OO Gauge class 71 Electric Locomotive

DJM Dave

It was good to meet and chat with Dave at Fareham today and I managed to get some photos with my iPhone. Very impressed with the bogies on the 71, a real work of art IMHI. It was fascinating listening to an ex-driver on the Southern who was saying that the 74s were so rough that you couldn't sit down when driving them, you had to stand up. A key factor to be taken into account when adding a driver to Dave's 74!

A good exhibition and well worth making a visit if you are free tomorrow. Came away with some nice Howard Scenics Flemish Bond brick papers, an 0 gauge figure from the excellent Master Piece range and I gave into massive temptation and bought the new beautiful 02. An expensive but enjoyable day out!

Godfrey

Dave the models look wonderful. I wish you did a Class 86 or Class 87.....I'll surely pick up a J94 when I can. Nice yellow SPA also. Is that one of Hugh's models to come?

Dave,

Couldn't you introduce a second early plain green version before the discount period elapses ?

Hi Phil,

i promise i'll think about it, but i am conscious of losing some sales of existing announced ones to a new one, but i'll take a look.

cheers

Dave 

• Like 1

What would be the time-line on these models now - is Easter possible?

Hi mate,

I'm going to take the 5th for a couple of months while i pull everything together if that's ok? i just need to see what i can manage with painting, production etc.

cheers

Dave

• Like 2

Kernow now taking orders for the Class 74 - go to Models in Development and select DJM to see the good range, even a weathered version.

One typo in their descriptions - shows every model as having "small full yellow ends", which is clearly wrong for the TOPS blue versions (all full yellow ends) but will be confusing for the others.

In the description , of the Class 74.

There is a statement made,that, those of us who have ordered the Class 71,

will have a discount, of £20, when you order a Class 74.

When you order has been completed on the 74, £20 will be returned.

If you cancel, your previous order of the 71, in favour of the 74,

You will not receive the discount.

IMO, I find this a very generous offer.

So, will be placing an order for a Blue,FYE.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Very good indeed on the whole.

Not sure whether you, Andy, have mentioned / picked up on a couple of points or whether these are outside the limitations of scale.

The handrails all round appear chunky and could be straighter and closer to the body panels when fitted.  Wiring is visible through at least one window; compared with the recent Bachmann 43 which offers moulded engine detail to disguise this could the 71 match that or at least hide the wires better?

Other than those points a very good representation based solely upon those images and without the benefit of having access to either the real thing or a model in person.

Many thanks for posting the photos, Andy.

I'm going all wobbly with excitement, seeing my investment taking form.

(I'll leave it to others to comment on perceived problems - no doubt they will, in the tradition of RMweb.)

• RMweb Premium

Oh I'm wobbly enough with excitement.   Not for the 71 but I've parted with the moolah for a pair of the closely-related 74s.  That was before seeing the close-up EPs for the 71 and no, nothing has made me reconsider and the order will stand.

Very good indeed on the whole.

Not sure whether you, Andy, have mentioned / picked up on a couple of points or whether these are outside the limitations of scale.

The handrails all round appear chunky and could be straighter and closer to the body panels when fitted.  Wiring is visible through at least one window; compared with the recent Bachmann 43 which offers moulded engine detail to disguise this could the 71 match that or at least hide the wires better?

Other than those points a very good representation based solely upon those images and without the benefit of having access to either the real thing or a model in person.

Hi mate,

You fear not.

The handrails are overlong and not indicative of the close fitting ones used. As such at the minute they bow when as we know they shouldn't.

Body side window will be painted behind the glass and if that doesn't look good I'll paint the chassis and disguise the wires totally.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 4

Had the pleasure of seeing this in the flesh at Peterbrough over the weekend - it really is an absolutely stonkingly stunning model.  The handrails do appear to be a little pronounced, although I'm not entirely sure I'd have picked that up if I hadn't read Gwiwer's comments above and Dave Jones' reply beforehand. 

With every new tantalising glimpse of DJM's developing products, the more impressive the whole operation appears - superb attention to detail, intriguing product range, innovation and reasonable prices.  Early days, but I wonder if Mr Jones' bank manager isn't going to be rather pleased with him (or her) self.

There, that's enough praise for now .... will you please produce the damned thing in N gauge??!!

MW

If anyone would like to see it running keep your eyes peeled at Peterborough this weekend.

Rats!  I was at Peterborough but I only just caught up with this thread, so I didn't know to look and I didn't see it.

Note to self:  I must keep up wth developments on RMweb.

Is it just me, or do those wheels look a little coarse in the front view?

Are these the wheels that will be fitted to production models?

If you still have that sample, it would be really useful if you could take a micrometer to it and let us know the back to back measrement and flange widths.

According to S-4.2, for RP25/110 wheels, back to back should be 14.55mm plus 0.05 minus 0.18, the flange thickness should be no greater than 0.76mm and the tread width no greater than 2mm.

My concern is because I still have the problem that my Well Tank derails on my 00-SF track, due to flanges that are a bit wider than the above, and back to back set much wider, putting it over-gauge on my pointwork. I spoke to Dave at the Barrow Hill show and he assured me that the spec to the factory is 14.4mm back to back. Kernow kindly let me measure anohter example on their stand and it was the same as mine. At some point I will pluck up courage to take it apart and try to adjust the back to back, but it would be good if I don't have to do that on future models.

I note that the Model Rail review of the new Adams O2 measures the back to back  as 15mm, and report some binding on curves, so if there is a problem with the factory setting the wheelsets up correctly, it would be good to catch it now on this new model.

Edited by PeteB

I've got the first EP sample of the 71 in front of me at the moment running very sweetly up and down the length of the workbench. I spotted a few minor things and had a chat with Dave and these details will appear in the more detailed 2nd EP stage, this EP is just to see if the shape and dimensions are right and how it all hangs together. As you'll see in the images there's a wealth of detail already.

If anyone would like to see it running keep your eyes peeled at Peterborough this weekend.

I'd like to pick up and agree with a comment made by Ian Taylor on MRE Mag today, wherein the the radii to the cab / front corners come under scrutiny.  As Ian says, you'll notice that on the real thing, the radii taper in, from top to bottom. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_71#/media/File:E5001_at_Doncaster_Works.JPG. Whereas .on the model, it appears that it remains a constant radius all the way down.

I'd like to pick up and agree with a comment made by Ian Taylor on MRE Mag today, wherein the the radii to the cab / front corners come under scrutiny.  As Ian says, you'll notice that on the real thing, the radii taper in, from top to bottom. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_71#/media/File:E5001_at_Doncaster_Works.JPG. Whereas .on the model, it appears that it remains a constant radius all the way down.

Yes, I had the same thoughts.

Infact from the side profile, it seems as if it increases....

http://rmweb.co.uk/photos/DJM_Class71/DJM_Class_71_EP1_6.jpg

http://rmweb.co.uk/photos/DJM_Class71/DJM_Class_71_EP1_7.jpg

http://rmweb.co.uk/photos/DJM_Class71/DJM_Class_71_EP1_13.jpg

Doesn't really seem to match the CAD

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/Class_71/Class_71_Bodya.jpg

Edited by Rusty.J
  • Like 1

I think you might be right - but it's fairly slight? However, I believe Dave has made changes on the EP over the CAD elsewhere, such as the cab roof and around the windows. We're better off at this stage comparing the model with photos of the real thing rather than the CAD.

• Like 1