OO Gauge class 71 Electric Locomotive

DJM Dave

Safe? I was using Hob-E-Lube gear oil on a J94 when the tube burst and covered me and the loco in gloopy oil. Mercifully, the carpet monster didn’t want any. All I got from Bachmann was that thousands had been sold and it hadn’t happened before. I think I’ll go for the premium stuff as in that excellent video. It seems to have a transparent applicator so that I can see when the oil is about to emerge.

I can’t imagine why Peco has given up the idea of a long, thin applicator and now supplies its oil with a thick stubby one. It’s horrible and is what made me get Hob-E-Lube instead.

(I know you meant something different by “safe”. :))

I always 'decant' oil from its original container and apply with a blunt pin, a'la the old Tri-Ang oil bottles:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=triang+oil+bottle&client=tablet-android-pega&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwijuO2nrPHTAhXlA8AKHb89CYAQ_AUICigC&biw=960&bih=600#imgrc=jN40S0hLBKP1fM:

Pic for illustration purposes only :)

Maybe one day mate, maybe one day.

Cheers

Dave

Yes please!

Had a look at mike's movies review. Very well done! That should silence a few DJM naysayers :) I bet you have quite the smug face on :) Surprised you didn't ship a few with a special optional FU headcode :D

Safe? I was using Hob-E-Lube gear oil on a J94 when the tube burst and covered me and the loco in gloopy oil. Mercifully, the carpet monster didn’t want any. All I got from Bachmann was that thousands had been sold and it hadn’t happened before. I think I’ll go for the premium stuff as in that excellent video. It seems to have a transparent applicator so that I can see when the oil is about to emerge.

I can’t imagine why Peco has given up the idea of a long, thin applicator and now supplies its oil with a thick stubby one. It’s horrible and is what made me get Hob-E-Lube instead.

(I know you meant something different by “safe”. :))

LOL yeah, plastic safe is what I meant :) you are right the Premium range are far better, but to be honest that gear lube is quite a pain to dispense sometimes. 

Quick question to Dave while we are about it, how easy and what hazards are there to exposing all the gear and motor linkages on the 71?

Would like to check the motor bearings have been oiled and the same with the links

Edited by mikesndbs

Without any doubt Hob-E-Lube from Woodlands Scenics, probably want the medium oil for the gears and lite oil for stock axles and coupling rods on other locos.

Very safe, very good quality. 

I have not received my 71 yet, but if pick ups are of the bearing type then keep oil away from those. For gears, you need an oil which sticks to the gears (does not fly off as they rotate) and yet thin enough that it does not act like as if you had added glue.

I still say I don't remember them ever being that dirty in green. In blue, however, those models look much more realistic (and I am not a blue livery 'basher'). :)

I have a collection of fifty-six photos of Class 71s in green livery; the dirtiest that I could find are :-

post-2274-0-37099900-1494854005.jpg

post-2274-0-04336500-1494854046_thumb.jpg

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 9

I always 'decant' oil from its original container and apply with a blunt pin, a'la the old Tri-Ang oil bottles:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=triang+oil+bottle&client=tablet-android-pega&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwijuO2nrPHTAhXlA8AKHb89CYAQ_AUICigC&biw=960&bih=600#imgrc=jN40S0hLBKP1fM:

Pic for illustration purposes only :)

Not a bad idea, as it turned out!

A first chance to see the production versions of Kernow MRC's limited edition weathered Class 71s. The weathering, copied from Mercig masters, really brings to life the wealth of bogies ,cabling detail and pantograph detail.

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/55295/OO71-097-DJ-Models-Class-71-Electric-Locomotive-number-E5002

attachicon.gifOO71-097 DJ Models E5002 - 1.jpg

attachicon.gifOO71-097 DJ Models E5002 - 2.jpg

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/55294/OO71-098-DJ-Models-Class-71-Electric-Locomotive-number-E5019

attachicon.gifOO71-098 DJ Models E5019 - 1.jpg

attachicon.gifOO71-098 DJ Models E5019 - 2.jpg

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/55293/OO71-099-DJ-Models-Class-71-Electric-Locomotive-number-71-008

attachicon.gifOO71-099 DJ Models 71008 - 1.jpg

attachicon.gifOO71-099 DJ Models 71008 - 2.jpg

attachicon.gifOO71-099 DJ Models 71008 - 3.jpg

attachicon.gifOO71-099 DJ Models 71008 - 4.jpg

I will admit I was really tempted to cancel my crowd sourced clean blue and go for the weathered one which I greatly preferred, but decided to rest with the crowd sourced one. I had already previously cancelled the crowd sourced BR green one for Hattons green golden arrow version which was the one I wanted in the first place.

The weathered blue would have complimented the weather 74 already ordered.

