N gauge Churchward 63xx 2-6-0 GWR Mogul

DJM Dave

I would not mind seeing the Mogul jump the queue a bit.

I can't really see that happening with the current backlog and delays from Dapol and Farish, and that DJM needs to gets some of the now long promised product (that are claimed to be being worked on) completed, to market and get some sales and working capital under his belt (if there is any room ;-) ) for further developments like the mogul.

G.

• 2 months later...

Any eta at all on this ? Programmes/cashflow and schedules must be getting awfully complicated at DJ towers- now with an 86 being mooted.

I hope a mogul will see the light of day.

Matt W

Edited by D826

Hi Matt, not at all, complicated? Nah, if I had the business I could quadruple my output.

I published an updated progress chart on my website about 2-3 weeks back.

Cheers

Dave

Fair play Dave.

I should have looked at your website.

Just a reflection of the eagerness with which I'm anticipating it. The 121 and Western you were responsible for captured the prototypes spot on.

The Mogul is a widespread long lived unsung hero of the Western - it'll sell in volume. To my eye I think they are a beautifully balanced looking loco I look forward to seeing in model form.

Look forward to seeing further progress.

Matt W

• Like 1

It's ours and we wants it!

BR Green will do very nicely, I am most definitely in the market for this type of BR/WR motive power in N and this one as specified ticks all my boxes.

However I haven't bought what's been available up to now, because I don't want tender drive with a great driveshaft going through a very much open cab/footplate area! I saw this as very much a step backwards rather than forwards.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Hi Dave, is the Mogul penciled in after the J94 or is there other stuff in the queue?

Just to keep people's interest simmering, here is an album of the Moguls through their working lives.

https://railway-photography.smugmug.com/GWRSteam-1/Churchward-Locomotives/Churchward-Tender-Locomotives/Churchward-4300-Class-Mogul/Churchward-Mogul/i-2DBNC2T

• 1 year later...

Hiya,

Nothing new, announcement wise, for 2 years I'm afraid, sorry.

I have to clear the backlog first.

Cheers

Dave

Just wondering whether there has been any progress on the mogul. I'm newly back into 2mm and layout in mind could do with a few!

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi,

Just wondering whether there has been any progress on the mogul. I'm newly back into 2mm and layout in mind could do with a few!

Just received and responded to an email requesting fresh expression(s) of interest.

https://djmodels.co.uk/product/n-gauge-gwr-churchward-6300-class-2-6-0-mogul-expressions-of-interest

Design work is underway,  but depending on how many people sing up will depend on how long it takes to bring it to market, as ever it takes time for me to build up the prerequisite personal funding, so i might offer this as a crowdfunded one instead to get the ball rolling quickly so the factory can move onto this right after the King model clears production.

I have not kept your details from the previous site, so please treat the link as a whole new 'expressions of interest'

Regards, Gerry.

• RMweb Premium

I pre ordered one of these through a retailer when first announced. I suspect that I will keep my order with them.

On another note, having just seen the spec, it seems like a backward step not to have a Next18 board instead of the 8pin shown. 

• RMweb Premium

Hi Kris,

I pre ordered one of these through a retailer when first announced. I suspect that I will keep my order with them. 

I'd tend to think you should check on that, if this is going to be 'crowdfunded' I doubt there would be a dealer margin for your retailer?

Regards, Gerry.

one of each of the BR WR versions for me, a long awaited loco in this scale, every Western layout bigger than a small branch line should have at least one, remember, they did almost everything before the Manors and Granges turned up, and they used wheels amongst other components from time expired 43xx!

Regards,

Alex

Well the 4700s were in many ways a stretched Mogul. Same wheel size and same pony truck so maybe some commonality there that Dave could leverage.

Bigger boiler (unlike Didcot's new build which will run with the smaller No 1 boiler), so should be plenty of space for the motor.  They also ran with the 4000 gallon tender as did the Kings.

A thought on tenders.  The moguls ran with the smaller 3500 gallon tenders.  Could the lower height be a reason why the NEXT18 chip isn't planned for the mogul?