OO Gauge class 71 Electric Locomotive

DJM Dave

Tooling has begun. More details in Kernow's newsletter today. Nice box. Nice cab interior.

Hi,

I'll be posting the full release and higher res pictures here in under an hour.

I'm out at the minute.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

While not having a penchant for the 71 I do like the design to incorporate the big speaker, (I've already ordered a second J94 I didn't really need) . Anyone not wishing to use it could always add more weight in there though I doubt most would need it with a cast chassis ;)

Hi Dave,

Excellent news.

My pet hate would be having 2 models with exactly the same features. Would it be possible to tell us which models have the different body styles, cab ends and roof features ?

You can call them style 1, cab 2 roof 5 etc...

I want to make sure my orders cover the maximum possible differences.

Regards John

Edited by JSpencer

Hi Dave, I hope you don't mind a comment or two (I speak as someone with one on order).

The images look great, plenty of nice touches in the detail there, especially the detail in the under-gubbins which is nice to see. But the loco's face doesn't look quite right to me, although this might be just the angle and the way the 3D image appears on a 2D screen.

Above the middle small window you have a point, almost a gothic arch, but the pictures of the real thing suggest a smooth curve.

The left-hand edge, at the top alongside the windows, your scanned image looks to have too sharp a bend. But this might be just due to the angle the image is shown at - as photos of real locos are usually taken looking upwards. The 3D image possibly emphasises the transition from roof to cab front - making it look like it's got a hunch. I've looked at other photos, however, and maybe it is the angle of the image.

And finally, sorry for going on, but something I'd never noticed before, the photo of E5004 with the Golden Arrow insignia on Kernow's site doesn't appear to have a gutter at the edge of the roof. All the photos of other locos do have a gutter, was this something that was added to the locos later, or maybe the photo is simply overexposed and the detail disappears?

I hope this isn't seen as carping. I've got the model on order as an incentive to finish a model based on Hove station ... well, when I say "finish" I mean, "operational"!

David

Hi Dave, I hope you don't mind a comment or two (I speak as someone with one on order).

The images look great, plenty of nice touches in the detail there, especially the detail in the under-gubbins which is nice to see. But the loco's face doesn't look quite right to me, although this might be just the angle and the way the 3D image appears on a 2D screen.

Above the middle small window you have a point, almost a gothic arch, but the pictures of the real thing suggest a smooth curve.

The left-hand edge, at the top alongside the windows, your scanned image looks to have too sharp a bend. But this might be just due to the angle the image is shown at - as photos of real locos are usually taken looking upwards. The 3D image possibly emphasises the transition from roof to cab front - making it look like it's got a hunch. I've looked at other photos, however, and maybe it is the angle of the image.

And finally, sorry for going on, but something I'd never noticed before, the photo of E5004 with the Golden Arrow insignia on Kernow's site doesn't appear to have a gutter at the edge of the roof. All the photos of other locos do have a gutter, was this something that was added to the locos later, or maybe the photo is simply overexposed and the detail disappears?

I hope this isn't seen as carping. I've got the model on order as an incentive to finish a model based on Hove station ... well, when I say "finish" I mean, "operational"!

David

Hi David,

Thanks for the mail.

I'm afraid i cannot comment too much on certain aspects of your post and previous ones as i'd rather not do others work for them. Please forgive me for now, but rest assured the 3D slightly distort various aspects of the model whcih arent necessarily there, but might even show what hasn't been noticed by others.

E5004 is certainly interesting on the gutterwork, and looking at it it seems a modification was made during the early life of the 71. I'm afraid all mine include gutters, sorry.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

Excellent news.

My pet hate would be having 2 models with exactly the same features. Would it be possible to tell us which models have the different body styles, cab ends and roof features ?

You can call them style 1, cab 2 roof 5 etc...

I want to make sure my orders cover the maximum possible differences.

Regards John

Hi John,

Thanks for the mail.

I can't do that just yet as it gives too much away to competitors, but once it's tooled i will gladly let everyone know (by showing them) what the differences are and show a matrix and operational dates for each one.

Cheers

Dave

Hi John,

Thanks for the mail.

I can't do that just yet as it gives too much away to competitors, but once it's tooled i will gladly let everyone know (by showing them) what the differences are and show a matrix and operational dates for each one.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks,

Please make sure you let us know before October 1st so that I can order models which cover the variants.

(Alternatively, if plain green early 60s covers one set, while blue another, then just letting me know that will be fine for me).

Rgds John

• RMweb Gold

Here's E5010 early in its life without gutters - http://railphotoprints.zenfolio.com/p287659169/h1fb4c639#h3584f7bd

and later with them - http://railphotoprints.zenfolio.com/p287659169/h2910c508#h2910c508

And E5011 in plain green also with them - http://railphotoprints.zenfolio.com/p287659169/h1fb4c639#h3be7c1c1

So the addition of gutters must have occurred early in their lives.

WOOOO HOOOO There gonna look beautifull pulling all those lovely Transfeea ferry wagons (Hint Hint !!!!!)

But seriously really looking forward to these Dave and the Artwork on the box is very excellent.

Cheers Trailrage

Here's E5010 early in its life without gutters - http://railphotoprints.zenfolio.com/p287659169/h1fb4c639#h3584f7bd

and later with them - http://railphotoprints.zenfolio.com/p287659169/h2910c508#h2910c508

And E5011 in plain green also with them - http://railphotoprints.zenfolio.com/p287659169/h1fb4c639#h3be7c1c1

So the addition of gutters must have occurred early in their lives.

