of points worth considering - the Frog Juicer needs ot work turnouts within the same power district. If you have block detection then each Frog Juicer needs  to be within that block section so needs a bit more thought and possible the use of the twin juicers etc.

I will be using them on Dobris when I get to wiring up the turnouts.

EDITED - Hex Frog Juicer has 6 ports (not 8 as previously typed)

Ian

• RMweb Gold

I'm afraid that the argument about the relative costs of motors and microswitches only holds up if you are going to use a motor in the first place, or feel able to install the microswitches. The Frog Juicer will work with unpowered points, and, as others have said, is very easy to connect. I have plenty of Tortoise and Peco motors in use, but there are locations where a motor is not feasible, and then the Frog Juicer is the best way (virtually prat-proof, an important issue here) of avoiding shorts.

I'm afraid that the argument about the relative costs of motors and microswitches only holds up if you are going to use a motor in the first place, or feel able to install the microswitches.

Motor, or not, is totally irrelevant.

It boils down to whether you will use "hand of god" to operate the points directly, or have some form of mechanical system (wire in tube, levers & cranks, etc...) to which you can couple the switches.

Andrew

There was concern expressed last year on an N scale forum about whether the Frog Juicer reacts quickly enough to reverse polarity and thereby prevent the rail pitting that can occur from a short circuit.

The circuit is essentially a one-shot flip-flop, with MOSFETs doing the heavy lifting. Reaction time is about 300 microseconds. Even with the 5 amps needed to drive the Juicer, that's nowhere near enough time for a short circuit to be detected by a DCC command Station or for any damage to the rail.

You can get a 4-way servo decoder with frog switching for up to eight frogs built in for less than the cost of a hex frog juicer.

You really only need a frog juicer where you are changing points by hand and do not have room for a microswitch. It is not like the wiring is any easier - three wires to the juicer the same as three wires to the microswitch.

• RMweb Gold

Motor, or not, is totally irrelevant.

It boils down to whether you will use "hand of god" to operate the points directly, or have some form of mechanical system (wire in tube, levers & cranks, etc...) to which you can couple the switches.

Andrew

Perhaps I should have said "remote control". I do not see the faff with wire-in-tube etc as being much less than digging holes in the baseboard to mount a motor. In my case I have a station throat built on bases that would not readily accept anything but hand operation. Elsewhere, as I said, Tortoises do the biz, and in the hidden sidings, Peco.

• RMweb Gold

You can get a 4-way servo decoder with frog switching for up to eight frogs built in for less than the cost of a hex frog juicer.

You really only need a frog juicer where you are changing points by hand and do not have room for a microswitch. It is not like the wiring is any easier - three wires to the juicer the same as three wires to the microswitch.

I must admit that I am considering going over to servos and that board would be ideal. Maybe I will give that a try on future modifications to the juice factory on Fort Myers.

Ian

Archived