OO gauge class 59 Diesel locomotive

DJM Dave

This I like, saves me having to update my Limby fleet. At least one in each major livery variation bar NP please, I make that 5 59/0, 3 59/1 and 2 59/2 plus some of the minor variations and the odd duplicate for double heading! 

I've been photographing these machines in the Maidenhead area since around 1990 so seen them through all the livery changes and the vast array of different wagons they've hauled. There's even a set of DBS HTAs on trial at the moment.

Merehead are usually quite accommodating so if you want to go and crawl all over a hopper or box wagon they will probably be able to help.

Graham

Well, I need all four ARC 59/1s for my model of Whatley so this is a welcome announcement! Will probably take at least one /0 and one of the NP /2s as well.

Questions for Dave:

1) Currently nobody has a 59 sound chip on the market, will you be recording one?

2) I might have a contact who can help you with the O&K hoppers. I'm back in the UK at the end of the week and can investigate. Are you sure you don't want to do a Mendip PGA? Far more widespread, more liveries etc than the O&K hopper. ;-)

Somebody should approach Bachmann to release their freight liner hopper in NP livery with LTF bogies, would be a sure fire seller.

Everything is available for you to convert the Bachmann wagons. The result with my LTF-25 bogies, resin cast replacement ends, and Fox transfers looks like this:

9125504624_af490f5dc8_c.jpg

Well, I need all four ARC 59/1s for my model of Whatley so this is a welcome announcement! Will probably take at least one /0 and one of the NP /2s as well.

Questions for Dave:

1) Currently nobody has a 59 sound chip on the market, will you be recording one?

2) I might have a contact who can help you with the O&K hoppers. I'm back in the UK at the end of the week and can investigate. Are you sure you don't want to do a Mendip PGA? Far more widespread, more liveries etc than the O&K hopper. ;-)

Hi mate,

Looks like that ones been answered and if it's Ian who's recorded it there will be no better sound.

Great if you can help on the O&K, as I'm adverse to producing LTF hoppers as I'm not happy with the drag this can produce, and I like O&K ones anyway ;-)

Maybe Mendip ones at a later date?

Cheers

Dave

Everything is available for you to convert the Bachmann wagons. The result with my LTF-25 bogies, resin cast replacement ends, and Fox transfers looks like this:

9125504624_af490f5dc8_c.jpg

Slightly O/T, but the latest is that 59003 is to return to the UK from Europe.

Cheers,

Mick

So from a fleet from 15 locomotives you've got... Original FY, later FY, Mendip Rail, Aggregate Industries, original ARC, new ARC, Hanson, National Power, EWS, DB Schenker and now GBRf!

This could get expensive.

The livery Dave is doing 59002 in is suitable for 1980s/1990s, well at least going by the photo on the announcement. The fact it's carrying its original name backs this up.

After this livery, 59002 carried Mendip green, Revised Foster Yeoman (broad blue band down the side) and in the last month or so has gained Aggregate Industires livery. The best model for your era would be the DB red model of 59206

jo

Would 59002 in Foster Yeoman livery been running around in 2004-2010? Or would it be in the Aggregates Industry livery? If the latter, consider it pre-ordered!

I photographed 002 in Reading in 2005 in Mendip Rail livery, which I think it had carried for a few years prior to that point.

• RMweb Premium

Well, after only a few weeks ownership, I've just put my new Lima Hanson 59 on eBay, my stack of Modelmaster EWS transfers and pots of red and gold paint await the arrival of some real beasties in due course! 

On the plus side you've saved a vintage green Bachmann 66610 from a certain remotoring death and given plenty of time back to tackle fun wagon projects to give the EWS 59/2s something exciting to haul...a big thanks Dave! :)

• RMweb Premium

So from a fleet from 15 locomotives you've got... Original FY, later FY, Mendip Rail, Aggregate Industries, original ARC, new ARC, Hanson, National Power, EWS, DB Schenker and now GBRf!

This could get expensive.

Not GBRf, but now DRS, according to the latest froth rumour news..........

Cheers,

Mick

Not GBRf, but now DRS, according to the latest froth rumour news..........

Cheers,

Mick

Saw that this morning - so it'll be dark blue, but will it have orange cab-sides or a full bodyside vinyl?? Watch this space...

• RMweb Premium

Saw that this morning - so it'll be dark blue, but will it have orange cab-sides or a full bodyside vinyl?? Watch this space...

Very true.

And just as we never really knew what whas going to happen with 70099 - eventually to become 70801, I'll throw in a curveball of 59801...... :jester:

Chees,

Mick

The livery Dave is doing 59002 in is suitable for 1980s/1990s.

The best model for your era would be the DB red model of 59206

I photographed 002 in Reading in 2005 in Mendip Rail livery, which I think it had carried for a few years prior to that point.

Thank you to you both. Sounds if I won't be pre-ordering a 59/0 in this batch. Hopefully they 59 shall be a great success and liveries fitting into my Westcountry time period shall forthcoming on a 59/0. I shall write the liveries down as reference for future announcements. (the 59/1 & 59/2 dont appeal to me, nor does the DB red)

I think there were at least 3 variations on FY on the 59/0 - they were repainted in the mid 90s, and whilst the difference between the paint jobs wasn't huge, the cantrail stripe was lower on the repaints (going across the top of the windscreens and through the blue stripe, rather than above it on the original)

A slightly grubby 59005 (with D400/50050) at Wimbledon depot open day, 1991 - I believe this was the original version.

59005_50050_Wimbledon_050591-XL.jpg

These shots of 59003 (pre export - mid 1990s, at Slough) show the repainted version with the cantrail stripe now in what became the standard position for later liveries. The practice of the stars on the nose to ID them also seems to have come in at the same time?

59003_Slough_DateUnk_b-XL.jpg

59003_Slough_DateUnk_a-XL.jpg

I seem to remember tests using class 59,s up and down the country once upon a time.

Certainly I think a couple got to mossend on freight liner test trains ( under BR auspices back then).

But then it could all have been a dream by someone who's making a model of one and wants to sell even more ;-)

Cheers

Dave

Archived