N gauge Class 59 Diesel Locomotive

DJM Dave

The N gauge class 59 is a much asked for locomotive .

This model is already in development within the factory in China and specification, artwork and paint swatches etc have been approved.

However these is still a way to go with this model and I would ideally love to produce the O&K hoppers to release with them as well, but have been unable to source the plans for these as yet.

The model will feature a coreless motor, heavy chassis, directional lighting, etched grilles all round, separate wire handrails, DCC 6 pin decoder socket with a large space for a sound speaker, alternate valances and super detailed bogies and of course alternate slide details for various versions.

N59-001  59002 ‘Yeoman Enterprise’ in Foster Yeoman Livery

N59-002 59103 ‘Village of Mells’ in ARC Mustard and Grey livery

N59-003 59204 ‘Vale of Glamorgan’  National Power Livery

N59-004 50206 ‘John F. Yeoman’ DBSchenker Livery

RRP IRO £129.95

post-1144-0-25715700-1406107306.jpg

post-1144-0-72840200-1406107317.jpg

post-1144-0-92214300-1406107333.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave

I can hear the wailing from Dapol about the 59 now ;-) A brave, but very sensible choice with plenty of scope for re-liveries for such a small class.

The O&K hoppers would be nice, but you might find the Arc JHAs more use and wider-spread?

Cheers, Mike

I'm assuming that this is simply a case of picking up on a model Dapol don't wish to do any more (it no longer appears under the product development section of the Dapol website)?

Either way, I'm very interested in the original 1980s liveried example, thanks Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave Well done good choice as said liveries abound among just a few locos! look forward to ordering ops shortly. To go with the CJM monster ! Not sure if there was an article by Ken Vass in RM a long while ago for O&K hoppers.

cheers

Robert   

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Yes Robert, Len Vass in Railway Modeller February '90 with his own 4mm scale side and end elevations - measured during an NUR strike!, with finishing and additional comments in the March edition.

HTH

Regards, Gerry 8)

Fantastic to hear this Dave. Looks like my plans for Whatley in N might have to be dusted off again!

I presume when you mention detail variations this includes the variations on the underframe as well as the bodies? There's so much variation across the class 59 fleet, in areas you wouldn't expect too!

Revised Yeoman, Hanson and EWS would be nice in a second batch, hint hint! ;)

jo

Fantastic to hear this Dave. Looks like my plans for Whatley in N might have to be dusted off again!

I presume when you mention detail variations this includes the variations on the underframe as well as the bodies? There's so much variation across the class 59 fleet, in areas you wouldn't expect too!

Revised Yeoman, Hanson and EWS would be nice in a second batch, hint hint! ;)

jo

Hi Jo,

Yes, I'm hoping for accuracy in all versions in all areas. :-)

I take it there is no external difference between all five of the Yeoman 59s? If so would it not be an idea to sell a nominal version (59002 for example) and then the necessary nameplates and number plates to complete the set? I don't know how you would get around the bell issue on 59001 but a great man such as yourself should have little problem solving that!

I take it there is no external difference between all five of the Yeoman 59s? If so would it not be an idea to sell a nominal version (59002 for example) and then the necessary nameplates and number plates to complete the set? I don't know how you would get around the bell issue on 59001 but a great man such as yourself should have little problem solving that!

Don't forget the stars designating the number 1-5 on the front between the buffer shanks which appeared a few years after they were introduced.

All 59/0s and 59/1s have the number repeated with stars on the yellow panel, eg 59001 has 1 star, 002 2 stars etc. as Dave said whilst I was typing this!

59005 has the NRN aerials on the roof in a different position to 59001-4. 59001 - 4 have them on the cab roofs, 59005 has them more inboard, the exhaust end is next to the silencer, the grill end has it inboard, over where the engine is, as per the 59/1s and 59/2s. Appearance wise 59005 is effectively a 59/1 with /0 lights.

Hopefully this picture explains it better than I can type it, it's 005 leading 001.

IMG_1574-59005-59001-7A17-XL.jpg

Should a revised Yeoman one appear in future Dave, 59004 would be a nice one as it lasted the longest, with 59001 and 5 going into Aggregate in 2008 and 002 carrying Mendip Rail green for a lot of the period that the other three carried revised Yeoman

jo

Hi,

Yes Robert, Len Vass in Railway Modeller February '90 with his own 4mm scale side and end elevations - measured during an NUR strike!, with finishing and additional comments in the March edition.

HTH

Regards, Gerry 8)

I hope that drawing is more accurate than his drawings of the PTA and PXA, which were :cry:

There is a side elevation in a press handout I have from O&K, but Mike Frazer would be the best bet for drawings.

Jon

Oh and don't get me started on black stars, white stars, no stars or large stars either!

Chances are I could do 59005 in 5 different (small) variations in just Foster Yeoman livery!

All 59/0s and 59/1s have the number repeated with stars on the yellow panel, eg 59001 has 1 star, 002 2 stars etc. as Dave said whilst I was typing this!

59005 has the NRN aerials on the roof in a different position to 59001-4. 59001 - 4 have them on the cab roofs, 59005 has them more inboard, the exhaust end is next to the silencer, the grill end has it inboard, over where the engine is, as per the 59/1s and 59/2s. Appearance wise 59005 is effectively a 59/1 with /0 lights.

Hopefully this picture explains it better than I can type it, it's 005 leading 001.

IMG_1574-59005-59001-7A17-XL.jpg

Should a revised Yeoman one appear in future Dave, 59004 would be a nice one as it lasted the longest, with 59001 and 5 going into Aggregate in 2008 and 002 carrying Mendip Rail green for a lot of the period that the other three carried revised Yeoman

jo

Is 004 still in revised FY livery?

Is 004 still in revised FY livery?

Yes but de branded. 002 has just got Aggregate livery at Eastleigh, so recently that no photos exist online yet.

The Yeoman branding was removed in 2013

jo

That's a shame, really liked the revised FY livery. But I understand that Aggregate Industries won't want their locos running round in FY livery.

I agree, I think it's my favourite livery on them.

I've just been through my photos here http://joalder.smugmug.com/Trains/Class-By-Class/Class-59/i-xzDdDZ6 and it was between August and October 2013 that they were debranded. Who knows how long 004 has left.

jo

• RMweb Premium

Seeing as both you and Dapol have used a photo of a Hanson loco in the respective press releases, despite not actually offering one, I'm going to keep hoping that one follows...

Archived