N gauge Churchward 63xx 2-6-0 GWR Mogul

DJM Dave

Possibly 'the' must have locomotive for anyone modelling the Great Western Railway or BR transition period.

Featuring a wealth of detail using original plans and pictures, including a loco mounted coreless motor and a DCC 6 pin decoder socket along with profile blackened wheels and NEM coupling pockets as standard, traction tyres on rear drivers with spare drivers available for 2mm conversion, Space within the tender for a DCC sound speaker.

N63xx-001  7320 in GWR green with "Great Western" on the tender

N63xx-002  6368 in GWR green with "GWR" on the tender

N63xx-003  6336 in BR unlined black with early crest

N63xx-004  6319 in BR lined green with late crest

RRP IRO £129.95

post-1144-0-00276600-1406108460.jpg

• Like 15

Photo aside, this is fantastic news. The Mogul was the single most numerous tender engine the GWR built and its lighter weight meant it could go where the heavier 4-6-0s could not whilst still being perfectly at home on the mainline. I'll have 2 please Dave! :good:

Edited by Karhedron

superb news on this one Dave, but can we one in OO one day, pretty please!

Just wanted to say what a superb list of locos you have coming out,i can see these are going to be flying of the shelfs!!

all the best

Matt :)

7320 c 1939.

Tall safety valve (typical for pre-WWII Moguls), Collett taper buffers (also typical for many Moguls at this time), both smokebox rings are rivetted (and I think were from 7320's inception, unlike earlier Moguls, which picked them up in the late '20s/early '30s). Standard firebox plug positions*. Standard Churchward 3500g rivetted tender and underframe.

* beware 6319's non-standard pattern (like the preserved 5322), but it probably would have the later pattern by BR days.

• RMweb Premium

This may well be the first loco that I buy from you Dave. I'm guessing that this is still some way off given that others you have announced today have progress markers against them. (Not that this is a bad thing). 

Are you going to do this as 5322 in ROD sand livery?

Probably not on the basis that 5322 is a somewhat earlier loco with detail differences including (most obviously) different pattern boiler stays.

Edited by Karhedron

Wow, wow, wow! I have been waiting for this loco in N for years, and was very disappointed when Ixion pulled out of doing theirs.

I had thought this and a retooled GWR large prairie would have been in Farish's line up this year, given they often do medium sized mixed traffic locos and the fact that their OO mogul is very long in the tooth and has an old chassis design.

I can't wait for this model as these were the distinctive locos on the Taunton-Barnstaple line and I will want several for Dulverton.

Hopefully the later Collett version with revised cab and extended front frames is a long-term possibility?

Douglas

Edited by Douglas G
  • Like 2

With a Grange being impounded at Huddersfield after taking a chunk out of the platform at Darley Dale, and Halls reaching York, how far up the GC did the 63xx penetrate?  If they got as far as Annesley I might be interested in one....

Les

Thinks- I assume the platform clearances between Sheffield and York were a little wider than those between Sheffield and Huddersfield, or did the Grange's smaller wheels mean the cylinders were lower than on the Hall?

Well done Dave, very good choice of widespread engine. I'll have one in green and black (late crest), or were they all repainted into green?

Plus I'll be cheeky here and suggest that with only one more axle a prairie it could be, of short and long wheelbase versions? :-)

It's probably a blessing that Ixion didn't release this loco when they were originally planning, as it would have been like the Manor, with the motor in the tender and a drive shaft to the loco. With the very open style of cab that there was in the Churchward Moguls, the drive shaft would have been very conspicuous.

Hopefully the motor won't protrude into the cab in the DJ Models version - this is an issue with the P&D Marsh kit using a Farish large prairie chassis.

Douglas

Edited by Douglas G

Hi Douglas,

The coreless motor will be mounted in reverse so that it 'points' backwards. This means it will be in the boiler barrel with the gearbox in the firebox feeding downwards and as such the backhead detail and employ cab should be visible.

This is the same for the N gauge J94 and the OO J94 too.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hiya,

Nothing new, announcement wise, for 2 years I'm afraid, sorry.

I have to clear the backlog first.

Cheers

Dave

Dave, whilst this is not what I wanted to hear in one way, THANK YOU very much for being straight with the buying public and not making promises you can't keep. The so-called big boys could learn a lot from your honesty instead of keeping on making announcements about new products before they have delivered half of their last announcement

• Like 1