N gauge Churchward 63xx 2-6-0 GWR Mogul

DJM Dave

I wonder if this issue over decoder socket is a typing error - simply that the '1' was missed off before the 8. After all, aren't the earlier sockets 6-pin rather than 8-pin?

G

Could well be. I agree that previous N locomotives had the 6 pin socket, so it will hopefully be a straightforward fit for the Next 18 in this.

Could well be. I agree that previous N locomotives had the 6 pin socket, so it will hopefully be a straightforward fit for the Next 18 in this.

It says it will have a Next 18 socket on the pre-order page on the DJM web site 

Dave

• RMweb Premium

It says it will have a Next 18 socket on the pre-order page on the DJM web site 

Dave

This has changed since the model was announced a few weeks ago. Previously it was staying it would be an 8 pin socket.

It appears Dave is doing things in a less vocal style - more akin to Bachmann/Hornby/Dapol - if you ask me that is no bad thing, whilst I applaud his efforts to be visible I think it was in the end counter productive.

He's obviously still listening and then doing things in the background.

I agree. While I am a big fan of his customer engagement, I recognise that as a one-man-band, regular interaction was probably eating into his time. The newsletter updates for the King look good and should be excellent going forward.

I have just placed my EOIs for a pair of Moguls, one in GWR green and one in BR green. Farish seem to have struck a rich vein with "humble" 0-6-0 and 2-6-0 locos lately so I hope this bodes well for the GWR Mogul.

Edited by Karhedron
  • Like 1

I do think he could do with a bit more advertising for this TBH. I’ve eventually found out about expressions of interest after reading this thread. But prior to that there’s been no updates and rumours it had been shelved.

So no official updates on here and nothing so far as I can see in the press.

I know the informations on the website but it’s a bit chicken-egg. You’d only look at the website if you were interested in buying a 63xx but if you didn’t know he was producing one you wouldn’t look at the website.

I have wanted this since it was first announced and really hope it goes ahead. But I think it needs a bit more of a push to get the word out.

It appears Dave is doing things in a less vocal style - more akin to Bachmann/Hornby/Dapol - if you ask me that is no bad thing, whilst I applaud his efforts to be visible I think it was in the end counter productive.

He's obviously still listening and then doing things in the background.

Bachmann/Hornby/Dapol have their products spread around many shops whom do a lot of their own advertising and shows, which really pushes news of the products around.

You cannot do that when you are using crowdfunding not without having shop versions too that doubtless reduce the number of crowdfunders so his news feed is limited.

Promotion is now DLMs weakest link. He does not do social media, and appears (for many understandable reasons) cut down his time here. Even when he was here and at shows, it really is a very small part of the market. There was a little advertising for the APT but I do not remember seeing that for the King and Mogul. Word of mouth takes time and things are further complex-ed by 2 issues, one, we do not have a DJM N gauge loco yet and secondly, the highly ambitious program announced when he first appeared around 5 years ago has had so little delivered (probably due too few orders or too slow a time to build up orders at the start). So doubtless there will be many N gauge people not keeping DJM in their radar.

Shame really as Dave is a big N gauge fan, and while I understand him doing OO first because that market is bigger, I do feel maybe a bit more focus on N at first would have had him in people's radar today.

• RMweb Premium

I, given Dave's background, would expect him to be well aware of the need to get the periodicals on board, amongst other methods of publicity, but the lead time, as noted above, to get news into print is something that we have to take into consideration. Also, has anyone considered that Dave is giving us, the RM Web crowd, a heads up ahead of the general public?

The big thing for me will be the cost - given the figures we see for other manufacturers efforts it certainly will not be sub £100 in my view, it will help soften the blow if Dave takes the same approach as the King with a deposit taken part way through the process thereby helping him fund the EP and initial production. The balance then due when delivery can take place. That could even persuade some people to increase the size of their orders, it probably would me as it will help my cashflow.

And I would also agree with the comment that we have yet to see a model in N which would raise his profile in that scale. Hopefully the King and now the possibility of the Mogul will do just that.

I, given Dave's background, would expect him to be well aware of the need to get the periodicals on board, amongst other methods of publicity, but the lead time, as noted above, to get news into print is something that we have to take into consideration. Also, has anyone considered that Dave is giving us, the RM Web crowd, a heads up ahead of the general public?

The big thing for me will be the cost - given the figures we see for other manufacturers efforts it certainly will not be sub £100 in my view, it will help soften the blow if Dave takes the same approach as the King with a deposit taken part way through the process thereby helping him fund the EP and initial production. The balance then due when delivery can take place. That could even persuade some people to increase the size of their orders, it probably would me as it will help my cashflow.

And I would also agree with the comment that we have yet to see a model in N which would raise his profile in that scale. Hopefully the King and now the possibility of the Mogul will do just that.

I guess at the moment, he will be building only expressions of interest. As it takes time for word to get around, he will doubtless give it some time to build up. Naturally the King should be getting more focus at this time as people there have paid money.

The DJM N gauge class 92 is at a more advanced stage than either the King or Mogul so is more likely to be the product that raises his profile. But the RT version is rather racing it and the class 17 was also at an advanced stage but has somewhat bitten the dust.

It would certainly be good to see a completed DJM N gauge loco on sale to improve company profile and raise confidence.

G

Yes but it doesn't have a chimney so it doesn't count. It's not a proper engine.

Sad.

Thankfully it doesn't have a smokey funnel like those kettles, but it is a proper locomotive and a very powerful one. And is likely to leave the others trailing in its wake as it beats them in to DJM production. ;-)

G

Edited by grahame

I should really put in my EoI for the Mogul.   Shame he isn't doing a shirtbutton. 

Dave seems to be taking more than his fair share of knocks from the Chinese production woes affecting the industry as a whole.   That axed the 17, and I hope it doesn't end the Mogul before it's started.

Edited by AlfaZagato

I should really put in my EoI for the Mogul.   Shame he isn't doing a shitbutton. 

Dave seems to be taking more than his fair share of knocks from the Chinese production woes affecting the industry as a whole.   That axed the 17, and I hope it doesn't end the Mogul before it's started.

Do you mean a "Shirt-button" or am I missing something?

From what I remember back in Dapol days, the Shirtbutton variants were always the poorest sellers of the GWR liveries. "Great Western" and "GWR" branded models seemed to sell faster. It was always the shirtbutton small prairies that lingered in Hattons bargain bin.

Then again, if there is demand, perhaps Dave will reconsider. If nothing else, it might help get it on the list for a second run.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Apparently Dave has recently sent out an email newsletter concerning the GWR Churchwood mogul. The gist, from a public posting on the N Gauge IO e-group, is that some design work is going on - but it is waiting for a lot more to sign up to make it viable before work starts in earnest ... (just under 200 so far). There was no mention of the information being embargoed and obviously this is a message that needs to be made public if more people (who have not already signed up) are to know that they need to register an EOI with DJM.

Presumably if there is an issue with this posting then the mods can remove it.

G.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 months later...
  • AY Mod locked this topic