N gauge Churchward 63xx 2-6-0 GWR Mogul

DJM Dave

• RMweb Gold

Put me down for an 00 one when you announce it in 2 years time, Dave. ;)

It good to see a few new models being announced, but also tempered by some openness and realism with time-scales. Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

What is the progress on this - can't see any news for some time. Really keen to see this in the shops, definitely want one (or two).

Hi Richard,

Things are progressing on this model, and i will post cad/cam pics once i am happier with whats been done so far.

cheers

Dave

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dave,

Been a rumour that this has been dropped by you. Can you shine any light on this?

I'd have assumed that you would have put it on here. But better to check and squash it if it's not true.

Alistair

Ah rumours.....spread by nare do wells, with nothing better to do than to suggest falsehoods to boost their own (wrong) view of their personal self importance!

Read nothing into it unless i say so is the way to go. :locomotive:

Cheers

Dave

• Like 6

Ah rumours.....spread by nare do wells, with nothing better to do than to suggest falsehoods to boost their own (wrong) view of their personal self importance!

Read nothing into it unless i say so is the way to go. :locomotive:

Cheers

Dave

That's what I told the person who mentioned it. I thought that you would have announced it on here if anything had changed! Can't remember what mag they showed me that it had been put in.

Alistair

• 4 weeks later...

Why specifically a 63xx? a 43xx or 53xx would interest me more, but I'm not saying I wouldn't buy a 63xx. But could this production lead to the earlier variants being made? (I do prefer the earlier cabs and liveries to be honest)

I have been helping Dave with the Mogul research and I suggested the 63xx series as being the best choice in my opinion. I am sure Dave has his own reasons too but it might be helpful to explain the same reasons I gave to him. It is also worth noting that even the 63xx series still had the relatively open "Churchward" cab.

There are some good reasons to opt for the 63xx series as opposed to the others. Firstly, the Mogul design evolved somewhat over the years with changes to cab length and boiler stays among others. 5390 - 7321 represent the largest batch of moguls built to a single matching design, the only thing that varied between then were steam pipes (internal or external, often varying by boiler). The last few actually had outside steam pipes fitted from new. This is handy as a single tooling is then correct for locos from the early 1920s right through to the end of steam in 1965.

The 43xx series locos were largely withdrawn during the 1930s to provide parts for the Granges and Manors. Only a few survived into BR service and none survived long enough to receive the late crest.

The 53xx series underwent modifications during their lives as many were fitted with cast weights that increased their route restriction to Red and caused them to be renumbered in the 83xx series. This would mean either extra toolings for the buffer-beam weights or restricting the selection to just the 30ish locos that were not modified and retained their 53xx numbering. While neither is an insurmountable problem, photos from that period are a bit thin on the ground and making sure that the right variant and livery combination is chosen is always a concern. Easier to go for the group with the largest sample of which most survived through the popular "transition era".

The only period that this series does not cover is the time around WW1. Relatively few modellers work that far back, particularly in N Gauge as there is little stock to work with. Even the "later" 63xx series covers the 3 main GWR tender markings of "Great Western", shirtbutton and "GWR" as well as both BR crests. Simply put, choosing the 63xx series gives the widest number of locos and covers the widest time range with the fewest modifications.

• 3 months later...

So, Dave, here we all are still impatiently waiting! Can you give us an update please?

Hi Jose,

No, sorry, nothing to update apart from what was mentioned in my 'end of year' posting here in late December.

Work carries on, but all projects are still 'when they come', unless posted on my website differently.

Cheers

Dave

I'll wait quite happily. Where's the fun in getting everything you want right now... I've seen many locos rushed and get revised in a later production run. I'm glad some people take the time to get things right, even if that means they take flak for their trouble.

• RMweb Premium

So long as it's still progressing and appears at some point as an accurate portrayal (got to be better than the white metal lump I have at the moment!) I am happy to keep waiting. 

I can't help wondering if Bachmann might yet have this loco in their sights or even in development, given that they have just done the very similar southern N class mogul, which I believe was inspired by the GWR version in real life. Plus the OO version is one of their old models still to be updated.

You could argue Dapol are even closer since the Grange was a rebuild of a 43xx, the kit of parts at their disposal from various GW locomotives must now make a Mogul as real possibility.

I'm not arguing they should, but I would suspect if Dave threw his hat in too early in his development cycle he could find himself usurped.

A Mogul will appear in N, could come from one of three stables but only one has so far given any indication of a plan to do so.

The Mogul was originally planned by Ixion as a follow-up to their Manor for pretty much the same reason (commonality of parts). Given the long gestation time both Dapol and Farish seem to be having at the moment, I would be surprised if anyone jumped the gun on Dave.

Having said that, I would not mind seeing the Mogul jump the queue a bit. ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You could argue Dapol are even closer since the Grange was a rebuild of a 43xx, the kit of parts at their disposal from various GW locomotives must now make a Mogul as real possibility.

I'm not arguing they should, but I would suspect if Dave threw his hat in too early in his development cycle he could find himself usurped.

A Mogul will appear in N, could come from one of three stables but only one has so far given any indication of a plan to do so.

I asked Dapol this question.  They told me they would have definitely considered it if DJM had not already announced it, which suggests that they won't do it, at least not any time soon. I expect that they have other things in the pipeline.  So.. over to you, Dave!!

Personally I would prefer a loco driven version (as DJM is proposing) to a tender driver version, which I assume is what Dapol would do with their existing tender from other GWR locos.

It would be nice to see both the Churchward version with short cab and the later Hawksworth version with side-window cab.

• Like 2