Interestingly, the one without gutters (1963) is two years later than the one with gutters (1961) - assuming the dates given in the captions are correct. The process of adding them must have been spread over several years.

Edited by SRman

The CADs look absolutely superb - really good work. One big problem though - I can't locate the page on your website where I can order a couple in N gauge. No doubt I'll find it soon ;-)

The J94 photos on that thread are very impressive too.

Edited by msw2009

Dave - I have E5010 on pre-order - have you/are you considering doing anything with Mercig on offering weathered versions like the Westerns? - I don't normally consider buying weathered rolling stock as I don't really think (save for the Bachmann test train Mk1's) that the either Hornby or Bachmann really do it justice, however the Dapol Westerns really were spot on.

Steve

Edited by steve1023

While agreeing with you, Steve, regarding the excellence of the weathering on the Westerns, I cannot recall seeing any photos of class 71s with anything more than light weathering. It would have to be done accordingly, otherwise we will have a similar situation to the debate on another thread about the forthcoming Bachmann weathered class 450.

My own recollections of seeing them in green in the earlier 1960s were that they were fairly clean and shiny machines (usually followed, in my case, by clean and shiny Pullmans on the Golden Arrow!).

Dave - I have E5010 on pre-order - have you/are you considering doing anything with Mercig on offering weathered versions like the Westerns? - I don't normally consider buying weathered rolling stock as I don't really think (save for the Bachmann test train Mk1's) that the either Hornby or Bachmann really do it justice, however the Dapol Westerns really were spot on.

Steve

Hi Steve,

When after a goodly few months after the crowd sourced models have been delivered sucessfully, It is possible i will offer weathered versions using my now exclusive agreement with Mercig Studios, who did the silver bullets, Westerns and 22 for me.

However if this comes to pass, this will be at a far higher price for the weathered model than the exclusive clean 'crowd sourced' strictly limited editions ones that come first.

It may be, however, that the crowd sourced models are as far as the class 71 model goes regarding production availability, as i'm pretty sure i will have come close to sating the market for this particular model with the crowd sourced ones, so we shall see.

Cheers

Dave

Tooling has begun. More details in Kernow's newsletter today. Nice box. Nice cab interior.

Not a criticism as such, but not nice enough as yet to include the brake and exhauster control assembly which is a fairly prominent feature of the relatively simple desks on these locos?

The cab bulkhead position on these is slightly unusual too, directly behind the seats with access directly into the equipment area, similar to that found on the Hampshire units as I recall.

I was a bit too young for the HA/HB's (only ever cabbed one at an EH open day as a child) but having spent many happy hours trundling around the South with my dad in the cabs of other locos and units in my youth in the late 80's.

As such I like to see a well detailed cab in my models (recent steam releases are usually exquisite nowadays) and a quick look suggests the Hornby Class 60 would take some beating for interior detail...printed gauges, correct colours, its actually very good.

Much as I appreciate Heljan's efforts in producing the unusual (I have 17 of their locos) the cab interiors are usually lacklustre at best, with the cab floor often at window level and derisory detail...

I'd like to think that DJM will pay more attention to the interiors...its all visible detail after all?

Not a criticism as such, but not nice enough as yet to include the brake and exhauster control assembly which is a fairly prominent feature of the relatively simple desks on these locos?

The cab bulkhead position on these is slightly unusual too, directly behind the seats with access directly into the equipment area, similar to that found on the Hampshire units as I recall.

I was a bit too young for the HA/HB's (only ever cabbed one at an EH open day as a child) but having spent many happy hours trundling around the South with my dad in the cabs of other locos and units in my youth in the late 80's.

As such I like to see a well detailed cab in my models (recent steam releases are usually exquisite nowadays) and a quick look suggests the Hornby Class 60 would take some beating for interior detail...printed gauges, correct colours, its actually very good.

Much as I appreciate Heljan's efforts in producing the unusual (I have 17 of their locos) the cab interiors are usually lacklustre at best, with the cab floor often at window level and derisory detail...

I'd like to think that DJM will pay more attention to the interiors...its all visible detail after all?

Your quite right, but as mentioned I haven't shown or given away all details for the 71 'just in case' as it would be foolish of me to do so, given the circumstances with a rivals model.

Please have faith when I said that the cab will be fully detailed and painted as I agree with you totally.

It won't however have sprung cinema type seats, as that would be a pain for modelling in either position ( up or down) lol

Cheers

Dave

• Like 2

It won't however have sprung cinema type seats, as that would be a pain for modelling in either position ( up or down) lol

Cheers

Dave

Most of my model train drivers have bigger issues than comfortable cab seating as they've had their legs cut off :jester:

Hi John,

Thanks for the mail.

Cheers

Dave

Your only competitor is Hornby, and they've already tooled their model up to a running sample Hornby Class 71 - May Update. So, with respect, they are going to be first to market. Why would they take notice of your CAD drawings any more than they've taken notice of Oxford Rail's Radial Tank in the development of theirs?

I think it's great you're doing variations and the CAD drawings look good. Some in fact look excellent - and there have been some fair and critical observations too.

But let's call a spade a spade, Hornby are in front of you on development of a model of this prototype. They have in fact tooled theirs up a number of months ago. They're not going to change their tooling at great cost now. So what do you have to gain by hiding anything at this late stage of the game?

Yes, let's call a spade a spade Simon, you never miss an opportunity to have a dig or snipe at at DJM do you?

Essentially Simon, because Dave's project managing it, and he makes the decisions on releasing information as he sees best.

I've got one on order, I still expect Dave to do what is in the best interest of the model, not inform me of every step on the way because of a bout of ranting.

Have you got one on order?

• Like 4