Edited by JSpencer

DCC Sound from Legomanbiffo:

We have been testing two of these fantastic models, they make the Hornby ones seem like they were designed by Noddy!!!!   This model is a DCC Ready machine in every way.

We have amended our ESU Decoder to take advantage of the capability of the models circuit board & speaker design. Below we have written a blow by blow account of how easy it is to fit sound into this brilliant locomotive:

The two green DJM 71's arrived here today. Very impressive. Two minutes to fit chip and speaker, that's including soldering the bass reflex in. Sounds miles better than the Hornby one, obviously, with the full-size V4 chip and better bass reflex Supersound 3W speaker. I've tweaked the project to suit the mech and the auxiliary outputs they've used, light brightnesses etc.

The cab lights are individually controllable (Aux1 & Aux2) but the headcode lights can only be set to come on at both ends at once as they're both fed from one auxiliary output (Aux 3). I've set the cab lights to change ends automatically and auto-extinguish, on F19. The headcode lights are on F20.

Bif 

• Like 1

A first chance to see the production versions of Kernow MRC's limited edition weathered Class 71s. The weathering, copied from Mercig masters, really brings to life the wealth of bogies ,cabling detail and pantograph detail.

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/55295/OO71-097-DJ-Models-Class-71-Electric-Locomotive-number-E5002

attachicon.gifOO71-097 DJ Models E5002 - 1.jpg

attachicon.gifOO71-097 DJ Models E5002 - 2.jpg

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/55294/OO71-098-DJ-Models-Class-71-Electric-Locomotive-number-E5019

attachicon.gifOO71-098 DJ Models E5019 - 1.jpg

attachicon.gifOO71-098 DJ Models E5019 - 2.jpg

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/55293/OO71-099-DJ-Models-Class-71-Electric-Locomotive-number-71-008

attachicon.gifOO71-099 DJ Models 71008 - 1.jpg

attachicon.gifOO71-099 DJ Models 71008 - 2.jpg

attachicon.gifOO71-099 DJ Models 71008 - 3.jpg

attachicon.gifOO71-099 DJ Models 71008 - 4.jpg

I am curious, why no splodges of grease on the buffers? The only way they would appear like that is if they had been running around light engine for weeks! I know it is easy to add if I wanted to, but then again that should mean it would be easy to do at the factory too...

But apart from that they look superb!

Edited by Titan

My 2 71's (E5003 Green SYP and 71013 Blue FYE) arrived today one with a slightly crunched corner (Heart wrenching moment) on the box but otherwise ok and the other was fine. Packaging is excellent with these and very well thought our and on opening the box the anticipation was killing me as this was the first time I had actually seen one in the flesh.

All I could say was

WOW!

They are truly stunning.

A quick oil and then run in 10 mins in each direction mainly to test them and check my controllers (Guagemaster model W walkabouts) would be ok.

Smooth slow speed control and no Idea what the top speed of these things should be but they look pretty good to me.

I'm so glad that I chose to stay with the DJM crowd funded models (as I believed they would be something special but as photos never do things justice, I never realised how special) over Hornby as I think they really do have the edge over them with all the fine details that sometimes bring things to life and that's no slur against the Hornby model either as it really is a good model in its own right.

Thank you very much Dave for producing these beautiful little models.  I just cant wait to see the 74 now and hopefully the recent surge in interest will help move it in to production.

A Much apprerciated Trialrage    

Edited by TRAILRAGE

Cab lights ... a totally unneccesary and annoying feature on analogue if you can't switch them off. Drivers don't drive with the cab light on as they can't see where they are going. This 71 at least does have a switch.

Edited by SGP

Cab lights ... a totally unneccesary and annoying feature on analogue if you can't switch them off. Drivers don't drive with the cab light on as they can't see where they are going. This 71 at least does have a switch.

In years gone by, lorry drivers driving with their cab lights on was a signal to others that there was "trouble" ahead. My late father would drive with the dashboard lights turned off so as to aid his night vision.

Edited by Judge Dread
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

I've posted this on my web site under maintenance, and here to let you know what does what on the class 71.

Cheers

Dave

Dave, you may not be aware that certain DCC systems, certainly Digitrax, maybe NCE and other US-developed systems, have F2 as a non-latching button, as it is intended to be used for the whistle/horn. This may involve those users in some function re-mapping. Something to consider avoiding for future production? 

Dave, you may not be aware that certain DCC systems, certainly Digitrax, maybe NCE and other US-developed systems, have F2 as a non-latching button, as it is intended to be used for the whistle/horn. This may involve those users in some function re-mapping. Something to consider avoiding for future production?

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the post. Yes, I know about the non latching of F2, and it does mean that F2, if indeed you are going to use it, will mean re-mapping, but it is, I understand, quite easy, if a pain to do in the first place.

Cheers

Dave

Not quite true for the NCE: the F2 button is latching, but they also have a "Horn" button that duplicates F2 but is non-latching.